Plumbing hose disconnected - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: MelVee
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Plumbing hose disconnected

Hey guys, I bought a 2004 13’ Scamp a couple weeks ago. Wow does it have a lot more work that needs doing than I thought it would. Here’s my latest mystery. I can’t get water to the sink. Not with the pump and not freshwater hookup either. Can you look at this pic and tell me if this is my problem. This hose looks extremely gross, by the way.
MelVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:32 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
No picture. If a hose were disconnected and you connected to shore water, you would have water all over the place! Even using the pump you would have the same thing. Is there any water gushing anywhere in the trailer or on the ground?
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #3

Georgia
I hooked up to shore and water gushed below the sink. So it was obvious (I’m pretty embarrassed to admit) the drain was not connected to a hose. But I’m still at a loss as to why I can’t get any water from the fresh water tank to the manual pump dispenser.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #4

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelVee View Post
I hooked up to shore and water gushed below the sink. So it was obvious (I’m pretty embarrassed to admit) the drain was not connected to a hose. But I’m still at a loss as to why I can’t get any water from the fresh water tank to the manual pump dispenser.
I'm going to assume that when you turned on the faucet, water gushed below the sink not when you hooked up shore water and opened the valve at the stand. I also assume you filled up the fresh water tank. It has a separate fill port and is not filled just by hooking up to shore water.

Have you checked to make sure the line that is connected to the hand pump runs all the way and is connected to the fresh water tank? What, if anything, do you hear when you work the manual pump?
Old 03-15-2022, 08:42 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As you’ve already figured out the onboard tank and city water systems are completely separate.

For the hand pump, it takes a long time to get water from the tank to the faucet when starting from an empty line. It’s also possible the seal in the hand pump is dried out and not creating the necessary vacuum. Some folks have had success disassembling the hand pump and applying mineral oil to rejuvenate the seal.

Or just replace the whole thing- they’re easy to find and inexpensive (at least they were before COVID). Search on “RV hand pump faucet.” You might also try “marine hand pump faucet.” You might be able to find something sturdier in the marine market.

As to the disgusting hose, you can try running dilute bleach solution through. Otherwise you’ll, have to replace it. It runs through the street side dinette bench and under the fuzzy headliner across the base of the back wall between the benches. You can see a strip of headliner you have to peel back.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #6

Georgia
Thank you for these tips. I’ll try them all. I didn’t follow the hand pump hose all the way, but will do a more thorough check. I’ll then replace the pump. Needs a better one anyway.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #7

Georgia
I don’t hear anything at all. Maybe that’s a clue. I’ll follow the line all the way through. Maybe I missed something. Took me a couple hours to crawl around and find my electrical problem so I guess I will get back to it. I have to replace the converter next. At least plumbing is less scary.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:17 AM   #8

New Hampshire
I would expect some kind of noise, like gurgling or air hissing. No noise would indicate what Jon said, the seal is gone on the pump and you either can rebuild it or replace it.