Please Help....TOOLS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
Please Help....TOOLS

Hi All,

3-5 years before full timing becomes our reality but hubby asked me to go ahead and post this because he knows that I am a planner.

Would you please give us a list of the tools you think we should be traveling with? Please include the ones you knew you should bring but especially the ones you never thought you would need but now travel with.

We want to start looking at our organization and weight and consider this sooner rather than later.

PS.... We already use the Ryobi set so that is going.

Thanks all!

Sally and Kyle
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You can always buy not so expensive tools at Walmart or Kmart as required.
The tools you absolutely need is a jack and lug wrench for the camper. A tubles tire repair kit and portable air compressor is extremely handy and you can get them at Wal or K mart.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Scamp Specific Tools ?? | Scamp Owners International
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Your skills and understanding of your trailer will determine the tools you need for travel.
Of course pliers, screwdriver, fire lighter, maybe a VOM , a tire tool...

Material is also important...
A small tarp, duct tape, wire nuts or crimp connectors, electrical tape,penetrating oil, zip ties, tie wire...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
In addition to the above, pack a couple of crescent wrenches, one large and one small. A roll of electrical tape. Some teflon tape, in case you have a leaky water connection.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Gotta say, I carry and suggest that others carry, a lot more than mentioned. See the tip at the end.

1. A full set of standard and metric wrenches (Your TV usually needs metric wrenches.)
2. A set of metric and standard sockets with ratchet and extensions
3. Several sizes of standard and Phillips screwdrivers from small to really big.
4. Several sizes of pliers including channel locks and wire cutters
5. Two regular size vice-grips.
6. Two Adjustable wrenches, 6" & 10"
7. At least two #2 Square Drive (Robbins) screwdrivers
8. A small digital multimeter (and know how to use it before you leave)
9. A box of assorted wire terminals, splices, a wire crimping tool and at least 25' of #12 stranded wire.
10 A roll of electrical tape
11. A roll of "Real" Duct Tape (Not Duck, ask for in the HVAC section of the hardware store).
12. A roll of "Emergency Rescue Tape"
I'll add more after I look in my tool box

Here's the tip... Although you may not know how to use all of these tools, someone that stops to help may be able to use them for you. I know of a person that incurred a $400 tow bill because they didn't have a 10mm wrench with which to install a new spare fan belt when one broke in the middle of the desert.

And if you do know how to use them, you can help someone else...Karma Counts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Presume you meant Robertson.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #8

yep, my bad....

Old 07-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Being a retired truck mechanic I carry everything imaginable, but here's a couple tools that have come in handy, and they are cheap. Set of cheapo allen wrenches contains both US & metric sizes. Used them many times, mainly to fix bicycles. Other set of bits is Craftsman, but I have a set from ATD too. All kinds for various screw heads. Both these have been useful to me and to help others. Another thing I carry that has helped other campers is a lock out kit, but it wouldn't help me any if it was locked in my truck, LOL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0497.jpg   IMG_0498.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Gotta say, I carry and suggest that others carry, a lot more than mentioned. See the tip at the end.

1. A full set of standard and metric wrenches (Your TV usually needs metric wrenches.)
2. A set of metric and standard sockets with ratchet and extensions
3. Several sizes of standard and Phillips screwdrivers from small to really big.
4. Several sizes of pliers including channel locks and wire cutters
5. Two regular size vice-grips.
6. Two Adjustable wrenches, 6" & 10"
8. A small digital multimeter (and know how to use it before you leave)
9. A box of assorted wire terminals, splices, a wire crimping tool and at least 25' of #12 stranded wire.
10 A roll of electrical tape
11. A roll of "Real" Duct Tape (Not Duck, ask for in the HVAC section of the hardware store).
12. A roll of "Emergency Rescue Tape"
I'll add more after I look in my tool box

Here's the tip... Although you may not know how to use all of these tools, someone that stops to help may be able to use them for you. I know of a person that incurred a $400 tow bill because they didn't have a 10mm wrench with which to install a new spare fan belt when one broke in the middle of the desert.

And if you do know how to use them, you can help someone else...Karma Counts.
Bob, what are you doing with my stuff??
Old 07-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
After 5 or 6 years of part timing (3 to 4 months at a time) that how ever many tools I carry there's always something I need that I don't have and most of the tools I carry have never been used (that's a good thing). The results is that I purchase on the road what ever I need when I need it. Some of what you carry depends on what kind of hobbies you carry. Since I'm a "ham" (Amateur Radio Operator) I carry a lot of tools used in electronics. Another hobby is playing a Mountain Dulcimer, so carry tools to change strings, and clean and polish the instrument.
Every bodies needs and experiences are different. I don't carry stuff to repack or replace wheel bearings, there's always a shop someplace that can do that. Some would want to do the wheel bearing thing them self.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #12

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
make sure you have a jack & lug wrench that fit your ('77) CAMPER, because the ones that came in your ('08) truck won't work. voice of experience thank God for a kind & helpful NC state trooper! 2 am on the interstate was not the time or place to learn this lesson
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Tools to change a tire, rivet gun and a few rivets. The basic wire and electrical patch tools. Screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrenches..... For everything else there is master charge ;-)

There is a constant tension between being prepared and hauling a bunch of junk you don't need..... unless you do.

