Power options when not hooked up to external power source - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Power options when not hooked up to external power source

I'm planning my first trip in a Trillium 4500 as soon as I feel ready. I'm wondering about power if I'm not in a trailer park or connected to external power source. How can I get my interior lights to work? Am I correct in thinking I simply have to find the right wire and connect it to a battery which is charged by a solar panel (for instance)?
Vic Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
If you are only running interior lights, leave with your battery fully charged and you will be fine for a few days or more. Do you have a battery now? Does it charge when you are plugged into the tow vehicle?

Don't know what you mean by "find the right wire". Is your trailer already wired?

More information please.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Usually the lights inside the trailer run off the battery. The battery is usually charged by sending power from the tow vehicle to your trailer battery or by external power you have connected to your trailer.

For short periods of time, your battery may have enough charge to run your lights, charge your phone, etc. For longer periods of time, people use either solar panels or a generator.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Power options when not hooked up external power source

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinto View Post
I'm planning my first trip in a Trillium 4500 as soon as I feel ready. I'm wondering about power if I'm not in a trailer park or connected to external power source. How can I get my interior lights to work? Am I correct in thinking I simply have to find the right wire and connect it to a battery which is charged by a solar panel (for instance)?
Good advice from others already. When boondocking, always unplug the electrical hookup from the tow vehicle. That way, you won't drain its battery, too. Start the TV before plugging in the trailer.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #5

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
I have several solar lanterns and a solar charger for my phone so I use very little of my battery power. I do have a solar panel that is wired into my battery in case I need to use the trailers power. This is usually good for at least three or four days.
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #6

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
If your tow vehicle is wired with either a 6 pin or 7 pin connector, it is possible that you have power to your battery while towing. Depending on that connection, it is always wise to disconnect the trailer from the TV so that its battery is not drained. The best solution is A) a fully charged battery, a solar panel to charge the battery on sunny days, C) ensure that your electric needs are low draw (LED bulbs).
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #7

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Know your trailer!

First things first - find out if your trailer has a battery! You are not going to power any lights without shore power if you don't have one. Batteries should be installed in a box on the A-frame at the front of the trailer, in order to prevent gasses in the trailer.

Our 1978 Trillium 4500 does NOT have a battery. We use propane for the fridge and flashlights for light if we do not have power provided at our campsite.

I have toyed with the idea of adding a battery and solar, but that is a lot of expense for just interior lights, as our 3 way fridge doesn't work at all well on 12 Volt.
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #8

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Since going solar with a good battery, I have found that there is more than lights that get powered by the battery: phone/tablet charger; air circulation fan; rechargeable-battery charger; the radio and lanterns that use the rechargeable batteries.
Regrettably, unless you have a super fridge, I agree, the 12V system coming from the tow vehicle is really meant to keep the already cold fridge cool while driving between campsites. Propane is the off-grid answer for the fridge at the campsite.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The easiest way to not drain your trailer battery when camping off grid is using solar and limiting your use of 12 VDC
We can go 3 or 4 days on a fully charged battery by simply controlling our use of DC
IE; switching to LED bulbs , running the furnace , lights and water pump only when absolutely necessary and leaving non essential / superfluous electronic equipment at home
We only take one cell phone when camping and charge it from our vehicle
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #10

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Know your trailer; know what you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Since going solar with a good battery, I have found that there is more than lights that get powered by the battery: phone/tablet charger; air circulation fan; rechargeable-battery charger; the radio and lanterns that use the rechargeable batteries.
Regrettably, unless you have a super fridge, I agree, the 12V system coming from the tow vehicle is really meant to keep the already cold fridge cool while driving between campsites. Propane is the off-grid answer for the fridge at the campsite.
Lots of people DO make good use of solar power and/or batteries. We are of the mind that when we go camping, we are doing so partly to get away from screens and other devices. Cell phones are for emergency use only, the only tablet we own I will occasionally use as an e-book. If we were to spend months wandering, I could see using a phone or tablet with wireless data to help locate the next night's stay, but our trips are usually planned before we leave home. If we take phones, they are charged in the cockpit while travelling.

But that's just us. We also do NOT have a heater in our Trillium - have never felt the need for one, not in our old soft-topped tent trailer either.

As I said - first things first - find out if you have a battery. If you don't, none of these comments regarding charging or using a battery off-grid will do you much good. If you don't have a battery, try camping without one for a while. You may be like us and find that there is no need for one. Or you might decide that it is an absolute necessity, and then you can find all kinds of useful information here on FGRV.com to help you determine what kind and size of system you need, where to get it installed, or how to do it yourself!

Welcome aboard!
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Excellent example of Roemer's Law, which is: Usage will always rise to meet supply.

So, it's a good idea to oversize the system if you can. You'll want that extra power later on.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
where in Ontario are you located
paulohallarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:24 PM   #13

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Rechargeable lamps are available as well as rechargeable fans.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
2- one hundred watt solar panels in the sun kept my battery up, ran the furnace fan, roof fan, lights, fridge controls, charged my phones, and charged my Tow vehicle battery for a week while i was unplugged from hydro, the fridge cooled on propane, but needs 12v to work
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:07 AM   #15
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Quote:
Am I correct in thinking I simply have to find the right wire and connect it to a battery which is charged by a solar panel (for instance)?
If you have solar then it is most likely you have a battery and the battery is already hooked up to your lights.

If you do not have solar/battery essentially you are correct, you would need to connect lights to battery and battery to solar.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
in your trailer change your lights to led and that saves your battery. in my case I use 2 -35 watt 12 volt portable solar panels I have them on 20 foot cords so I can place them on the roof or any where I want. In my case the fridge runs on propane but has a 12 volt fan to make it work better. we have a propane heater but it has a 12 volt fan to move heat and we have a 12 volt fantastic fan in the roof to circulate air in the trailer. I also use a 12 volt dvd player with video screen taking power. the solar panels keep up with this usage and recharges the battery by day. this has kept up with our usage for the last 5 years so we are good to go. we normally do not camp in 100 % shade by choice. We normally do not camp where there is 120 volt AC power unless we stay in State parks which is getting harder and much more expensive to do these days in California. You can do this on the cheep with good research and handy hands or you can go way over kill and very expensive if you want all the bells and whistles with battery usage monitors. for the start keep it simple for at least a year then revise and add if you think you need to complicate things.
get a controller twice as much wattage as your total solar panels it isnt that much more money and will leave your later option door open.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #17

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Think Solar!
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Nova Scotia
Power when not in campgrounds

Quote:
Howdy, I wired all lights and inverter to a large deep cycle battery. Great for running all light and computer fans in the roof. It also includes exterior lights. If you use LED lights all the way around inside and out, you could do a lot of Walmarts before you need external power. When I am at a campground, I charge up with a little 110v to 12 v trickle charger or if you have a solar panel and controller you can do that as well. Make sure you find a way to secure the panel as it is an attractive item. My inverter runs 110v apartment size fridge and microwave and coffee maker when we are at Walmarts, so we do alright in our 13' Boler.
ln41211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:55 AM   #19

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Power off the grid

Jackery power pack 500 and 100wt panel covers all the boondocking needs.

https://www.jackery.com/pages/portab...SAAEgItAPD_BwE
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:12 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Nova Scotia
Power in boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Governor Bud View Post
Jackery power pack 500 and 100wt panel covers all the boondocking needs.

https://www.jackery.com/pages/portab...SAAEgItAPD_BwE
I agree , but, in Canada, no generators allowed in Walmart parking lots, no leaving the trailer there by itself....no awnings out, etc.... I find the deep cycle battery and an inverter work well ..
ln41211 is offline   Reply With Quote