Pop-up canopy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Pop-up canopy?

Has anyone ever tried using a freestanding canopy like this instead of an attached awning?

Pro Series - 10' x 15' Straight Leg:Shelter Logic

It seems like there would be a lot of benefits vs. the options I have found so far in awnings for my BF 17. Even sticking with the crummy one I have requires a $600 investment in new canvas, and the weird way it mounts has already caused one serious leaking problem. A good new one looks way north of $1000 with labor, and might involve poking more holes in my trailer to mount it. Either one seems to increase the likelihood of leaks, add wind resistance when towing, and could easily hit something and be damaged in tight spaces.

The main problem I see with one of these in 10x10 or 10x15 is the clearance underneath - only 6'3". I would need to figure out a way to add extensions to the legs and get it up to 8 feet. I doubt one person setup could be harder than my awning, and the cost is so much lower...
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
We use a 10x10 foot gazibo and love it. It greatly extends our living space and makes a great add a room. Now we are looking for an Ozark hanging tent to place inside it but as of yet have been unsuccessful in finding one for sale.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I'm not sure how the BF awning mounts, but I just installed an A&E Trimline awning on our little Scamp. It just slides into a normal awning rail, which is easy to install on most trailers of there is not already one on it. Here's a pic right after I installed it in December:

Cost just $189.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Is that a normal installation? All the pics I see elsewhere have the poles on the ground.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ken, most of the awnings for these trailers allow two types of deployment. Carport style with the legs on the ground or the legs swivel (since they have to go into a case or bag) and can be affixed to the body (with a flat block or LARGE fender washer in the interior of the trailer) where the body brackets are mounted. I've even seen awnings deployed with one leg on the ground and one leg on the body (the one nearest the door on the ground). Sometimes when the leg is mounted on the body... it impeds the door clearace... it can't open all the way and bumps the awning leg.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 85 U-Haul 13 ft
Registry
I use a 10x10 ez up with zip in screen. It works great as an extra added room. I also had a problem with height. I add bed risers to the legs to give it an extra 10 inches.
stephanie reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use a First Up from Walmart. They used to sell them in a variety of colors, but now they only sell them in a sand color. We continue to look for blue.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
mr /ms mcbrew, does that trimline awning bag sit away from the edge of the scamp? Or does it have some type of flange to deflect the rain? I ask because the awning my friends have that they purchased from scamp, the rain runs down the edge of trailer. thanks suger, ps what length was the trimeline - 10'?
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
I ask because the awning my friends have that they purchased from scamp, the rain runs down the edge of trailer. thanks suger, ps what length was the trimeline - 10'?
Water has to go somewhere, it can be diverted by using EZ-Gutter. Or if you're talking about the gap between the awning and the trailer sides, that can be filled in with items such as pool noodles, caulking, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I don't like using the pop up canopy because it doesn't exactly pop up- it is a pain for one person to set up. Plus it is heavy (though how it compares to an awning I don't know.) But I've used it and it does get in the way of the door so raising it up a bit would help.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #11

Wisconsin
From what I've read, how easy a canopy is to pop up varies considerably by brand.

I'll try to find a place around here where I can see a trimline in person. I'm not crazy about drilling new holes, which looks necessary for the legs to attach to the body like the picture. That looks better to me than putting them on the ground. But I like the price and it looks like it wouldn't stick out or create as much wind resistance as the huge one I have when stowed. No gap between the awning and trailer seems like an important advantage, plus the pop-up takes up storage space.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our popup screenhouse is propped against the trailer. It is high enough that it goes over the door, so the door opens into more living space. We have screens around it. It keeps out a lot of bugs; they are amazingly dumb.
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul.rev.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
We use a 10x10 foot gazibo and love it. It greatly extends our living space and makes a great add a room. Now we are looking for an Ozark hanging tent to place inside it but as of yet have been unsuccessful in finding one for sale.

Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We have a pop-up awning, too. Didn't want to drill holes in camper shell, plus the price was good at an end of season. Can't remember the brand, but it can go right by the door and has a quick-attach bug screen. Depending on the terrain and the group we're with, sometimes we prefer to position it away from the Scamp, which you can't do with an attached unit. I purchased the leg weights on clearance and really like not having ropes out for people to trip over. The only thing I don't like is it is big and heavy when packed and always takes two to set up. Found an awning that packs up into a much smaller package at a fantastic clearance price this winter so we'll be testing that on our first outing.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #15

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc
mr /ms mcbrew, does that trimline awning bag sit away from the edge of the scamp? Or does it have some type of flange to deflect the rain? I ask because the awning my friends have that they purchased from scamp, the rain runs down the edge of trailer. thanks suger, ps what length was the trimeline - 10'?
It's Mr. (Jesse, if you like).

The Trimline fits into a standard awning rail. The rail is original to the Scamp, but new ones don't come with them. The rail is riveted and sealed to the body. Because of is, rain does not pass between the awning and the Scamp. You can install an awning rail on any camper... The only drawback on a curved camper is that you can't go all the way from edge to edge. My awning rail allows for a 7' awning, but you could install a longer awning if it is a hard case style, like Scamp uses now. That's the kind that has feet that mount to the camper, and then there is a space between the camper and the awning for rain to pass through,

I hope that helps.