Portable Gardens - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #1

Name: Andrea
Trailer: Boler
ON
Portable Gardens

I'm going to retire at the end of June (Yeah!) and am hoping to start doing some longer trips. I love fresh veggies. Has anyone ever tried taking their plants with them on their travels? I have a 13' Boler, so my space is limited, but I picture moving the plants outside when not on the road. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Andrea D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Patronize local farm markets.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:23 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Fresh tomatoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea D. View Post
I'm going to retire at the end of June (Yeah!) and am hoping to start doing some longer trips. I love fresh veggies. Has anyone ever tried taking their plants with them on their travels? I have a 13' Boler, so my space is limited, but I picture moving the plants outside when not on the road. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I enjoy fresh tomatoes grown in pots, but they get WAY to large to take along on the road. Remember also that roads are rough, they will not transport well. Local farm markets are popular in our area but you would need to ask the locals to find them.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:26 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Unfortunately my wife does, while we, like most RVers have limited space. But plants are one of her passions so how could I possibly begrudge her this pleasure when I stuff the trailer with mandolins and playing accessories.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Traveling heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Unfortunately my wife does while we, like most RVers have limited space. But plants are one of her passions so how could I possibly deny her this pleasure when I stuff the trailer with mandolins and playing accessories.
I travel with three hobbies. Ham radio, metal detecting, and magnet fishing.
That results in the second heaviest Scamp 16 in the group. 3,060 lbs.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:08 AM   #6
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I’ve taken a pot of basil on a trip before, but it rides in the cab of the tow vehicle when we’re underway. I can’t imagine traveling with anything other than a a few herbs… except for our little Norfolk Island Pine “Christmas tree” - it’s small enough that it fit in cup holder, and it went with us at Thanksgiving.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think that the whole point of travel is new experiences. One of the worst things to happen is McDonald's and KFC popping up worldwide. Do you fly to Italy to drink a Starbucks latte? You do now.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:48 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
I have a fairly long and wide wooden shelf under the front window of my Scamp 13 . I use a double pot system. The outer pot is screwed down to the shelf and the inner pot is removable for watering or turning. No accidents so far. Currently, a small prickly pear lives there, but not going to browse on that. I can see having a row of herbs. I can also see sprouting as a real easy way to have fresh veggies every few days. Anything is possible. Do what you want.
By the way, do you have many farmers markets up your way in January?
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Andrea----sadly, I will have to agree that bringing along some plants, especially anything close to being at the edible stage, is likely going to be an adventure that isn't worth the hassle.

We have known friends with large motor coaches who have brought flowering plants and also have seen homemade "gardens" attached to the rear bumper of a Casita----but their owners each told us that it was fraught with problems and frustration. The Casita-garden was only built because these folks were parking for the winter in one spot. Theirs was procured for the trip down and in the end, they decided not to bring the garden back up home...so, essentially, a one-way trip. They said that there wouldn't be a "next-time".

In the end, visiting local fresh markets will not only provide you the fresh veggies you will be looking for, but you will be benefitting local economies, getting the chance to meet some local folk and also getting a much vaster variety than you could ever grow in the confines of your camper.

Plus, there are often restrictions on travelling with plants. Bugs, diseases etc are something one province/state may not want "imported".
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:28 PM   #10

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
I too am an avid vegetable gardener. I sprout in jars when traveling in my scamp.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We aren't full time so haven't taken plants on the road but I definitely have plans to do so. A gal named Robin has a YouTube channel called "Creativity RV" and she has more than one video about how she grows food from her RV. She has a lot more room for it than I plan to but you should be able to get some ideas. If I can figure out how to include a link, I will.

I've been looking for "tiny" options that pack a punch like growing sprouts in a jar and microgreens in small containers. But those aerogardens or something similar look like a good option too!

Good luck to you and if you get a chance, we'd love to see what you end up trying and how it goes.

Mobile garden build:

Mobile garden FAQ:

Grow microgreens in an RV:

This one has a description of the "aerogardens" that she uses at about 9:30:
Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #12

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Microgreens are an excellent crop to grown on road, and you could grown mini peppers and garlic greens as well. Anything you can root from the cut off end (carrots, celery, scallions...) can be stuck in water to root, then dirt, and grown in a sunny window.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:24 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Unfortunately my wife does, while we, like most RVers have limited space. But plants are one of her passions so how could I possibly begrudge her this pleasure when I stuff the trailer with mandolins and playing accessories.
I just tell my partner that my mandolin and fiddle is a plant. She rolls her eyes a lot these days.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #14

Name: D Jean
Trailer: Hunter I
Kansas
As much as I love the idea of having living plants as I travel, I wonder about the increased humidity in a small space. Will they create condensation? Also, in a small trailer where things have to be tied down, I can't imagine being able to secure growing plants.
D Jean Fullerton is offline   Reply With Quote