Possibly Purchasing New Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Possibly Purchasing New Scamp 5th Wheel

I am considering replacing my current Scamp with a new one. I have been talking to a salesperson at Scamp about options. I currently own a standard layout 5th wheel and I am looking to upgrading to a deluxe 5th wheel. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the following (salesman has been helpful but hasn't been able to adequately answer my questions):

1. Vinyl Flooring - trying to decided if $75 is "worth it" My current Scamp has carpet but I have kept it covered with plastic with throw rugs since I own it. I am concerned about durability, tears, etc.

2. Is the sink in the bathroom practical (current Scamp does not have a sink) or would it be better to leave it out for more room?

3. Likes and dislikes between layout A and B

4. Trying to decide if I should add the 3" rise or go for the high lift axle with 15" tires. Thoughts?

5. Does anyone have the newer crank out awing style? My Scamp is a 2004 and the awning has been out maybe twice because it is just a job to get it out and in. I would like an awning but only one that I can put out and in without it being an all day wrestling match.

Feedback on any other options or items I should consider/ask about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now Gail, I'm a guy so I probably would have a different attitude about this then some woman would but in a small trailer I think adding a sink in the bathroom is a waste of space. Its a small bathroom, and the kitchen sink is only a few steps away. ParkLiner does sell their bathroom sink unit and I am more then capable of installing it but I just don't see the point.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Gail, The information that I got on the layout type A was that there is a problem getting the A/C and heat up into the bedroom area, because of the way the bathroom blocks the heat and air. You have to get the ventilation of air up to and around the bath. If not, you will be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I got this information from Donna.
What ever Donna tells you, you can take that to the bank!
Gail good luck on your decision.
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Yeah, I had heard getting heat and air up to the loft area could be an issue. I asked Scamp about that and they said heat shouldn't be a problem since hot air rises. Regarding cool air they suggested if that was a problem to set a fan on the ledge by the loft steps to blow to the loft. Still definitely something to consider I am just really wanting the larger bath area.

Thanks for feedback.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

Arkansas
Scamp 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Shook View Post
Yeah, I had heard getting heat and air up to the loft area could be an issue. I asked Scamp about that and they said heat shouldn't be a problem since hot air rises. Regarding cool air they suggested if that was a problem to set a fan on the ledge by the loft steps to blow to the loft. Still definitely something to consider I am just really wanting the larger bath area.

Thanks for feedback.

Gail
Gail, something else you might want to consider is a problem with condensation. Air movement will help to reduce the moisture problem. But there will still be a water issue to think about.
Good Luck! Please inform us of your final decision?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I have the 5er delux with the stove and sink on different sides. I have seen the other layout and perfer the additional counter space that my layout provides.

I find that the air conditioner makes the whole interior cold and have to turn it down to keep from freezing. As far as heat I normally use a small heater on the diver side counter and poin it toward the forward area. We have been camping in temps down to 30 degs, and been very comfortable.

Mine is also raised with the larger tires and I like the additional clearance when going over rough ground and up and down driveways. I was worried that the back would touch, but have a lot of clearance.

Can't help you with the awning as we don't have one. We use a 10 X 10 tent and have been very happy with that as we can move it where we want, which is somtimes away from the trailer or on the front of the trailer.

Most importnat to to have fun
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Forgot to tell you that I have the vinyl flooring and like it, as it is very easy to clean. We have a carpet runner on it both on the dinet step and along the flooring. If the carpet gets stained it is easy and cheap to replace. We also have an additional piece in the space at the door. Easy to take out and shake clean.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Go with the vinyl floor, Scamp turns it up on the sides by the frame making it not trap dirt in the corners. The Fiamma crank out awnings are much easier to deal with, I would go with it. Go with the high lift axle and bolt on brackets, and you can add lifting blocks later if still needed to.
I put a high lift axle on a older 5er with no entrance step. I am planning on installing a flip down 2 step entrance step and that is with 13" tires.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #9

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Gail,
We had a Scamp 5er Deluxe and did not have problems with air circulation. As someone mentioned...a small fan positioned appropriately solves this. We had a battery operated one and it was fine. The vinyl floor is easy to clean and with a couple of throw rugs gives you the best of both worlds. One issue to consider is the size of the loft bed...my husband is 6'2" and could not entirely stretch out. Others not as tall would have no problem and a single sleep could easily sleep at an angle and be fine. The wood cabinetry in the Deluxe is really nice! We moved to an Escape 5.0 for bed size/orientation and newer technology (no rivets, etc).
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #10

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
Gail,
We had a Scamp 5er Deluxe and did not have problems with air circulation. As someone mentioned...a small fan positioned appropriately solves this. We had a battery operated one and it was fine. The vinyl floor is easy to clean and with a couple of throw rugs gives you the best of both worlds. One issue to consider is the size of the loft bed...my husband is 6'2" and could not entirely stretch out. Others not as tall would have no problem and a single sleep could easily sleep at an angle and be fine. The wood cabinetry in the Deluxe is really nice! We moved to an Escape 5.0 for bed size/orientation and newer technology (no rivets, etc).
Fran, thanks for the information. Did you have a problem with the rivets? If, so was a big problem or not? Just wondering.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #11

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
No problem with the rivets while we had it but it is almost inevitable in the long run....a maintenance kind of thing. But we'd just as soon not have to worry about it happening...that's just us. We also thought the Escape was a little better thought out. We stumbled onto a used one and we were able to get solar power and a few other things added by Escape which was nice.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Possibly Purchasing New Scamp 5th Wheel

I wouldn't want a bathroom sink, personally. The bathroom is already small, and it's only 4' to the kitchen sink.

I would definitely go up to 15" tires, mine pulls much better with them than the 13's.

As for the circulation issue, I know Larry from little house customs installed a permanent fan and duct setup in one to improve it.

I installed clueless vinyl floor in mine. I would never want carpet, myself. Then again, I even had my seats covered in vinyl.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My thoughts on the lift and 15" tires is what ever makes sense based on your TV and terrain expectations. If you have a truck that sits up you need the Scamp to ride level and lift may be in order.

Amen to the new awning. I have the older one and while I have learned to manage it (step stool or small ladder) a crank out unit would be the Bee's Knees.

I have never seen one in person but the Deluxe interior sure looks nice in the brochure and on the web. I like the front bathroom if you actually expect to use it (don't see the need for the little sink) but had not thought about the air flow issue. I like to be cool when I sleep.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I would say yes to the vinyl floors. Also depending on the vehicle would determine whether I wanted the extra weight of the deluxe. I have the standard and wouldn't go with the deluxe because of the weight and loss of bed space. We leave the top bunk up and have a full size mattress going back to front. I like the extra room and you still have approximately a foot on each side of the mattress to put things. I agree with the small bath and I think the sink would be in the way. Also agree with the high rise and 15 tires, but then again depends on your vehicle. Since you currently own a standard layout 5th wheel you are a step up on the game. It all depends on you and how you want it. Good luck with the decision.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Mine is a 2004 Deluxe layout A, I am the third owner.
The awning was lost by the second owner, brackets and holes are still there, but I prefer a screen tent, so I am not replacing it.
I do not see much difference between the A, B layouts in functionality.
I would definitely go with the vinyl floor and a runner carpet $75 isn't that much.
Air circulation is definitely an issue and warm air does not rise fast enough to really help here. We made our spring trip to warmer climates, but before we got there, there was one morning with 10F temperature! The loft was COLD, the heat downstairs cycled on/off all night. Upon return, I mounted two 3 inch fans from some old PC power supplies above the bathroom door, so they move the warm air through the big upper storage compartment to the loft. Open the door completely, or partially, as needed. They are turned on by an Aquastat switch (ON at about 110F) which is attached to the upper furnace vent close the wall. The wiring goes through the cabinetry. They start about 20 seconds after the flame lights and stop about five minutes after the flame is out and the duct cools off. Something like this should be a Scamp option. I should write them about it, I am thinking.
I kind of like the bathroom sink.
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp