Portable propane shower - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
I am so sory I spelled it wrong. It is made by Girard Products LLC. So for that
Old Man Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden
Robert Johans: outside shower for 13' very good design just click link below 9th post on first page
Water heater for a 13' Scamp placement with outside shower. You could ask Robert Johans for some inside shots?
Just a quick post about my on-board water heater... I never travel with the tank full of water. It is always drained before hitting the road. That water weight is not an issue for me.

My set-up is unique. As I've mentioned before, I found my Scamp with a small air conditioner crudely installed into it's side. For my purposes, a water heater seemed to be a more useful alternative. I will, however, seriously consider tankless options on future projects.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
[QUOTE=John Hussey;233161]Just a thought, consider solar showers. They are small, very, very cheap, and a 2.5 gallon one will shower two. Mine is:

If we camped only in warm weather I might consider one of these, but we camp a lot in cooler weather of spring, fall, and winter(Texas).
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #24

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
I got all excited about a tankless water heater at first, but it doesn't make much sense to me unless we are talking about using the Eccotemp outside. I thought about trying to build some sort of rig to mount the unit outside to feed the water back inside, but that would mean poking holes in the fiberglass, having to go outside to turn the knobs, plus possibly melting the trailer's hull with the intense heat that exhausts from the top.

There are two actually made for RV installation, and the cheapest is the Girard, at $700. I can't see how it would be worth it. It's the same size as a 6 gal heater, costs way more, and doesn't really buy you that much more hot water for a shower, unless you are fully hooked up at a facility, because you are not going to be carrying around enough water for long showers. In my case, the grey water capacity restricts this even more.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 71 Boler
Thanks for all the replies. It's always good to hear different ideas and really good to hear of someone who has been using one like I bought for ten years, thanks Dave!
Brian Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #26

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
just a note.. the solar showers WILL get hot in near freezing temps, if in the right area. I actually use several of them as water bladders. At 5 gallons, they are easier for me to carry, much cheaper then a "Made to carry water" bladder and do just as good a job.

I fill them and my "spares" sit in back of the trailer, outside. If I happen to set them so the clear side is out.. they heat up. The sun hits them and they do get hot, even if it is only 35 degrees outside or so.

I don't use the shower function, and the hot water is just a cute side effect.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
We bought a Coleman Hot Water On Demand unit last summer. We just had a chance to use it in sub-freezing temps and it worked well. I don't recommend leaving it out overnight. There was just enough water in the pimp that it froze and wouldn't prime until it thawed out inside for a while.

Other than that, it performed flawlessly. We did not use it for showers, as the campground had very nice private showers available. However, we will be buying a shower enclosure some time this year, I'm sure.

My biggest comment is that the vinyl tubing gets too stiff in cold weather. I might try to find some Tygon or other tubing that stays more flexible. The optional shower head has too short of a hose, anyway.

We mainly used the hot water system for washing dishes on this trip.