Work your way from front to back on your camper. Look for what is actually there for attachments and fasteners. Screws to access lights, bolts & nuts for propane or battery, fittings for water etc. Minimum tools would be the ones that would let you remove or replace those. Or make a temporary repair to what you actually see.

My tool kit will fit in a small carry bag - no bigger than a lunch box just a little longer. If I wanted to go gonzo I have two. A few drill bits and a cordless drill can be useful but it is a bit bulky/heavy. There are much smaller cordless screw drivers that would allow drilling a couple of holes if required.

Don't forget it often takes two. A wrench on the bolt and one on the nut. Lot of times you can get away with adjustable or pliers but for a tight spot need a open or box end wrench on the other side.

Don't forget the tire air pressure gage and any things such as fuses, bulbs etc. that may need to be replaced. I keep those with the tools. Little sand paper or emery cloth, small file and small wire brush. Electrical contacts (lights etc.) or battery connections that have become corroded can need a quick clean up while on the road.

Avoid gimmick tools. Screwdriver with built in flashlight and file will be a lousy screwdriver, lousy flashlight, and the file will break the first time you use it. Better off buying regular stuff that is just cheap. Harbor Freight wrenches, screwdrivers etc. are fine. Just don't get sucked into goofy tools. I have made repairs using the tools in a swiss army knife or leatherman, would rather have had the real tools.

At least a couple of small C clamps, you can twist a tourniquet between to clamps to hold a larger item together. Sometimes a clamp is useful to glue or even hold a broken item together until it can be replaced. JB Weld - don't leave home without it. Can patch plastic (plumbing) , fiberglass, and metal.

I debate ratchets most of the time they just make it faster but sometimes using them and an extension is the only way to get to the fastener. I resolve this by only carrying sockets I know fit something I have. But do carry a couple of extensions and a swivel (or two).
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
make sure you have a jack & lug wrench that fit your ('77) CAMPER, because the ones that came in your ('08) truck won't work. voice of experience thank God for a kind & helpful NC state trooper! 2 am on the interstate was not the time or place to learn this lesson

I use an old style needle and beam torque wrench as my tire lug wrench. Doubles as a big socket wrench handle. Think you can get them cheaper but they are like this one that takes both a 3/8 and 1/2 inch socket, 1/2 inch drives the lug nut socket. Use it with an extension. Apart it takes up little space. Oh I broke the number plate off, about 20 years ago which is why it takes up little space.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2430-8-...+torque+wrench
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #15

If you don't have emery cloth or a file, an emery board for touching up fingernails works fine, and is just the size to fit in the slots of a 7-pin connector.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #16

I carry a Leatherman Wave, which is the one tool that can do almost anything, but make the chore more difficult than it would have been if you had the proper tool.
Compact though.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hot water heater drain plugs(and anode) are an unusual size and tend to be very difficult to get in/out. A long socket(to clear the rather cramped area) with a long handle to help turn it will be useful. Along with plumbers tape for when you put in a new one.

I have solar - so I carry various tools and spare parts for that.

Tools are relatively easy to borrow (and often come attached with someone who knows how to use them &#128521 - what can be difficult is small bits that vibrate off, break or get lost. I carry a couple extra fasteners for my roof rack. Things like that.

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #18

Carrying an extra set of wheel bearings and seals in not that bad an idea. While many FGRV's use readily available bearings and seals that's not true of all, especially Hunters some of which seem to have a very odd size seal. I just keep the last good set of bearings we changed out and a set of new seals in a baggie. Minimal space required and we all know that the better prepared you are, the less apt you will need them.

BTW: Also add a Haynes service manual for the TV to the tool kit.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Forgive me, but I dont recall seeing a Hammer and Zip-ties. CA (Krazy glue) can come in hand as well believe it or not in certain applications. Keep it isolated in a baggie or such have you! Ummm...sounds silly but a poncho is inevitable also if you camp long enough.

I agree 100% with others with some of the tool lists.... and it depends on knowledge of the tools you carry as to whether they will benefit you or not in a crisis. Hopefully, problems will be few and far between for more happier camping excursions.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I use to carry all that stuf and finally decided that the lug wrench, jack, tubless tire repair and a 12VDC compressor is all I really need.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote