Power Convertor for LED Lights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As I state earlier: "That way you can update and upgrade to 2015 electrical standards and future needs in one fell swoop".

No he didn't mention any problems YET, but if it is the original power box, it is almost 40 years old and it too, for only a few dollars more than just a new converter, can be updated as well, and that's not to mention what must certainly be a very anemic DC distribution system that may only have a single breaker or fuse for everything.

We do a lot more with our rigs today than we did back in the day and updating too modern electrical standards is a good idea.

I consistently recommend and have personally installed a number of PD-4045's and find the design, features, reliability and ease of installation to be far superior to anything else currently on the market, and at a lower price than others as well. If you, or anyone else known of a better choice of a power chassis to install in FGRV's, please let us all know.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Tim, he's just looking to argue. Don't waste your time. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It's good to be aware of your biases.

There are other solutions, that fit other applications. I for one do not see the need for much AC. Therefor, a single breaker would likely suffice for me. I also do not see much need for three fuses for lights. I do however value the storage space, that a PD-4045 will occupy.

I think this is the ideal solution for a Trillium 4500:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-48962.html
But Bob does not agree. There is another thread where we argue the various merits of our respective positions.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-62113.html
The cost is higher then a PD-4045, there are no AC breakers, and the DC board has no enclosure. But, it fits where the old converter was, and I don't need more.

That being said, I am still getting along nicely with the factory converter, and the PD-4045 is a great solution for most, (not all) power centers in an RV.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Here is the way I see it. If the owner wants to try to fix the converter a set of capacitors might well do the job for a few bucks. This assumes someone who knows a little about electricity or knows someone.
Or the thing can be replaced for a lot more. Then pick the one you want.
If the problem is just flickering LEDs then a good battery or a filter cap might well do the trick. Maybe $10.00 for the caps. Battery you might need either way. By the way on cheap poorly filtered chargers the battery is the filter.
Of course if half of the rectifier bridge is out then a few more dollars for that.
We have a range of choices here, not a bad thing in itself.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #25

I agree that each one of us should tailor our FGRV's to suit both our needs and our personal abilities. Some may want to embrace the more basic approach, while some may want more bells and whistles.

However, the P.O., in his first post was asking about the WFCO WF 8712P Power Center, an AC & DC distribution panel with a converter. I stated my opinion about WFCO and suggested a product that was similar in functions, but with much higher quality, capacity & capabilities, for only a slightly higher price.

Scamp dropped using WFCO for PD, that should say something.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #26

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Thanks for all the input , I need to have a unit that has distribution for both ac and dc so the Intelipower 9100 is not suitable . Since I live in Canada availability of all units becomes a factor ie.shipping and exchange . One unit that is available is the Parallax 6730 which seems to exceed my needs . It would appear to be an American product and I have not heard anything in the way of problems . Anyone have any knwledge of this company's products ? Thanks Bob
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #27

I don't have any experience with these units, but I did find a number of mentions about installing them in smaller Pop=Up trailers on the <<<popupportal.com>>> site that you might want to review as they seem designed for that market.

Here is a quote from their literature:
The model 6730D electronic converter/charger from Parallax Power Supply is the perfect power solution for small RV classes like tent, pop-up or truck campers. The filtered DC power is free from spikes and surges, ensuring bright lighting and smooth operation of amenities. The panel is pre-wired and preloaded with a 30 Amp main breaker, one 20 Amp circuit breaker and two 15 Amp circuit breakers. Battery polarity protection is provided and the unit has a 5 DC load circuit capability.

It seems to have the basics one needs, albeit scaled down from the design of the PD-4045. It also appears that it doesn't have a smart charger an important feature in my opinion.
You might look more on the popupportal site and ask there abouts for information. I am also on there and the site has a number of very active members.
All that said,, parallax has been around for a long time and I don't know/can't tell how old this design might be.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #28

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I do not have a battery in the camper as we live in Manitoba it gets very cold for several months and idle batteries are a pain . When camping I almost always am able to get a spot with electicity which I appreciate because I love my microwave oven . I will use a small solar charger to charge my vehicle battery when necessary to use battery power . The only draw on 12 v dc is my lights which are now LED and should not require a whole lot of power , my furnace is the original which does not reqiure any power . My only 120 v need is to run my microwave and to recharge a phone or computer device . The Parallax should be more than capable of these needs , as long as it is a reliable product . Thanks Bob
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #29

Sounds like a good plan to fill your needs.
Again, you might check in with the peeps at popupportal.com about reliability of the Parallax unit. I read one posting but that seemed to be mostly about installation wiring confusion.

But,,, not to be accused of beating a dead horse. If you get a power center with a 3 stage charger now, if you want to add a battery in the future, the three stage charger can be left on 24/7/365 and it will take care of your battery all winter long for not all that much power consumption.
Good luck with your project.

Tags
led lights, light, lights