Playmor II Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #1

Name: Max
Trailer: Playmor
Wisconsin
Playmor II Camper

Does anyone know if the Playmore campers have a fiberglass floor? I looked under the carpet and it looks like shiny and smooth floor. The carpet is old and dirty so I wanted to replace it with something.
Letsgotothecabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You are not quite on target with this situation.

The ones that have a fiberglass shell that fully encloses around the underside of the trailer have a subfloor material on the inside of the trailer.

The fiberglass the shells are made from is not thick enough on its own to act as a floor to support the weight of people walking on it, that is why there would be plywood or some other strong subfloor installed in the interior over the bottom fiberglass of the shell. But not all FGRV trailers have fiberglass underneath, some of them just had plywood that was bonded to the fiberglass at the outside edges of the floor.

If you have a shiny surface under the carpet it might be a layer of vinyl flooring that was installed over the subfloor.

If you want to know if you have a trailer with a shell that has fiberglass on the bottom just stick your head or an inspection mirror under the trailer and look at the bottom side.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There are a few manufacturers that fully encase the wood subfloor in fiberglass. Typically the lower shell is a full bathtub, then plywood or OSB is laid inside the shell and fiberglassed in place. Trillium is one. If that's the case, then yes, there is fiberglass under the finish flooring. It won't be glossy gelcoat like the shell, though.

I don't know if Playmor did it that way, but it sounds like they might have. What does the floor look like inside the benches and cabinets?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
The floors/bottoms on my molded FG campers have all been different designs:

- 1974 Boler 13 (since sold): Top layer forms a shiny gel coat floor (mine was burnt sienna color) that extends under the cabinets and benches to the sides of the camper. Below that is a rough fiberglass bottom (no gel coat) reinforced with embedded lateral 1x6(?) wood strips.

- 1978 Trillium 4500: Top layer forms a shiny gel coat floor (mine is light yellow/cream color) that was molded together with benches and cabinets. Below that is plywood soaked in resin attached to the lower half shell. Both lower and upper half shells have gel coat exterior surfaces.

- 1979 Boler 17: Top layer is plywood soaked in resin with a thin layer of fiberglass mat on top, attached to the lower half shell. Both lower and upper half shells have gel coat exterior surfaces.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

Name: Max
Trailer: Playmor
Wisconsin
I looked under the camper it looks like a shiny box to me. Maybe fiberglass. Looks the same inside under the carpet. Thanks for the help.
Letsgotothecabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
The floors/bottoms on my molded FG campers have all been different designs:...
Wow! I didn't know there were so many different ways to approach the floor. Thanks for the lesson- very interesting!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1986 Play-Mor II & Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
I have the same camper. By from what I see from the past owner the floor is fiberglass because he drilled through it. I will be fixing the holes soon
CSiko is offline   Reply With Quote