pls help with small ac unit for 13' scamp?! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #1

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Scamp 1999 13' Standard
Ohio
pls help with small ac unit for 13' scamp?!

Hello there!

We just picked up our "new" 1999 13' scamp on Tuesday! We are really excited! My husband has been working like crazy on it and has done a ton and I've done some as well.

However, our unit did not come with AC. We really need AC for summer nights and would like to get a unit asap b/c we'd like to go camping in a week or so.

I've seen and heard from small 13' owners of FG RVs that they don't really need much (the ac unit on low is totally good) but the most reasonable unit for the top venting "window" is $500.

Does anyone have any advice for us on this? I've seen cooling units (not airconditioners) and have no idea if they'd work. It seems crazy to spend $600 or more on an AC unit (Maybe I am just not familiar with how things cost or need to be).

If anyone could offer any help or suggestions I would be extremely grateful!!!

TIA!
Jeanne ♥ Happy Scamp Owner now!!!
jwannacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Instead of a roof mount you can put one in the closet our in the rear window. The cheap an easy way is to buy a small window unit from Walmart and set it up in the rear window as needed, a number of people have done that. Unless it is permanently installed dont drive with it in place. The PO gave me one he used and he made a wood bracket for it that sat in the window channel that held it up and a piece of wood that was cut out to fill the space around it and above it. Sorry I dont have any photos of mine, Others have installed them permanently into the rear window. There are lots of threads here on the topic so you can google the site for lots of great ideas.

Here are some links to what others have done to get you started:

Roof vs Closet vs Window AC

Removable Rear Window AC

Easily Removable AC

Rear window AC Scamp 13'

13' Rear Window AC

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-26008.html
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #3

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Scamp 1999 13' Standard
Ohio
Thanks Carol but we really do NOT want one in our windows. #1 we can see when driving it. #2 we want to be able to keep the windows for viewing outside.

I was just hoping to have someone know of a good place to purchase one for much less. I just don't understand why they are sooo expensive.

Thanks for your help!!!
jwannacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Jeanne -

You may wish to consider purchasing a small (size and btu output) portable ac unit and deploying it in this fashion:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ht=portable+ac
morz4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp