poly glow prep - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
poly glow prep

So we have cleaned the Casita like crazy. Getting spots off and we have used the barkeepers friend. Around the lip of the belly band on the actual fiberglass part of it not the band, there as little spots that look like rust. (sort of rust in color)Small but we would like to get rid of them before we do the poly glow. The bar keepers friend didn't work and I used some comet, lightly on that area and it helped a bit but they are still visable. Do any of you know about Wink? It is a rust remover but it is pretty toxic, normally you would use it in the toilet or the sink or shower but it must be ventilated well. Do any of you use that on your eggs? Or any other suggestions? Thanks, we have a rainy weekend coming up and would like to get this put in FIL's machine shed and get started on it.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I've always heard good things about CLR (calcium lime rust remover) although I've never tried it myself. I know you can usually buy it at your typical hardware store in Canada so I'm assuming you can buy it in the States too.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
both those products have muriatic (sp??) acid in them and although I don't think they will hurt the fiberglass. I think I would rather use the same thing an auto detail man would use and that would be rubbing compound that you can get at any auto supply, the barkeepers friend is basically the same as Bon Ami, 20 mule team borax etc. the rubbing compound would be a tad more gritty, it comes in many grits and body men use it all the time on fiberglass or metal
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #4

Iowa
Well, i don't know what DH used to get that stuff off but we are off to do the poly prep then move it to my FIL machine shed to do the actual poly glo. Supposed to be severe storms today so that will be a good place for it.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Can't wait to see pics of it - be sure to post them asap!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Iowa
You know, it is a user friendly product but after 6 passes around the camper and one prep wash, i am ready for bed! It does look pretty good. We decided to leave it there and let it dry really well before pulling it home and getting any dirt in the poly glow. John for some reason, after i got my computer fixed last time i can't get pics to post. It has slowed down my activity here alot. I was having so much fun showing all the things we did to improve the camper, I will try again tomorrow. No promises though.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #7

California
Okay, thanks.. The reason I would like to see it, is to see how it compares to the red max that lots of folks are using.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

Iowa
John, you know we were doing this in a machine shed so we are going to see what it looks like when we pull it out into the light. Our camper was heavily oxidized. So there was the barkeepers friend, commet, soft scrub, a little of everything before we started this process. I hope if nothing else, maybe i can send a pic to your e mail address and you can post it?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

California
When you have the pics ready let me know. Send me a private message and I
will send you my email address and post them in this thread.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #10

Iowa
Ok John, thanks. We went over to get it this morning and it was so muddy we decided to let the wind blow and dry things up a bit before hauling it home.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #11

Iowa
Before pics...

These pics are from the day after we brought it home. It was heavily oxidized. Kind of a chalky mess. We took off the old stickers as they were peeling really bad and bought new ones and did the poly glo this weekend. Hopefully pics I take tonight will post so you can see the difference.
If you click on the pic you can see that there really isn't any shine to it.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0062.jpg   100_0063.jpg  

Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

Iowa
My after pics...

I hope i can get these to post. And I hope you can see the difference. It really looks nice. My husband is alot happier with how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0193.jpg   100_0187.jpg  

Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #13

Iowa
Yea it worked. Now i can post my head off!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #14

California
Post away!!! I think it looks a lot better too.. Or maybe its a guy thing - shiiiiinnnnyyyy... Good work!