Port Townsend WA Ferry - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #21

Name: Andy
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Hi,
We tried to make the trip, but ... The Ferry failed to show up. When we got to the staging area, reservation in hand, we were advised it was not coming due to a mechanical problem. we gave up and took a ferry towards Seattle. Bummer. We also did not have time to drive the Olympic peninsula due to the lost time and added distance. It sounded as though this was not an isolated situation. The estimate was a four hour delay, or more. The drive through Seattle on 5 was not great fun or very scenic.

Andy B.
Chickadee, Escape 21
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Well thatís a bummer. Come again and spend some time!😊

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #23

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I take it to avoid Seattle (I live on Whidbey) and it is worth every penny to do that!

You are technically required to have reservations with an RV. The ferry sometimes gets cancelled due to high winds but you really don't want to be on it on the ferry before the one that gets cancelled, anyway. Summer time usually is fine.

Weekdays in the summer you may be able to get a couple of nights at the campground but reserve as soon as you know you want to go that way- I have my July weekday reservations already and pickings were slim seven months in advance (reservations open 9 months in advance. If you want to visit off season, you are probably better off picking a site down near the ferry dock or on the inside, as it can be very windy.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #24

Name: Benny
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I retired from Washington State Ferries after 30 years.
Good advice is check the WSDOT site. Get reservations. The campground at Fort Casey is first come first serve. Deception pass is a great park so get reservations. We took out Casita there and got a site across the road and had a great time .
Bgreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #25

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Missed sailings are always a possibility although no all that common. Mostly it is just missing a ferry you wanted to be on because it was filled up. I have waited many long hours in line to catch a ferry. I have even had to drive all the way up Whidbey Island and then back down I-5 when I missed getting on the last ferry of the day or else just slept in the car until the first ferry of the morning. Locals roll with these things, they know their plans can get messed up so they leave one or two boats ahead of the last possible one if it is critical to be somewhere at a certain time.

But you know what? The same kind of delays happens when you fly or travel by train or on a bus. I have had it happen to me in all of those circumstances, trains, ferries, airplanes, bus and by vehicle with road closures from wrecks and mudslides too.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Another hidden gem camping wise on the Olympic Penninsula is the Clallam County campground in Sequim at Dungeness Spit.

We lived in the Seattle area for 13 years. Did a lot of great camping in that state!

Dungeness Recreation Area
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #27

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgreat1 View Post
I retired from Washington State Ferries after 30 years.
Good advice is check the WSDOT site. Get reservations. The campground at Fort Casey is first come first serve. Deception pass is a great park so get reservations. We took out Casita there and got a site across the road and had a great time .
Fort Casey is by reservation now. It changed a few years back to year-round reservations.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #28

Name: Benny
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Cool!
Bgreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote