Pinhole in Gas Pressure Regulator? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I've never had trouble with the gas in my 1978 Trillium 1300, but today, when I went to turn on the gas at the tank, in order to test out the propane capabilities of my refrigerator, I heard a hissing sound coming from just above the regulator. After testing with soapy water, making sure all the fittings were properly tightened, etc., I discovered that the gas was actually coming out of a HOLE! This hole seems to have always been there; certainly road debris wouldn't have created it, and yet I've never heard gas hissing out of it before. Any advise would be greatly appreciated - I've taken a couple of pictures to illustrate my problem.

Thanks!
Daisy

(Click either picture to enlarge)

Click image for larger version

Name:	regulator1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	5181

Click image for larger version

Name:	regulator2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	5182
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Daisy,

Nice pictures! I think you have a faulty regulator and they are not repairable. You should consider having it checked by an expert to see if it needs to be replaced. The regulator looks pretty old and beat up. Probably not safe to try to use it.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Pressure regulators do vent in an over-pressure situation. Generally that will only occur if the pressure builds up from heat to a set pressure value or if the regulator has become defective. If the temperature conditions were moderate when it occurred, I'd also vote for replacing the regulator. Although there is probably someone around who can test them, by the time you find that "someone" and pay them, it'll probably be far less expensive to buy a new one and swap it out (regulators are $20 to $40 depending on whether they're single or two stage and auto-switch for tandem tanks). After all yours HAS served faithfully for nearly twenty-nine years... I don't think it owes you anything!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A new one is inorder. There is a small hole that allows the regulator to work however if the diaphram gets ruptured, gas will leak out. Just get a new one and they do not cost very much at all. If you want one for free go to the city dump and get one off the best looking gas grill that you find.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane