Plywood floor - what do I look for? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Plywood floor - what do I look for?

We are going to look at a 1972 13' Boler this weekend. I found out over the phone that it has a plywood floor. Any I've seen so far have been fiberglass.

Does anyone have any advice specific to the floor. I did read that it tends to rot from the inside out...any truth to that? The current owner says it's in good shape, no soft spots and he has painted it underneath.

Was this plywood treated in any special way at the factory?

Is it a big deal to put in a new floor, if it's not so good.

Is it true that the newer fiberglass floors actually have plywood between two fiberglass layers? Are there any with just fiberglass and no plywood?

Any useful links that you may know of? Maybe someone has replaced a floor and have a few pics to share.

Thanks a lot. Melanie
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Yes they rot from the inside anywhere there might be water. A leak, sink, stool, etc.

Look for dark stains, etc.

Test for soft spots. A sharp pointed screwdriver will not penetrate good wood.

Fiberglass floors, each type of camper will have it's on specs.

Be sure to inquire about wheel bearings and look really good at the tires. You may want to jack up and rotate the wheels to listen at the bearings or better yet, repack if you don't feel comfortable with the sellers answers.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
There's no substitute for crawling underneath and probing the wood. While Casita has a fiberglass belly with plywood set on top of it, Scamp and many others (probably Boler too, I'm guessing) just had a plywood belly.

The most common causes of floor rot are water leaks from inside water lines and water getting in around doorway or windows. So check those areas most carefully, from inside and from underneath. Like Darwin said, inside you're mainly looking for stains (a good flashlight can help).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Forgot to mention the torsion axle. Try to see if is sagging on either or both sides. How close is the top of the tire to the inside fender well?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Yes!
Attached Thumbnails
NuFloor1.jpg  
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #6

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
Plywood Floor Age 40 years

[QUOTE=Melanie;257500]We are going to look at a 1972 13' Boler this weekend. I found out over the phone that it has a plywood floor. Any I've seen so far have been fiberglass.

Does anyone have any advice specific to the floor. I did read that it tends to rot from the inside out...any truth to that? The current owner says it's in good shape, no soft spots and he has painted it underneath.

Was this plywood treated in any special way at the factory?

Is it true that the newer fiberglass floors actually have plywood between two fiberglass layers? Are there any with just fiberglass and no plywood?
Melanie...
Under water storage tank, under sink, at doorway, infront of bath door, under water heater. Look, look carefully, inspect.
40 years is a long time, and water works in mysterious ways. I recently replaced all plywood floors in a 1990 Casita. Original plywood chips and glue were on their way to self distruction everywhere.
Three sheets of marine plywood should do the replacement. Not too expensive, if you can do the labor yourself. A lot of work, as everything has to come out to replace the floor.
Do you have friends with skills? Will they supervise? Good Luck.
Mona Simpson
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our Scamp is now 20 years old and the floor is solid. I was concerned about the exposure of the bottom of the floor on the Scamp but it doesn't seem to be an issue. Regardless I painted the bottom as a precaution.

From what I read the primary issue is leaking windows or a leaking water system. Though we have neither, as I've worked my way thru the trailer I have painted or repainted all floor surfaces under the cabinets and dinette to add further protections. As well I have filled all holes thru the bottom (wires, propane)with goop to keep water out.

If your floor starts off solid and you pay attention, the plywood floor should be fine.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote