Port Townsend WA Ferry - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Port Townsend WA Ferry

Anybody taken a trailer on the ferry from Coupeville WA to Port Townsend, WA?
Any tips? Suggestions? Cost?
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/far...rrivingterm=11
Old 01-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We've done it with our Casita, but it's been a while. I think it cost us about $50 at the time. The fares and schedules vary by time of year.

You definitely should get reservations. There is a state park (Fort Casey) right next to the ferry where you can lay over and enjoy our part of the island. We live about 6 miles from there.

Boarding and unloading should not be a problem. The staff load RVs and semi's all the time, so they'll get you on safely.

Enjoy your trip.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I did it a few years back. Arrived about half hour early. No reservations. Weekday, mid morning, early fall so I might have gotten lucky. Fifty bucks sounds about right. Very enjoyable.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
We took that ferry with our Scamp16 the other direction a couple years ago in July. Made reservations online, arrived about an hour early so walked around looking at some of the shops before boarding. Everything worked out fine.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

Name: Tommy
Trailer: Escape 21
Washington
Ive taken it several times, with Escape 19, and 21. Easily accessed on both ends. The longer your tv sn trailer are, the more it will cost. I would highly recommend getting a reservation.
papasm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:17 PM   #7

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
In 2018, took our Lance across in June and our brand new 5.0TA in October. Eazy peazy!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:31 PM   #8

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I took it from Keystone to Port Townsend in the early 70’s in July in my 1966 Ford Econoline. I was the first one on the ferry so I was near the front. I say “near” because it was a really windy day, the Sound was rough, and they made us park further back than normal. The ferry went way south, then north, to avoid going parallel with the waves. Waves were sweeping right through the ferry. It was a long white knuckle passage, praying that we didn’t start moving around on the deck. They shut the route down after our passage until things calmed down. I immediately went to a car wash to clean the salt off of my beloved van. I would not cross with my Scamp on a day like that. Fortunately they are very rare.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have new, larger ferries on the run now but there are still cancellations due to wind and low tides. Low tides can be predicted. Winds can happen any time, especially this time of year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
I took it from Keystone to Port Townsend in the early 70’s in July in my 1966 Ford Econoline. I was the first one on the ferry so I was near the front. I say “near” because it was a really windy day, the Sound was rough, and they made us park further back than normal. The ferry went way south, then north, to avoid going parallel with the waves. Waves were sweeping right through the ferry. It was a long white knuckle passage, praying that we didn’t start moving around on the deck. They shut the route down after our passage until things calmed down. I immediately went to a car wash to clean the salt off of my beloved van. I would not cross with my Scamp on a day like that. Fortunately they are very rare.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #10

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Exclamation ferry crossing from Coupville

I took the ferry without a reservation a couple of years ago in summer from Coupville. No problem, though don't recall if it was a weekday or weekend. Ft Casy is a nice place to camp, but there were warning signs about pesky bandits...racoons. Keep all food inside. In middle of night, one of the pesky raiders scared the jeepers out of me...rattled my door knob...clever rascals.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Do not attempt it without a reservation. We were planning on cruising down Hood Canal to Olympia and then heading East. A sudden change of plans made us decide to take the ferry instead. We pulled into the loading dock where we were told it would probably be a 30 to 60 minute wait for an opening. Within an hour we were close to the front and completely boxed in. 8 hours later we were finally allowed to board. A very uncomfortable lesson learned.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Easy to do but like others say....make a reservation. Once on the Pt. Townsend side....there is a beautiful state park a few miles away....Ft. Worden....stay at the beach campground....beautiful...lots of great hiking. Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are a lot of great state parks near Port Townsend. Some of them have places right against the shoreline.

It is a short ferry ride. Not too busy in the off season. Do take note that the ferry rates take a considerable jump in price during the tourist season as do the rates at the state parks.

If you are gong to the state parks in Washington you will need to purchase a "Discover Pass". It is good for one year but is vehicle specific so you can't pass it along to a friend when you are done using it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
You can get to the information starting on google maps. The ferry is part of the WA DOT. It was very reasonable for a car I doubt it will be much more with a short trailer. Be sure to see Deception Pass State Park. Go to the beach on the south side of the bridge and walk the beach. You will find the most amazing pine tree. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=deception+...pass-state.jpg

Have a good trip.
greendalebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #15

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
This is from the Official Washington State Park site re Discover Pass:

In Washington state parks, the Discover Pass is for day visits. State park daytime hours end at dusk. If you are a registered camper with a paid overnight stay in a state park, you do not need to have the Discover Pass. Simply display your camping registration on your dashboard.

The extra overnight vehicle fee in state parks is associated only with camping stays. If you are camping, your registration includes a single motor vehicle for tent campers, or in the case of RV camping, the RV and a towed vehicle. If you bring an extra vehicle for an overnight stay, you pay an additional $10 extra overnight vehicle fee. If you bring your RV in and drive a second vehicle in for your stay, then you pay the extra overnight vehicle fee. Regardless of these circumstances, you will not need a Discover Pass
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Washington
I've taken it several times with my Escape 19' with a 2003 Tundra TV. Make reservations and you won't have a problem. Under 40' (tow and trailer) is about $15 less than over 40. My Escape 19 and Tundra come to 38' unless I put my 2 bicycle rack on the back. That puts me over 40.
sokol01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Anybody taken a trailer on the ferry from Coupeville WA to Port Townsend, WA?
Any tips? Suggestions? Cost?

I've taken it several times with my Escape 19 and 2003 Tundra. With reservations it is no problem at all. Under 40' (trailer and TV) is about $15 less than over 40. My Escape 19 and Tundra come in at 38', but I go over 40 if I put my 2 bicycle rack on the back.
sokol01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #18

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Washington
In December took the ferry to PT and it was $10.50 as a senior in my under 20' pickup. On the return trip from Port Angles with my newly purchased 2018 Casita 17 Freedom dl the fee was $48.00.
I had no problem or wait the get on, but it is advisable to get a reservation if you know your schedule.
islelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #19

Name: El Jefe'
Trailer: Lil'Bigfoot
Washington
I live in Seattle. Not sure where your coming from but you need reservations. Chances are the Ft. Casey campground is filled by now.

I book my summer stuff in the early fall for salmon fishing. You could drive around through tacoma and up the peninsula over hood canal to PT.

Its an expensive short ride. Ft. Worden St park is on the otherside. IF you want a ferry ride you can just walk on.

Have fun
jn3521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Many times. We live on Olympic Peninsula. HIGHLY recommend reservation, especially “in season”, holidays and weekends. We always do a reservation even when not towing. Fees depends on length and height, our 17’ Escape and Toyota Highlander is $50 each way.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote