Piddly things I need to have done...worried about cost - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If you're talking about a piece on the top of the tank with a little bar on top of it, that is from the manufacturing process. After they're done, they spin that with a router, and it melts itself into the tank, it's not supposed to come loose. Some people have cut holes in their tanks and installed deck hatches so they can clean them.

As for wiring cost, it depends on where it has to be ran. I put the new cord setup in mine in an hour and a half or so.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Be careful about tapping into existing light circuits for a 12 VDC outlet. The wiring for lights is often sized for the much smaller load and may not do well if you need the full 10 amps that 12 VDC outlets are rated at. If it's just for the Television or a computer you should be OK, but much more than that and you might start blowing light fuses and/or dropping voltage due to smaller wires.

Tip: If the lights all dim when you use the 12VDC outlet you may be overloading the wiring.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I thought of changing my power cord to a plug-type, but concluded that since I'd have to store it anyway, there'd be no gain in moving it.

Do take heed of Bob's advice above re. 12v power- I don't know about your Scamp, but the wire in my Trillium is sized to accommodate the lights only. My single 12v outlet is on light wire connected directly to the converter. The 12v side of the fridge is also on a (fused) line of its own, and a very heavy one at that. I recommend professional advice (or at least a knowledgeable amateur- friend?) for the new 12v outlets, as it may require new fusing and who knows what else. This not to mention that not all 12v off-the-rack outlets are created equal...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #24

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Hi Sharon, I feel we both are in similar positions, age, learning, not knowing etc., something's I am unable to do and have no problem learning from other's. just had the '89 Scamp in shop costs more than I wanted. When I backed in and hooked up(only second time) I did everything correct and of course last thing was to check all the lights. They had just installed new plug the other one was frayed, taped etc. Anyway the lights did not come on TV. The service guy said I did not have it in right. Wrong, did and a new guy had not wired right..still in shop. Finding each step is a learning step, I have no problem asking for help and taking note. I happen to be a visual learner so seeing it done helps me remember next time. Give yourself credit for what you are doing. There are no wrongs just learning.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #25

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
I hear you Anita and Francesca. That's why I think some advice, while it might be fine on some issues, is not really good on other issues when advising a total rookie. I don't know propane, electric, or solar. For me to just jump in with fingers crossed and "do stuff" might not be a good idea. Cabinet work, plumbing stuff, things like that I'm okay with.

When I mentioned repacking bearings and the price at a nearby RV service place, I was holding my breath that no one would suggest I try and figure out how to do it myself. I've seen where LOTS of folks deal with bearings in their driveways and garages and probably do a heck of a fine job. But that as a DIY is not in the cards for me.

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Anita and Sharon have the right idea, some things you shouldn't try to do unless a qualified and experienced person is with you to show you how. It's not that some stuff is beyond people's ability, they just need proper hands on instruction how to do it. Some posts describing how to do things actually scare me because I know the information is wrong, or I can tell the person asking how, really shouldn't be attempting that task. Rather than get into an argument or debate, I've learned to not look at some threads.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #27

Kansas
I don't know your area at all, but maybe craigslist and find a handyman with references? neighbors/friends/relatives, or their kids? (almost) any RV/auto place is going to charge you an arm and a leg to do it.

The Rv place here is $110/hr. If I paid that, I would probably have 20-30k in labor on mine so far. I'm not faulting them for that, they have a right to make money, I'm just saying it gets prohibitive.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
deryk, it won't cost "nothing" since I have no tools. I'd have to do the google search you suggest and try to assimilate the info, at the same time figuring out what tools to buy for these tasks. I am not "handy" at the tender age of over-60, so even with tutorials in my face I might not feel too confident doing this stuff. We'll see.

Sharon
If everybody could do anything by just reading the internet I would be a brain surgeon. In my book it takes an intelligent person to recognize the limits of their capabilities
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #29

Colorado
Thank you Mary & Bob last rving was in 90's pop-up(simple) then a new Lance camper with all bells and whistles so much so you just pushed a button. The Scamp I bought is a '89 and I was so tickled did not realize how different it was from the other's, also now being solo makes such a difference. Regardless I am determined. Yes, I have put more money in it than expected.Learning more everyday and know when it is finished that it will be well- maintained but most of all safe and I will have valuable info to refer too! So I am green but it beats sitting at home grumbling for I know how to, when not,who to ask. The cost is minor when you consider the price of a new one! Best thing I will be safely on my new journey! Thanks for the wonderful input, everyone!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #30

Texas
Steve, there are youtube videos for "how to" surgeries. lol.

But seriously, if this was just a "fun and games" trailer I'd take out in "vacation mode" a few times a year, I'd try some of these DIY mods for sure, all in the spirit of fun and games (and so what if I screw up). But this is going to be my home on wheels for any number of years, and I need to get the important stuff right, and from the get-go, so I can settle in comfortably and love my new life.

I look at the wonderful mods by Jon V. to his Escape 17 and Jim/Harley to his 19' Escape, mods by John Schroeder to his 19' Scamp, and of course grand daddy Norm's brilliant mods to his 16' Scamp. The Casita moders are a world unto themselves as well.

What I've come to realize is that so many of these mod-folks have TONS of experience in specialized areas like electrical, welding, woodwork, etc. I think the best (and only) way to show our respect for their skills is to admit to ourselves that many of us do not possess these skills whatsoever. I can, hopefully, learn some of their baby skills, but I definitely know when to cry "uncle" when I'm clueless.

Sharon
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #31

Colorado
So truly there with you..always admire those that can do the awesome jobs! Learning, creating ideas from what they share. Like you call for help when it's out of my experience. We all have something wonderful to share with each other! Hang in there Sharon help is coming for you I am sure!!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #32

Texas
Indeed my friend. We're survivors after all. And we will learn as we go along, and hopefully remember what it's like to know so little "hands on" stuff.

S.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #33

New York
I've only looked at one you tube how to video, and it was about how to install decals on a vehicle. I have to admit that although I have done it quite a few times I could not consider myself an expert in that field. My concern is that just because someone does a you tube video on how to do something, are they an expert and is their information correct. What I'm afraid of is that someone may do a modification or repair wrong resulting in an unsafe condition. Over the years I've seen people that know what they're doing, and others that think they know. I've seen on forums where I can tell that the one asking a question just doesn't understand the answers, and that creates the situation where something can go terribly wrong. There are times when we just have to pay the price to a shop that we hope will do it right, and hope they really know what they're doing.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One important point about knowing how to do something, is then knowing if the work you're paying for is done properly and at a reasonable price. People get taken everyday by repair people who really don't know what they're doing when trying to repair all molded trailers. Just think of those that had a leaking window and the repair was to slather silicone around the outside of the window frame. And it's even worse when the owner paid to have it done. Knowledge is power!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #35

New York
And on the subject of paying people that supposedly know what they're doing. Remember just recently one member here lost a wheel after paying to have either tires or wheel bearings done. Did we ever hear how he made out, last I knew he was sitting along the road somewhere. Can't remember his name, but he was towing with an old Bronco.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #36

Kansas
I lost my pickup tire at 75 after a rotate and balance, while pulling the car trailer. I was not happy.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #37

Texas
Donna, I agree with that 100%. I'm hoping when I take my Scamp to Larry Gamble's place for some important (to me) mods, he'll let me watch all he does. Short of the experience of DIY, watching a pro in action and asking questions is the next best thing.

Onward and upward, as they say. I need to make memories.

S.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #38

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
One important point about knowing how to do something, is then knowing if the work you're paying for is done properly and at a reasonable price. People get taken everyday by repair people who really don't know what they're doing when trying to repair all molded trailers. Just think of those that had a leaking window and the repair was to slather silicone around the outside of the window frame. And it's even worse when the owner paid to have it done. Knowledge is power!
I dont want to know what one of my neighbours recently paid to have an RV place do a great deal of work on their Trillium. The cost of all the silicone they used was probably more than I would have paid for all the work they did
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #39

Texas
That reminds me Carol -- after watching the video on heat seal connectors (which seems a great way to make waterproof connections), I looked under the benches, cabinets, and so on at all the wiring in my Scamp. Is it just me, or are some areas a tangled mess with excess all over the place? I mean, I'm kind of a neat freak (maybe anal is a better description if you could see how I got all my cable cords here at home wrapped), and if I knew what I was doing I'd certainly go in and clean some of that mess up!!! I wouldn't want to fool with the excess quite yet, not knowing if some of it might come in handy for future electrical needs. But sheesh, talk about a bad hair day, using wires in place of hair.

Sharon
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
I'm hoping when I take my Scamp to Larry Gamble's place for some important (to me) mods, he'll let me watch all he does. Short of the experience of DIY, watching a pro in action and asking questions is the next best thing.

Francesca ...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote