Pop Rivet size - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Pop Rivet size

Hi,

I'm a proud new owner of a 1975 Boler 13' (Miss Boler) which has good bones but needs quite a bit of work done to her.

A number of the pop rivets holding the top cabinet and cupboard have failed and I would like to know how to replace them and what size rivet I should use?

Thanks in advance,

Elvin.
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: 30' jayco & 1974 Boler
Ontario
Registry
the rivets you are reffering to are always going to cause you problems. consider replacing them with #8 bolts and acorn nuts . buy then 3/8 , 1/2 , and 5/8 inches long . also add flat washers under the nuts an water tight cups and caps on the outside . this will fix your problem . good luck
jcstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks for the advice. It makes total sense that SS bolts would be a better way to go.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by omache27 View Post
Thanks for the advice. It makes total sense that SS bolts would be a better way to go.
Some people believe that the rivets are better because they will fail before cracking the fiberglass whereas bolts will not and then excessive stress on the glass will break it. Replacing rivets is easy and cheap, repairing damaged fiberglass not so much.

With that said, Eveland's Inc does use a couple of bolts in high stress areas - no doubt because rivets have not served well in those few spots. My 2015 16 footer has two. Be sure you don't over tighten so much that you damage the fiberglass, and my preference would be to use flat washers as needed to spread the load over a wider area and I would also prefer to use Nylock nuts.
Acorn nuts, for appearance only, would then be optional.

Snap caps can still be used on the outside just as they are with rivets. Butyl on the bolt, and further waterproofing as needed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

British Columbia
Gordon, thanks for your advice. I have noticed that many of the rivets have separated telling me that there is stress on those areas. As suggested, I now intend to replace with bolts and more of them. I will spread the load more evenly with washers as well. I am a big fan of Nylock nuts and always use them on my boat.

Elvin
Old 12-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
rivits

I don't like the rivits anywhere anyplace whenever one goes I use s/s screws and washers I replace with the original acorn nuts inside they screw right on. also with the caps there is another part for the cap to snap to. you can find them on amazon. with the snaps you get a much cleaner looking job by the way!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote