Portable Evaporative Cooler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #21

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We live in a high humidity area or would go that way as they are low cost. Currently we run two dehumidifiers and the air as needed. Want to get a mini split for our trailer that can mount on tongue, also have looked at a battery powered unit as well. Send heat out side or bottom of trailer and cold out through boot wall into trailer. Looked at a unit for cooling a dog house. Battery unit seems a good idea but would like to first know if anyone has had problems with the Zero Breeze Mark 2 Portable Air Conditioner or have a better recommendation. Seen some nice units from over seas but they do not sell them here or can not find a location this side of the pond. Would not take much to cool the boler.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #22

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Typical swamp cooler. In a garage, the added humidity is a negative, can promote rust on tools, etc.

Myself, I installed a mini split, which does require a hole in the wall. But the mini-splits are the way to go IMHO. Here, the humidity is way too high for a swamp cooler to make any sense. Not only are mini-splits very efficient, they can also provide heat.
We have a furnace that works great so would only want to cool things what type of mini split did you get thrifty bill ? Is it tongue mount compatible?
Old 07-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #23

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
I thought I would report back on the evaporative cooler in my garage. This week it has been as high as 103į in my garage; I hear my freezer motor groaning! I did order the evaporative cooler, it was under $200 and itís bigger than I expected. Itís about 3 1/2 feet tall. I plugged it in and filled it up with cold water, added an ice block and it started right up. It blows very cold air. Unfortunately, itís not up to the heat or the space.

I realized that a cooler rated for 200 ft.≤ would be too small for a two car garage. But I did hope that it would cool down the area around the refrigerator. I donít think it even does that, thereís simply too much heat around it. I do think this would work very well in a small space. If it werenít so big, I would keep it and use it in my little bigfoot. Unfortunately, I think itís just too big for that space. So it would be handy if I had purchased one from Home Depot, because boxing this one back up and sending it back Will be a chore.

As I mentioned originally, I didnít want to do a window unit as it will stick out on the side of my garage into the driveway area. And I didnít want to cut a hole in the wall to do some sort of wall unit. But now Iím rethinking that decision as itís bloody hot out there and Iím getting pretty desperate.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #24

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
"They" make ACs that are very portable. The AC exhaust goes through a dryer hose and out the window. An adaptor should come with the AC for the window. There is nothing to poke out the window as the hose end is flush with the window. I use one in my bedroom at night and turn off the whole house AC.

These are not as efficient but are easy to hook up. Mine is on wheels. I got it 12 years ago and it is still going (knock on wood that I haven't just cursed it). Like most ACs it is very noisy and takes some getting used to.

The ACs come in various powers. They might be hard to come by right now though. I purchased mine on line from Walmart when all the stores were sold out of them.

Here is an example of one...https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...ype%3APortable

Good luck. I live near Canada and it only "cooled" off to 82 last night. Ugh.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #25

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
"They" make ACs that are very portable. The AC exhaust goes through a dryer hose and out the window. An adaptor should come with the AC for the window. There is nothing to poke out the window as the hose end is flush with the window. I use one in my bedroom at night and turn off the whole house AC.

These are not as efficient but are easy to hook up. Mine is on wheels. I got it 12 years ago and it is still going (knock on wood that I haven't just cursed it). Like most ACs it is very noisy and takes some getting used to.

The ACs come in various powers. They might be hard to come by right now though. I purchased mine on line from Walmart when all the stores were sold out of them.

Here is an example of one...https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...ype%3APortable

Good luck. I live near Canada and it only "cooled" off to 82 last night. Ugh.

These do better than the swamp coolers but there is a problem that reduces there net cooling.

Compressor air conditioners have a cold coil and a hot coil. They work best if the hot coil side is completely outside (cooled by outside air) like a window unit. Note only one hose on this one to blow the hot air out through a window. The source for that hot side cooling air is inside the cooled space. That inside air being blown out must then be replaced by (hot) air from .... outside. Through normal leakage or an open window. The hotter it is outside the more the cooling effect will be diminished. Note: we have a similar unit. I am trying to design something that will bring outside air directly to the input area of the hot side intake.

Here is a two hose model with with both intake and exhaust hoses on the hot side.
https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-ARC-1...5161711&sr=8-4
It should be more effective.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:52 PM   #26

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Minogue View Post
How about adding insulation on the outside of the freezer that doesn't interfere with getting rid of the heat from the coils? So it doesn't have to work as hard.

Styrofoam panels, blankets, old chair cushions, air pillows out of those Amazon packages, whatever.
Feel the top of an upright freezer. It is hot all the time. Our cat used to love it in the winter. So insulating it may not be good especially on the top.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:00 PM   #27

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
I thought I would report back on the evaporative cooler in my garage. This week it has been as high as 103į in my garage; I hear my freezer motor groaning! I did order the evaporative cooler, it was under $200 and itís bigger than I expected. Itís about 3 1/2 feet tall. I plugged it in and filled it up with cold water, added an ice block and it started right up. It blows very cold air. Unfortunately, itís not up to the heat or the space.

I realized that a cooler rated for 200 ft.≤ would be too small for a two car garage. But I did hope that it would cool down the area around the refrigerator. I donít think it even does that, thereís simply too much heat around it. I do think this would work very well in a small space. If it werenít so big, I would keep it and use it in my little bigfoot. Unfortunately, I think itís just too big for that space. So it would be handy if I had purchased one from Home Depot, because boxing this one back up and sending it back Will be a chore.

As I mentioned originally, I didnít want to do a window unit as it will stick out on the side of my garage into the driveway area. And I didnít want to cut a hole in the wall to do some sort of wall unit. But now Iím rethinking that decision as itís bloody hot out there and Iím getting pretty desperate.
Sit the cooler against the wall blowing across the back of the freezer and sit a fan next to the cooler. Open a window or open garage door a little. It does help a lot. Even putting a fan to blow across the back of a freezer or fridge helps it immensely. We had to do this in one garage and it helped. I learned this from an appliance repair person. I had a neighbor do this to their fridge when the fridge wasn't cooling enough and it brought it back up to good temp. Fridges inside cubby holes are prone to getting to hot when it is hot in the house. We keep a thermometer in the fridge with the readout on the counter to watch ours. We do this in our house and RV's.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #28

Name: Catherine
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
My two cents: Cooling the appliance itself, as the prior post just outlined, is your best bet. In the olden days, we had to have fans running pointing toward our computers if we were working on a 24/7 project -- we didn't matter, but our equipment did, ha! In this manner you are adding to the internal fan and helping to not heat the components.... I'd also pull the appliance away from any walls for proper venting; and make sure the back coils, etc are free of dust and dirt.

Good Luck!
Compact Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote