Power Converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Power Converter

:o Just purchased a '88 Scamp 16. When we we're looking at the trailer it was plugged in to a AC circuit and made no noise. After getting it home and pluggin it in the converter makes noise like a generator running. Is this the noise it makes when charging the battery? If I turn on the water pump the converter 'clicks' off and everything seems to work fine but, when the watrer pump is switched off the converter 'kicks in' and starts making noise again? Can you help??

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #2

Converter noisy

Malcolm,

Sounds like normal transformer hum to me. Have you got down close to it when you say it is off to be sure? The hum may just be changing in pitch so that you don't hear it. If it is loose it can be louder. Try to turn on all of the lights and see it it does about the same thing.

I don't think it is actually clicking off.

Old 05-24-2003, 08:55 PM   #3

:wave Thanks....it definitely is louder than a 'hum'. You can hear it outside of the trailer. I turned everything on (including the vent fan) and it continues to make this rather loud noise. I placed my hand on the converter box and can feel a small but noticeable vibration coming from the unit. Should I let it keep running?

Old 05-25-2003, 07:02 PM   #4

Noisy

Malcolm,

Turn it off disconnect the battery cable and unplug the 110ac.
Then take the cover off of it. It sounds like the cooling fan is bad or something is loose. You may be able to see the problem once the cover is off. You may have to remove the fiberglass seat enclosure to get to everything.

After you get it apart and check it, you may have to hook things back up to identify the problem.

Good Luck