preferred glue for attaching plywood to foam? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
dlb

Name: d
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
preferred glue for attaching plywood to foam?

I have a late 70's Bigfoot that I stripped down to the foam insulation several years ago. I started to put it back together recently and have tried a few different adhesives so far but nothing has worked very well to bond the door skin/thin plywood to the foam. For people who have also run into this, what adhesives ended up working well for you?

dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
California
Glue

They use a foam and fabric glue going foam to foam. The upholstery shops use a good contact cement. Dap Wellwood I think the part # 000250. I can't remember how many 0's but I know the last three #'s are 250. I used to sell it . It's a 640 VOC. If you are in a area that limits the VOC levels you might have to get something with less VOC, Try an upholstery supply, most of the time they sell 5 and 1 gallon pales, some of them sell it in quarts, Shoe repair places used the same glue, they usually buy it in smaller amounts. They may be able to tell you were they get it from. Good Luck

Randyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #3

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Try PL300, we have used it to good effect, but what worked for us may not work for you.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
dlb

Name: d
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
Thanks for the suggestions. I was specifically looking for foam-to-wood glue, Randyag. Eggcentric, I can't remember if I tried PL300, I'll have to look at the pile of glues in the shop and report back. I should make a list of what didn't work for others to reference.

What DID seem to work is Gorilla Glue:

I tested it yesterday, let it sit for 24 hours, and checked on it now, and am pleased to announce the plywood is very firmly fastened to the styrofoam insulation.

Of the research I did yesterday, Glidden Gripper sounds like another good option for people in the US but I can't find any here. Also, my friend who is a carpenter stopped by to take a look at my situation and said he recognized the glue remnants on the foam. He says it's called Sta'-Put and is still used in making countertops but might only be available to licensed contractors in Canada or something like that. Again, it looks like it's more available in the US. The Gorilla Glue seems like it will work well and can be bought everywhere here so I'll go with that for now, and consider Sta'-Put or Glidden Gripper if the Gorilla Glue ends up disappointing me.
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
California
Glue again

Randy again, when I hear foam to wood I always think of upholstery foam. I have either used or sold the Dap Wellwood glue since the 70's back then it was named Roberts . It is excellent for upholstery foam to wood. I have used it to glue a 1 piece aluminum to plywood roof on a trailer in 1988 and it is still holding today. I used to sell to a mfg who glue foam and neopreme to steel and aluminum for cement float tools. I do not know if it will have a chemical reaction to styrofoam or not. Upholstery shop used to use it for landau tops on cars. I have never seen any glue especially made for wood to foam only
Randyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
PL 300 is good for gluing foam to porous surfaces such as wood, concrete blocks, etc but does not dry (at least in my experiment after 5 days) going styrene foam to styrene foam.

Back when I was doing theatre, there was a wonderful adhesive called Styrobond that came in the standard 10 ounce tubes. Sort of a cross between a contact adhesive & glue. Squirt a string on the foam, stick together, pull apart, then stick back (immediately) for a permanent bond. Unfortunately, it is no longer available, although the name lives on in this product, which states it cannot be used for foam to foam.

When I needed to glue styrene foam to fiberglass I finally found a product that works - Loctite PL Premium Fast Grab Polyurethane Construction Adhesive.

If you are interested in seeing a bunch of tests of gluing styrene foam to styrene foam, here are a couple of You Tube Videos: and .
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #7

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
For gluing EPS/XPS foam to plywood, has anyone tried the Gorilla Wood Glue? (It is available in gallon containers at Menards.)

Just curious!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #8

Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
For gluing EPS/XPS foam to plywood, has anyone tried the Gorilla Wood Glue? (It is available in gallon containers at Menards.)

Just curious!

Ray
While I haven't tried it, it was rated well in both videos. It does expand on curing, which you might have to consider.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #9

Missouri

Thanks, Jon!

I know that the standard yellowish Gorilla Glue does expand quite a bit.

The "Gorilla Wood Glue" is more cream-colored and appears to be more like Elmer's or TiteBond glues.

Since it is in a gallon jug, I would expect the spreadability to be good. I just wasn't sure about the adhesion and/or drying time.

Some of the videos use the word Styrofoam (which is the white granular/pebbley stuff) instead of expanded polystyrene EPS/XPS (usually pink-colored) which is totally different than the white pebble Styrofoam. They are also glueing foam-to-foam instead of foam-to-wood.

So ..... still uncertain about the Gorilla Wood Glue for foam to wood.

Ray
Old 06-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #10

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
I have used used the fibreglass epoxy that I use for doing my repairs. It bonds well and does not melt the styrofoam. It avoids the expansion of Gorilla Glue.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #11

Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
I have used used the fibreglass epoxy that I use for doing my repairs. It bonds well and does not melt the styrofoam. It avoids the expansion of Gorilla Glue.
Epoxy works great. Don't try it with polyester resin (what our trailers are made of) - that eats foam.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #12

Missouri

Looks like “Gorilla Wood Glue” is pretty tough stuff ....

Gorilla Wood Glue versus Flex Glue ...

https://youtu.be/KjGFvvd8J8w

Multiple Wood Glues compared ...

https://youtu.be/k-g3efGa3sI

Ray
Old 07-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #13

Name: Steven
Trailer: 79 Boler "Van Gogh"
on Ontario
Registry
I used, successfully, LePage® Low Odour Contact Cement for a table I made for our Boler.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler 79k.jpg   Boler - 1 (9).jpg  

steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #14

Name: linsey
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Just finished researching this too!

Hello!

I have an 83 Bigfoot and I am also in need of an adhesive for the foam board. Pl 300 is made for foam but fails in light sensitive areas. I know my fiberglass doesn’t stop light from the sun. In one of my face book groups 3M 78 spray adhesive was suggested. I spoke to many qualified people who said it was great stuff. I did put a call into Grant at the BF factory, though due to the pandemic have not received a reply. I understand they use a fabric/upholstery adhesive originally. At any rate I have ordered the 3M 78 spray and will give it I a go. It is made for foam board so fingers crossed!
Linsey B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #15

Name: Marvin
Trailer: colman
Arizona
stickyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post
i have a late 70's bigfoot that i stripped down to the foam insulation several years ago. I started to put it back together recently and have tried a few different adhesives so far but nothing has worked very well to bond the door skin/thin plywood to the foam. For people who have also run into this, what adhesives ended up working well for you?

i have used a 1:1 epoxy that works well. Used for door skin and body panels. Purchased from tumbleweed fiberglass and supply.

If you wish to know how i did this you may call me.
Marvin - 623-628-6666 i will be happy to tell you how it is done.

stickyman is offline   Reply With Quote