Poll on Heating Systems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What type of heat do you prefer?
LP Gas 19 38.00%
Electric 6 12.00%
None 2 4.00%
Both 23 46.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Poll on Heating Systems

We're renovating the few things that are required in Gladys (88 Bigfoot fifth wheel) and I've been thinking about a comment that Laura made about replacing our LP heater with an electric model.

Currently, we have the stock LP heater that the manufacturer installed in our camper and I believe we need to upgrade the regulator and feed lines to the tanks. Both of the lines are the old style fittings and I'd prefer the newer "no tool" connections. On any given night/morning we have a small portable electric heater that we've pulled out of a drawer to quickly knock the chill out of the air while still inside.

However, I was wondering if it might not be better to swap the old gas unit for a new one or maybe switch all over to electric. I realize that this is a very polarizing issue and that there are manufacturers, like EggCamper, that use electric fixtures exclusively.

What do you think?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
We're renovating the few things that are required in Gladys (88 Bigfoot fifth wheel) and I've been thinking about a comment that Laura made about replacing our LP heater with an electric model.

Currently, we have the stock LP heater that the manufacturer installed in our camper and I believe we need to upgrade the regulator and feed lines to the tanks. Both of the lines are the old style fittings and I'd prefer the newer "no tool" connections. On any given night/morning we have a small portable electric heater that we've pulled out of a drawer to quickly knock the chill out of the air while still inside.

However, I was wondering if it might not be better to swap the old gas unit for a new one or maybe switch all over to electric. I realize that this is a very polarizing issue and that there are manufacturers, like EggCamper, that use electric fixtures exclusively.

What do you think?
The pigtails are easily replaced so that you get an Acme (no tool required) fitting to connect to the propane tanks. Personally, I don’t understand eliminating the propane furnace. I rarely use mine and typically use a quartz heater. But having the flexibility to use propane for heat when off grid comes in handy when it gets cold and there is no electricity.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
unhook propane

I can think of no good reason to eliminate propane a friend stays long term in a campground they have meters on the el.

in cold wx the el wont keep up so he had a 100g propane tank installed he and 30 others in the campground!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Hello Bill, looking at you photos I’m not sure if your basement is heated or not.
Your furnace looks like the one in my BF 17. And may not have ducts running throughout your trailer.

If your basement is heated, you my want to take that into consideration.
A operating heating system is just another tool. It gives you that extra insurance should you need it.

It makes the diffrents between camping or glumping.
Enjoy your post!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I guess I'd keep it if it works. I don't have a propane heater in my camper and am not really willing to pay for installing a new one, but if I already had one I would try to keep it running, just good to have options. As it is I have a very quiet generator and an electric heater if I really need it.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We were the second owners of a 1999 Scamp which did not have a furnace. The original owners lived in Minnesota and only planned on camping 3 months a year .
( Minnesota Summer) When they retired they decided to do some traveling and bought a new trailer with a furnace . We owned the Scamp for 2 years and then we decided to travel so we bought a trailer with a furnace.
A propane furnace gives you travel options.
If it was my trailer I would make sure the furnace works properly.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If your propane furnace is in good working condition I would not replace it at all, and if it was in need of replacing, replace it with a quieter propane one.

Personally, are away from the grid more than 75% of the time, so having propane is critical.

Using a portable electric where you are on the grid is a good alternative. I used to do that, but with my 5.0TA I built a 120V toekick heater into the first step to the loft, which is nice in that it is not in the way like a portable can be, and I use a thermostat right by the furnace/AC one to control the temperature.

Having the option of either one is great!

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The poll makes no sense to me.. which one that I prefer depends. If I have shore power, electric OF COURSE. If I dont have shore power, electric is not even an option.

Now if you asking if you should go all electric, I think only you can know if they will work for you and where you go with your all electric camper.

But I can tell you that I ordered my Scamp without a gas heater with plans to put one in and 2.5 years later I still dont have one and have been forced to find electric campsites when it might be too cold for me to be comfortable. Therefore I am going back to the factory to have one put in (and a little other work). I'm looking forward to the added flexibility
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
The poll makes no sense to me.. which one that I prefer depends. If I have shore power, electric OF COURSE. If I dont have shore power, electric is not even an option.
Well, would you look at that. There is now an option for "Both". How did that get there?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, would you look at that. There is now an option for "Both". How did that get there?
I thought only moderators could make that change...

Anyway, when you add an option for a Hot Water Jacuzzi, let me know.. that would be my favorite type of heat.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I thought only moderators could make that change...

Anyway, when you add an option for a Hot Water Jacuzzi, let me know.. that would be my favorite type of heat.
Do you know of any good moderators that would do that? Is there even such a thing?
Oh wait, you aren't allowed to discuss the merits of moderators in threads, are you? Can I? Oh man, I am not so confuzzled, I might need a wee cocktail.

A hot tub option in any trailer would definitely spike my interest!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
If I could choose anything, I'd choose all electric with a HUGE built-in solar collector and a stove, furnace, A/C and water heater that would run off it.

However, in the real world, for now, we'll take electric. Though if we had propane, I wouldn't get rid of it. So many national areas and others don't offer electric service.

Kai
Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

Missouri
solar

pretty hard to get solar to work in the shade the one place we camp has no shade anyhwhere unless you want to camp in the 30.00 a night spots but they run electricity.

bob
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #14

Missouri
pretty tricky jim did you do it?

bob
Old 04-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #15

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Propane heat is a nuisance, but with electric you either have to plug in, or annoy your neighbors with a generator.
We used a blue flame propane heater for years, with good results, no fan to use up elec., no chimney, it has an O2 sensor to keep us safe.
In the Boler, we use the propane furnace just while we move to somewhere warm.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #16

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
We have all electric, and now a Honda 2000 (converted to LP) for when we need it. So far we have not used it as we have drifted campsites with electric (you still need 110v for air conditioning) and we need 110v for hot water and microwave and coffee and battery charging, etc. That's why the Honda makes sense for us - even if its just for a quick hot shower or cup of coffee.

Anyway, I think this works for us now, but once we retire and REALLY travel, we most likely will want LP in the RV. One thing I like about DUAL heat and DUAL hot water - is when you are in a camp with electric, you can leave your LP tanks closed - just a peace of mind thing.

But - to answer your poll - since you have LP water heater, and LP stove, I'd go with BOTH separate electric and LP heat. And the new LP heater would not require any power or fan. This assuming there are VERY safe ones - I have not researched that!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
pretty tricky jim did you do it?

bob
Who? Little ol' sweet and innocent me?

Yeah, I added the fourth option.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
We used a blue flame propane heater for years, with good results, no fan to use up elec., no chimney, it has an O2 sensor to keep us safe.
I would prefer a CO (carbon monoxide) sensor to feel safe with unvented propane heat in the camper.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #19

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Steve Carlson:

Yeah, there's that.
(Us, too. We, also. Moi, aussi. Und, uns. Buenos Nachos.)

BEST
Kai
Old 04-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #20

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We had an all electric EggCamper and it wasn’t satisfactory in cold weather so I had our local rv place install a propane furnace and cooktop. It was a good move. Would never be without propane again. Out Escape came with propane and a 3 way fridge. The EggCamper had just a very small 12 v fridge. Too small even for me by myself and I’m no kind of cook.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote