Phoenix, AZ area Fiberglass TT Maintenance? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Exclamation Phoenix, AZ area Fiberglass TT Maintenance?

Hi All!

It's been a long time since I have posted! Buying a fixer-upper house 5 years ago took all my focus and attention, so I am only now getting back to renovating my Bigfoot B19. The inside is in terrific shape, but the outside needs some TLC for it to be road-ready again. At this point, I am pretty burnt-out on doing any home improvements all by myself, so I am looking for someone (or a couple someones) who can help me with the major stuff. Are there any Phoenix-area Fiberglass Travel Trailer owners out there who have some good referrals for maintenance folks here in the Phoenix, Arizona area? I am looking for someone who has a MUCH more reasonable hourly rate than Camping World (I am on a tight budget) and just as importantly, is honest and reliable! This is a list of some of the work I would like to get done:

1. Test all electric components - especially the circuit board and converter and if needed, repair/replace. I have no idea where I would get these if they need replacing, so input much appreciated
2. Test and, if needed, repair/replace fridge and AC. I would try to buy refurbished replacements for those if needed. Any input on where to get them much appreciated.
3. Because the fiberglass coating on the roof was a bit rippled from its prior owners allowing the AC opening to leak, I really would like the fiberglass built up around the opening to create a totally level surface for the AC unit. When I first got it (8 years ago) I created a level surface out of very heavy duty styrofoam but even though the travel trailer has been covered the entire time I've owned it, the marine grade caulk I used to caulk around the styrofoam base has not held up in the Phoenix heat, so I would like to create a more permanent level base for the unit to sit on.
4. Reseal lights and vents.
5. Remove the old original decals.
6. Refinish the gel coat (I have the Verglas product but if there are better gel coat refinishing systems, I would love to hear about them.).
7. Replace the window in the door (any ideas on where to get a replacement window?)
8. The door also needs the fiberglass refinished so that the texture/fibers are not showing through at the surface.
9. Install heavier-duty security lock on door.
10. Possibly install shocks (I want to get it ready to take off-grid and heard some people say that installing shocks makes it smooth as butter on backroads... not planning to go off-roading in it, just want to preserve the trailer if I am on a washboard road).

Prefer someone to work on it at my house, so a MOBILE travel trailer repair person would be ideal. I have found some postings on Craigslist for various repair people, but thought I would also ask for referrals, because nothing beats word-of-mouth referrals from FGRV owners!

I am also posting separately to ask for input/suggestions about modifications I would like to make later on (as budget allows)...

Thanks everyone - hope to get the Bigfoot in shape to attend the upcoming Oregon Gathering, but if not, then something else later this coming year!

Val
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Val, there is a woman named Eileen Trombley Glick that is on the Casita forum and on the facebook group for Casita. She lives in PHX and I'm sure would be a good resource for you.
Patti
I'll be in PHX in about a week--can hardly wait!
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Hi Patti,

Thanks for your response! I've met Eileen Glick several years ago, before buying the Bigfoot! She showed my then-partner and me her darling Casita. Thanks for the reminder to contact her - I will do so. You're not heading to Phoenix too late... it's only starting to cool down a little now, so perfect timing to avoid the worst of the heat!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: DiAnn
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
AZ
We have a 21' BF used but new to us. Will follow this thread for future neds. Have fun with your project. We love our BF.��
dibot is offline   Reply With Quote