Play-Mor II Rebuild. Need guidance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/alb...p?pic_id=36060

As you can see from the pic above, the window I have removed is a big Hehr Slider (72"x18"). The wood backing on the inside of the RV was rotting in several places from water damage. Obviously the window had been leaking like a sieve.

I have two/three options: (Maybe you can suggest other options)

1. Attempt to repair and replace the existing window making the assumption that the leaks were from failure of the butyl putty rather than a defective window. If it leaks after replacement it can always be removed again.

2. Glass the HUGE 72"x18" opening and install a smaller new window.
3. New 72x18 window -- really not an option in my book.

My major question: Has anyone attempted to glass/patch such a large opening and what was the results????
AND -- How did you go about the repair if you have done so?

Other helpful suggestions?? I need to decide within the next 2-3 years

Geron

Edited: Just got off the phone with Hehr. They don't make the window anymore and had very few suggestions about repair. Oh Well.

Geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, so it leaked. Was it because the window frame is broken, glass missing, etc. Or was it because the caulk was bad.... We've had people glass in sides of trailers to either change the shape or size of the window... hopefully one of them will pop in. Other than that, if you want to replace with the same size... perhaps Sunview Industries has a window... they're the Hehr equivalent in Canada.
Window and Window Parts from the Helpful-Links
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Exclamation

Dear Geron...

I have done both repairing windows and resizing holes...To close the hole I suggest you order a DVD http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userp...poxy+How-To+DVD its $18.00 bucks.

also...

In my case I used an epoxy trick I was taught in the rebuilding of my trailer and the replacement of the interior oak trim inside the fiberglass hull for my windows when I re-did them, its used in better marine cabin applications that face rough weather, it strengthens the window socket system from fiberglass flexing due to travel stresses and if the butyl ever again dries and leaked its immune to water penetration even though the butyl seal might fail...Hint...A 12 degree outward cantered bevel beginning 1/2" inside the interior trim casement ie. a created sill/window socket of epoxy bonded hard treated oak to fiberglass...It eliminates water penetration almost completely, if the window butyl dries out it is still water proof...The direct bonding of the oak trim results in creating a sill/window socket out of the fiberglass trailer hull making sure we will all be dead before it fails again...This is done in better marine construction still, its arts almost becoming a forgotten one...The cantered bevel is a trick I learned in Kodiak. The DVD covers patching the hole making it look great and consistent with original manufacture standards, it also covers the bonding process I recommend for woods to plastics. The tricks shown in this DVD applies to these trailers as well.

I kept the original windows in mine because I wanted to keep the look of the designers...These trailers are also a piece of 20th century history to me...These trailers were new technology in their day when oil was cheap...they were ahead of their time.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #4

Harry,

Just ordered the DVD. I epoxied my Teardrop but that was epoxy on a finished surface not repair.

I'm going to try to rebuild the window. The Play-Mor was only built for 3 or 4 years so if at all possible I also want to keep it origianal. Thanks for the tip. Got a pic/link of the cantered bevel process?

Geron
Old 05-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Geron,

Great!

I am glad you decided to keep the trailer it as near to original as you can...Keeping these little trailers as close as possible to their origional design is a way of preserving the ideas and spirit that went into them. Watch the video when you get it and I will be happy to exchange ideas...The video will help me explain my ideas especially the part concerning wood sealing and wood bonding to fiberglass while providing a basis to a common dialogue. I will look up some sites I might put to use for help...Meanwhile please keep the boards informed as to your progress...We are all fiberglass voyeurs here...Its just as exciting to see the successes and the set backs...I am selfishly glad your taking on a rare find so seriously and excited to see its emergence into the land of fun camping again.

The board exsists to share ideas about these trailers. I look forward to learning about this rare trailer...Others here will enjoy it too, they can contribute alot too so feel free to keep posting.

Harry

Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #6

Bump!

Here's a URL to the latest on my Play-Mor II window saga. Hope the URL works. You may have to be a member of the TD/TTT forum for it to work. If so -- Sorry!. Latest is on page 2

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic...&highlight=

Does the URL work??? Works for me in the preview panel, but I'm a member - obviously.

geron
Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Works fine for me, thanks for sharing!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
play-mor, play–pac