Pre Order Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

Name: Beverly
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Pre Order Questions

We have placed an order for a Standard 13' Scamp layout #1. Now that we have a larger tow vehicle and don't need to worry about weight, We have rethought the need for a toilet for night time use. So we will be changing our order to layout#2. We are rather fluffy people and wonder if we can comfortably sleep on the bed that comes standard. I wasn't worried before since in option #1 one could move to the couch if to crowded. The big bed is appealing however you trade that for a loss in storage and kitchen space. Those of you who have the big bed, are you regretting the loss of storage space? Does anyone know what the big bed option costs? I have bugged Nick to much and want to give him a break if I can get that answer here.
Beverly Korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One way to find out is to use rolled up towels and/or pillows to mark out a 45" wide space in your bed at home. Try it a night or two.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Pre Order Questions

We really like the larger bed. It is/was a zero cost (free) option. 😊

We got both rear side cabinets and the full width front cabinet. (My clothes go in the front cabinet; my wife's clothes go in the two rear side cabinets)

We omitted the furnace and opted for a small electric space heater (way more than enough heat) which gave us the full height cabinet under the sink for storage.

We installed a Marinco detachable power cord connection to make the "cord cabinet" actually usable for storage and to seal up the ant/spider/mouse hole.

You can see pictures of the interior (and exterior) of our trailer in later segments of the following thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=65096

Hope that helps some! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
The larger bed is well worth the loss of cabinet space. Keep the weight in the TV by putting extra clothes in duffle bags in your vehicle. Same with extra kitchen gear that you don't often use. Comfortable sleeping is what makes Scamp camping great!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If I were you, I'd spring for the 16'er with bathroom and LARGE bed. We have the 13'er with the smaller 44" bed and it's not good. We're constantly (wife and I) having to readjust at our shoulder levels to be comfortable.

What I think would be the cat's meow is, to get the larger bed on one side but keep the larger closet on the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Korn View Post
We have placed an order for a Standard 13' Scamp layout #1. Now that we have a larger tow vehicle and don't need to worry about weight, We have rethought the need for a toilet for night time use. So we will be changing our order to layout#2. We are rather fluffy people and wonder if we can comfortably sleep on the bed that comes standard. I wasn't worried before since in option #1 one could move to the couch if to crowded. The big bed is appealing however you trade that for a loss in storage and kitchen space. Those of you who have the big bed, are you regretting the loss of storage space? Does anyone know what the big bed option costs? I have bugged Nick to much and want to give him a break if I can get that answer here.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
If I were you, I'd spring for the 16'er with bathroom and LARGE bed…
There is no Scamp 16'er with the large bed, unless you spring for the deluxe (wood interior) version. Then it gets pretty pricey.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sorry...I thought they did. Would be a nice option though! The "Woodies" are quite a bit more $ as you say (more than I wanted to pay).

Thanks Jon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
There is no Scamp 16'er with the large bed, unless you spring for the deluxe (wood interior) version. Then it gets pretty pricey.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you have 2 good size sleeping bags zip them together and sleep in them. You will be pretty close to the smaller Scamp bed. My gal and I are fluffy too and most of the time we use both the smaller front bunk and the rear bed on our Small bed Scamp 13. Rarely do we put the table up but when we do afternoon naps are usually done on the front bunk. The portapotty works for us and I would not give up the space for a toilet on a 13 footer. Before I would give up the space I would change the trailer to a 16 footer. And if I did that I would probably go to a Casita for the bigger bed options. This would be very hard for me to to do as I really love my Scamp 13. I store my Scamp in my yard and I have no room for a 16 footer so a larger trailer forces off site storage for me and I am not going to do that. I see very few fluffy people in the smaller trailers by the time you add a bathroom you have to do the whole table thing making up the bed and then raising the table. We cut the front bunk and put a drop down table there. It's small and easy to manipulate unlike the rear dining table.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
If I were you, I'd spring for the 16'er with bathroom and LARGE bed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Of course you can get a 16' standard version with a bathroom and a second sleeping position. Then the OP is back to square one.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:36 AM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I am small in stature and weight. I have slept on my scamp 13 regular bed with my daughter who is much taller than I without issue. We did sleep head to foot though.

My 6 foot son sleeps on the sofa with no problem eitger, but he is thin. I personally would not desire a front bath since it means giving up the sofa bunk in a 13. In future, that's where my grandkids will go! And i, too, could not afford a deluxe.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote