portable air conditioner? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Amerigo
Texas
portable air conditioner?

What do you do for an air conditioning unit if you don't want a roof mount? Anyone used the portable air conditioners that vent out a window. Black & Decker makes one. Also anyone used a mini split air conditioner with mounting the compressor in the back storage that can open to outside?

Really hot here in Texas.
Don in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We have had a cheap window unit in our boler for almost 20 years. I mounted it under the dinette. Not the best place but we dont need it that often like you would. Have noticed people are using those ones that sit outside with hoses running in. Maybe a better plan for you?
Old 05-28-2022, 07:51 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
I saw pictures of someone who used one of the tall portable units. They installed a ~6" round vent in the side wall of their trailer for the exhaust.
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #4

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
The "portable" units have some disadvantages - They're loud (since the entire unit is indoors), they produce a lot of condensate water that needs to be emptied periodically (or else you get puddles on your floor), and they're kind of bulky for use inside a small RV.

They're also quite a bit more expensive than a window unit of comparable cooling capacity.

The versions that use two separate hoses (one for outdoor air intake, and another for exhaust to outdoors) are usually quite a bit more efficient than the kind that uses a single hose-within-a-hose - The latter transfers a lot of exhaust heat back to the air intake, reducing the unit's cooling performance.

Mini-splits are the ultimate RV comfort solution, if you've got the skills necessary to install them.

Most of the mini-splits I've seen installed in RVs have the outdoor unit mounted on either the front or back bumpers. The outdoor unit really doesn't need an enclosure, since it's already designed to be out in the elements all the time.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:13 AM   #5

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
We used a portable AC for several years, but it took up too much floor space in our small FGRV. Two years ago, I installed a 5k window unit in the bottom of the closet and the in and out air goes thru a access door I installed in the side wall. I wish it would have been done earlier. It works great.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:49 PM   #6

Texas
^Casita used to do something very similar with their 16' and Patriot models - The outside air intake and exhaust grilles were located on the side and front of the unit.

It has some significant advantages - Replacement 5K window units are very inexpensive, the mounting location doesn't act like a sounding board to amplify compressor noise (unlike roof-mounted units), and most small inverter generators will easily start and run a 5K unit.

It also leaves you with an unused roof opening which can be used for a Fan-Tastic fan or similar.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:32 AM   #7

Name: Frank
MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelInTexas View Post
The "portable" units have some disadvantages - They're loud (since the entire unit is indoors), they produce a lot of condensate water that needs to be emptied periodically (or else you get puddles on your floor), and they're kind of bulky for use inside a small RV.
The one I used exhausts the condensate out with the hot air. There is no collection basin or drain.

I agree with your other comments, the only advantage seems to be the small exhaust port in your wall.
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #8

Name: E. Jane
Trailer: Trillium 1980 1300 Deluxe
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
We used a portable AC for several years, but it took up too much floor space in our small FGRV. Two years ago, I installed a 5k window unit in the bottom of the closet and the in and out air goes thru a access door I installed in the side wall. I wish it would have been done earlier. It works great.
Wondered if you could snap a photo or two? We are trying to figure out our AC needs in our "new to us" Trillium.
jbclabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:16 PM   #9

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclabaugh View Post
Wondered if you could snap a photo or two? We are trying to figure out our AC needs in our "new to us" Trillium.
I am not good at posting pictures. Under the AC I sealed the bottom of the closet, Thru The Roof cement and flashing tape, and I also installed a copper drain line in case of any condensate dripping. Between the AC and the hatch door, I cut and fit half inch foam finished off with foil tape, which directs the hot air out the upper area, and the cool air comes in the lower area. To finish it off and keep fingers out, I fit a piece of aluminum expanded metal. When not in use, the door is closed and looks like a small storage hatch door. I hope the word pictures help.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #10

Name: Molly
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelInTexas View Post
^Casita used to do something very similar with their 16' and Patriot models - The outside air intake and exhaust grilles were located on the side and front of the unit.

It has some significant advantages - Replacement 5K window units are very inexpensive, the mounting location doesn't act like a sounding board to amplify compressor noise (unlike roof-mounted units), and most small inverter generators will easily start and run a 5K unit.

It also leaves you with an unused roof opening which can be used for a Fan-Tastic fan or similar.
We have a 2000 13' Scamp with a similar setup, the unit is mounted below the side closet. We rarely use it here in WA unless we are plugged into shore power, but I like that there is no roof unit. Someday may want to remove it for more storage, though!
NCW Scamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #11

Name: Tamara
Trailer: Burro
California
We had a portable unit we vented out a window of our Burro. It did take up valuable space (and we had to empty the condensation tray), but was well worth it. We used it mainly in our house, so it wasn't a permanent fixture in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Burro-AC.jpg  
tbumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #12

Name: Kevin
Texas
We used a portable unit in an old FGRV i restored. Vented out a hole. It was 8500btu, but, as others explained, took up space, was loud, and did not do a good job. Our next trailer - a Scamp 13 - I installed a 5000btu window unit in the closet, sat on the right-side wheel well, and that worked better. More recently, in our Casita SD and current Scamp 16, we have roof A/C. But our neighbor installed the mini split on his trailer's tongue; that is a really nice option - quiet and effective. Good luck.
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #13

Name: Ruth
Washington
Registry
Makes, models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
We have had a cheap window unit in our boler for almost 20 years. I mounted it under the dinette. Not the best place but we dont need it that often like you would. Have noticed people are using those ones that sit outside with hoses running in. Maybe a better plan for you?

Do you have a make/model for that window unit?

How about for the 'outside' unit with hoses running in?

I'm looking for something small for my 1973 Amerigo.....any ideas? (heading for California in 3 weeks) need to find something right away!

We have used a DeLonghi freestanding many times successfully, works great with large tube out the front window...(had to loosen the screen)....we taped up cardboard around the open space outside.....good if you're going to be somewhere for a few days....a hassle if staying one night here or there. It is also very large for a small trailer to haul around. It's similar to this:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/de-longhi...iABEgK0VvD_BwE
Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:26 PM   #14

Texas
There are also "casement" window units available.

They're taller and not as wide as a conventional window unit, intended for installation in windows that slide sideways to open - the same way most RV windows open.

Here's an example.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #15

Name: Don
Texas
re: condensate of window unit -- photo please

Where does the condensate go in the window unit if it is sitting inside the camper? Does the unit basically need to be in a box? How do you seal the perimeter? Our closet where the frig used to be has all the main electric wiring. The outside has a grill which we plan to replace with plywood.

Can someone take a photo of an installation? Can email the photo to yodapurrs-ac@yahoo.com if you can't post. THANK YOU. Hot in Texas.
Don in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:10 PM   #16

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
I am not good at posting pictures. Under the AC I sealed the bottom of the closet, Thru The Roof cement and flashing tape, and I also installed a copper drain line in case of any condensate dripping. Between the AC and the hatch door, I cut and fit half inch foam finished off with foil tape, which directs the hot air out the upper area, and the cool air comes in the lower area. To finish it off and keep fingers out, I fit a piece of aluminum expanded metal. When not in use, the door is closed and looks like a small storage hatch door. I hope the word pictures help.
We are giving something similar to this a try. Saw a youtube where someone had installed a 5000k under bench. Used 6 inch marine round hatch covers for air in and air out. Made a metal "funnel" of sorts from back exhaust on AC to the marine hatch. Hubby is very handy. We are using one of the single seat dinette benches in the front of our Trillium 1300.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:18 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Zero Breeze
Attached Thumbnails
Zero Breeze exterior sq.jpg   Zero Breeze  sq.jpg  

Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:35 PM   #18

Massachusetts
How well does this cool your space? I have seen mixed reviews on the zero breeze.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:11 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
The Zero Breeze will cool our space by about 10 degrees.

Our “space” is the sleeping area of the Compact II. We hang a temporary curtain to isolate the bed chamber.

I agree with those reviewers who have observed it functions better as a personal air-conditioner than a room air-conditioner. In Oklahoma, summer camping temperatures can be above 90 degrees. Because this unit has a moveable outlet duct, we can direct the flow and be comfortable enough to take an afternoon rest. But, it will not make our camper cool, like our home, on a hot summer day.

(I use the unit often during the week as a cooling station — I like to work on cars.)
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:59 AM   #20

Massachusetts
Thanks for the honest review. We have tossed zero breeze around for many months, but decided against it. We are in a trillium 1300. Small space, I believe fairly well insulated.