Picked up a 1974 Perris Pacer ( where to get parts)? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: patrick
Trailer: perris pacer
California
Picked up a 1974 Perris Pacer ( where to get parts)?

Hi guys,
My wife and I are new to t he forum and to the trailer life. We just picked up a 1974 Perris Pacer and plan on restoring it the best we can. Does anyone have a good source for parts? new or used.
We definitely want to do this right and add our own touches as well.
Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Oldskater68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Patrick!

Parts... depends on what you need. Most of the normal wear items are standard RV stuff, available online or at your local RV supply. Others are standard hardware stock. A few specialty items, like door hinges and rebuild kits, door seals, are stocked by Scamp and may be interchangeable with your Boler-derived trailer. Windows tend to be trouble.

What are you looking for?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #3

Name: patrick
Trailer: perris pacer
California
Thanks for the reply Jon
I was starting to see the similarities in the Bolers and the Pacers. So mostly everything plastic on the outside is shot.
The plexiglass windows front and back are faded but I think I can clean them up but the seals are questionable. We’re just getting into it so there will be a lot . I will check the biker and scamp stuff.
Oldskater68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Picked up a 1974 Perris Pacer ( where to get parts)?

Plexiglass front and back windows are no problem. It’s the glass windows that open that can get complicated.

Buy the plexiglass anywhere- use the old window as a template to cut to size. The gasket can be ordered online or through a glass shop. If you’re replacing the gasket, go ahead and replace the plexiglass at the same time. It’s not worth the trouble to try to save a cloudy or scratched window. The cost is mostly in the labor, yours or someone else’s. The parts are cheap.

Plastic stuff like fill spout for the water tank, electric cord port... is common RV stock.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #5

Name: Hannah
Trailer: Perris Valley Trailer
California
Tow hitch and electrical ping

Hi,
My parents just gave me their 1974 Perris Pacer and my husband and I are in need of some advice regarding our tow hitch. The tow hitch we currently have on our vehicle has a 4 wire electrical ping and the trailer has 7 electrical wire ping. We cannot upgrade our vehicle electrical to accommodate the 7 wire ping because its very costly. Has anyone every altered their trailer to a 4 electrical ping? I am aware that I will be loosing the ability to charge during tow but would like any advice as this is totally new to us. Thank you kindly.
hmaniglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmaniglia View Post
Hi,
My parents just gave me their 1974 Perris Pacer and my husband and I are in need of some advice regarding our tow hitch. The tow hitch we currently have on our vehicle has a 4 wire electrical ping and the trailer has 7 electrical wire ping. We cannot upgrade our vehicle electrical to accommodate the 7 wire ping because its very costly. Has anyone every altered their trailer to a 4 electrical ping? I am aware that I will be loosing the ability to charge during tow but would like any advice as this is totally new to us. Thank you kindly.
More important, you are giving up the ability to connect trailer brakes. Brakes are required in California for any trailer over 1500#. Your fully loaded trailer will likely cross that threshold. Does your trailer have brakes? What vehicle do you have, and what are they quoting to upgrade to 7-pin? Where did you get the quote?

The short answer is yes, you can buy an adaptor to connect a 7-pin trailer connector to a 4-pin connector on the vehicle. But it's a short-term solution only. Here's one.
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Tra...df_B07WYXPWP5/
Old 03-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #7

California
Hi,
Sorry, I'm not using the correct terminology, don't know the correct term. It's a 4 round wiring harness to a 7 round wiring harness. Trying to bridge the disconnect.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #8

California
Hi Jon in AZ,

Its a 1974 Perris Valley Pacer Trailer and it doesn't have brakes. The maximum gross vehicle weight rating is 1495 lbs. and my tow capacity on my 2019 chevy traverse is 1500 lbs. My tow vehicle is under warranty and Chevy's factory tow package comes with a 4 pin connection. My trailer has a 7 pin connector. I am just trying to figure out the best way to connect the two. Please help. That link on Amazon seems like a pretty easy fix. What would you guys do?
Old 03-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
For reference, the product you're looking for is a "4-flat to 7-round adaptor" (you go front-to-back). Some have the extra wires so you can add the additional circuits. The one I linked does not; the extra circuits are dead ends.

The adaptor will get you started. It's not ideal. 1500# is marginal, and I think you're going to want brakes sooner than later.

As to next steps, I recommend weighing your trailer as you prep for your first trip. My experience is most Scamp/Boler style 13'ers exceed 1500# when loaded. You will probably need to pack lightly. Also, check your Traverse owner's manual regarding brakes. My 3500# rated Pilot specifies trailer brakes over 1000#. Last, check to see whether your trailer axle has the square mounting flange for brakes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Flange_LI.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	139880

Tags
perris pacer