Portable black water holding tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Fred
Trailer: Scamp 16' Side Dinette
Delaware
Portable black water holding tank

With a 9 1/2 gal. black water holding tank on our 16' Scamp we have run into situations where we had to secure everything and hook it up to take it to the dumping station in the middle of our stay. Priced a portable black water tank at a local camping supplier who wanted $214.00 for the smallest one (18 gal.) he had. Ouch Ouch! We went back to the campsite and lugged the trailer over to the dumping station. Didn't want to pay that price without research. Does anyone have one for their small camper and where do you carry it when traveling. Educate me. Thanks
gerejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This is NOT what you want to here, but it's a solution. Use the campground facilities most of the time.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
This is a nice tank with a good hose storage system. Pretty good price and free shipping.
Thetford 40511 SmartTote 2 Wheel 18 Gallon Tank : Amazon.com : Automotive
Thetford also make a 12 Gal basic model for about $80 but you have to buy a short hose. I know you can stow the 12 Gal. tank under the dinette floor behind your gray water tank. But you have to fabricate supports or strap up the tank to hold the tank up under the trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We have a tote but we also have a pickup to haul it in and it is small enough to pull by hand, but what fun is that. Like Byron said. Use the campground facilities as much as possible in these cases. Even when we have full hookups I still will still use the restroom/shower house unless in the middle of the night.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm installing one meant for tent trailers between the frame rails on my boler American.

Three are shown stacked on top of each other taken from post # 9 here:
Grey water tote
That link provides a link to this PDF, which gives some sketches on page 9 of the frame that holds it.
The frame is hinged at the rear and drops down at the front (which is actually the rear of the trailer) so the tank can be stored underneath empty and it rolls out when needed. They were and are used in a number of different tent trailers

I found mine on ebay, but don't see any today. Link to one for $115 without the frame: Barker Folding Tent Camper Tote-Along, 15 gallon - $115.18 You could buy the tank and fabricate your own frame from the diagrams.

You could probably pick one up at a RV Salvage yard. This list is updated regularily and should be added to your favourites:
RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated 9/3/13 - RV Forums - myRVparks.com
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Here is someone that made their own frame/ramp to give you an idea.
The custom carrier I built for our blue tote Photo Gallery by Eric Bond at pbase.com
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I carry an emergency black water transporter stored under a bench. I bought a 7 gallon Aqua-Tainer at Walmart for $27. Then glued the plastic locking collar that black water hoses use on top. It works fine, though it's heavy if totally filled.

aquatainer - Walmart.com
Old 09-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Amazon.com: Tote-N-Stor 25606 Portable Waste Transport - 11 Gallon Capacity: Automotive

or

Amazon.com: Tote-N-Stor 25951 Portable Waste Transport - 6 Gallon Capacity: Automotive

Remember that a gallon of water weighs over 8 pounds (4 kg).
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Luckily for me the Casita comes with a larger black water tank and although it’s been said that I’m full of, well, you know what, I’ve never filled it in a 1 week stay.

These tanks aren’t cheap. They’re carrying quite the load if filled and need to be robust. I have two of them. I refer to the 15 gallon unit as the MOAT (Mother Of All Totes) and only bring it when I’m planning on a week or more stay. (I've spiffed this one up some buying a pair of inflatable wheels at Harbor Fright to ease moving it around) Mostly, I carry the 5 gallon tote to drain off grey water from shower usage. Either just get tossed in the back although if I take the wheels off the larger one, I can fit either in the overhead Yakima box. (I don't travel with both at the same time.)

I believe mine are made by Barker and I got them at Camping World many years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
ToteA.JPG  
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

Name: Fred
Trailer: Scamp 16' Side Dinette
Delaware
Black water portable tank

We figured where we could carry the 15 gal portable tank that we ordered off of Amazon. It will travel on top of our Suburban roof racks. I've had this car for 10 years plus and never used the racks before so this will be a first.
gerejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Another option is to purchases one of those folding hand trucks. Here's one example: Shop Best Wheel Products Folding Hand Truck at Lowes.com

Another: Magna Cart Personal Hand Truck - Amazon.com

I have had one of the original Magna's of European manufacture for over 20 years. Equipped with a selection of bungee cords, it is incredibly handy and rides in the back of my pickup most of the time. Seems like mine has a bit larger wheels. The only thing I've done to it is clean it a few times and lube the wheels.

I think it would handle moving your black water tank across the campground in great style!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote