Power Inverter - a Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
ok I am a bit new to this trailer business. in my 14' burro, the battery powers everything- and is recharged when I drive my vehicle. Works great. then if/when I plug in to 110v, does it automatically switches to 110? There is nothing for me to switch over? Does it automatically shut off the battery juice, or do I need to do anything?

I am assuming there's nothing to switch over because I have LOOKED EVERYWHERE for a switch and cannot find one.

I am assuming that the propane heater will work better plugged in, since the fan is quite a strain on just battery power.

(and, I HATE assuming... you know what happens (ass-u-me)

thanks
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
ok I am a bit new to this trailer business. in my 14' burro, the battery powers everything- and is recharged when I drive my vehicle. Works great. then if/when I plug in to 110v, does it automatically switches to 110? There is nothing for me to switch over? Does it automatically shut off the battery juice, or do I need to do anything?

I am assuming there's nothing to switch over because I have LOOKED EVERYWHERE for a switch and cannot find one.

I am assuming that the propane heater will work better plugged in, since the fan is quite a strain on just battery power.

(and, I HATE assuming... you know what happens (ass-u-me)

thanks
Mac

I have not been able to find the exact specification of your trailer, but my understanding of similar trailers is that a power converter (not an inverter) manages the electrics on your trailer. When you are plugged into 110 the converter provides 12 volts DC through a built in power supply which runs the 12 volt interior lights and the blower on the furnace and charges the battery. There may also be some 110 volt outlets which will have power only when you are plugged into 110 volts and you may have 110 volt lights that also will only run when you are plugged into 110 volts. When you are not plugged into 110 the lights and blower on the furnace are powered by the battery and the 110 volt outlets will not have power. If you want 110 volts while you are not plugged into 110 volts you can use an inverter, which uses 12 volt battery power to produce 110 volts. You will need a 12 volt outlet in your trailer to be able to use such an inverter. When you are driving the 12 volt power from your towing vehicle normally can charge the 12 volt battery on your trailer.

See http://www.rvwest.com/rvtech/06_08.php

See also http://www.rversonline.org/ArtTipsConverter.html

Brian
Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #3

ahh, ok. so it converts 110 into 12 volt and charged the battery. awesome. thanks much!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Mac, Brian has given you an EXCELLENT explanation of the 12v and 110v systems in our trailers. Great job, Brian!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
That was a good explanation for sure but I have found that many older trailers and smaller ones have no real converter section at all.
It may be that you are simply charging the battery with the charge line of the vehicle through the seven pin connection to the trailer when connected?

Is there any reason to think you are doing anything different plugged into AC other than powering the AC outlets directly?
You mention that you think it should power the furnace better but you do not say if you have done so and if it does?

My first trailer had no electronics in it at all.

If you can not find a converter/charger maybe there is none.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
That was a good explanation for sure but I have found that many older trailers and smaller ones have no real converter section at all.
It may be that you are simply charging the battery with the charge line of the vehicle through the seven pin connection to the trailer when connected?

Is there any reason to think you are doing anything different plugged into AC other than powering the AC outlets directly?
You mention that you think it should power the furnace better but you do not say if you have done so and if it does?

My first trailer had no electronics in it at all.

If you can not find a converter/charger maybe there is none.

Ed
Ed:

While I don't have the specification for the Burro Wide Body, if you look on http://www.burrotrailers.com/deluxe_options.htm it appears that a converter was an option in 1998, and presumably in 2000 for the Burro, and the trailer was described as having an inverter, which I took as being a converter. I didn't think the problem was whether the trailer had a converter but how the switching occurs so that when the trailer is plugged into 110 volts there is 12 volt power. My understanding is that this is something that the converter looks after: when you are not hooked up to 110 volts the furnace runs from the battery. When you are hooked up to 110 volts the furnace is powered by the converter which also charges the battery.

Brian
Old 11-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Mac, Brian has given you an EXCELLENT explanation of the 12v and 110v systems in our trailers. Great job, Brian!!!!!!!
Thanks.

There is an excellent source of information on the Scamp Trailer site: http://www.scamptrailers.com/AskScam...rsManuals.aspx

The video on the electrical system shows a converter and explains how it works.

Brian
Old 11-13-2009, 02:46 AM   #8

thanks for all the info. I did find the converter, and I also realize the power works when the battery is disconnected (by the fuse) if it is plugged into 110. Quite a nice setup!