Preserve Antifreeze and use camp ground supplied water? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Preserve Antifreeze and use camp ground supplied water?

We intend to use our Scamp in next couple of weeks on a trip into Louisiana, westward and up to Montana. The Scamp has been winterized, so that red antifreeze. Is in the system. It's pretty likely that below freezing temps will occur on the northward drive. (This week would have found freezing temps in the south.)

Can we only use campground supplied water without activating the pump from the fresh water tank and thus preserve the antifreeze that is therein?

Before leaving the warmer climes, we would drain the water supply line and waste water tanks and refill the toilet and shower drains with antifreeze ( and run the shower drain pump while antifreeze has been added).

Maybe I'm asking if running CG water will siphon the pump? Or, why risk the pump? Just add antifreeze to the fresh water tank and engage the pump.

If the interior remains above freezing, will the pumps as well?

Any thoughts?
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This is what I would do. I would purchase drinking water at a store and use the campground facilities for washing and potty and leave the camper winterized.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We are facing the same dilemma . We are leaving Northwest Wisconsin this Saturday heading South to St Marys Georgia. If one can believe the long range weather forecast , we should expect freezing temperatures at night until we get South of Atlanta . Using the onboard water system would require us to dewinterize down South and then rewinterize for the trip home . Last year we followed Darwin's advice and left the trailer winterized , used the campground facilities and filled gallon jugs with water for drinking & cooking as needed. We are debating what to do this year ,I wish to leave the trailer winterized , my wife wants to flush and use the onboard water system . There are advantages & disadvantages to both methods , right now it's a tossup .After nearly 44 years of marriage ,I have a good idea which side will prevail!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #4

Steve: We're in Virginia and it is expected to be in the teens at night for the rest of the week and a snow storm is expected to start We'd afternoon with up to 6 inches of snow (Chrlottesville - Fredericksburg) and all the way to Atlanta.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #5

Take water to put in the stool to flush with and put some antifreeze or salt in the black tank so it does not freeze up.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Steve: We're in Virginia and it is expected to be in the teens at night for the rest of the week and a snow storm is expected to start We'd afternoon with up to 6 inches of snow (Chrlottesville - Fredericksburg) and all the way to Atlanta.
We are predicted to have our first morning above zero later this week .
It will be the first time in 21 Days. I hope you do not loose power due to your upcoming storm
Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #7

Steve, Thanks for the concern, We Have 2 generators and lots of fuel. Have a safe trip and watch out for the below the Mason Dixon Line drivers.

They have 4 wheel drive vehicles that take off really good but don't stop any better than the 2 wheel drive ones and of course, they wind up in the ditch.

We grew up in snow country (1yr North Dakota) and over 40 years in snow areas and we stay home and out of their way on snow days.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Can we only use campground supplied water without activating the pump from the fresh water tank and thus preserve the antifreeze that is therein?
Yes. In your fresh water tank. Using the campground water hook up directly to your trailer (City water hook up) simply pressurizes your system from a different point and will have no effect on your fresh water pump. They are designed not to backfill or siphon from this pressure. And yes, It will push out the pink stuff from your water lines, if you have pumped it into them prior.

The city water pressure WILL, however, fill your water heater if you have drained that too. If you have done a full winterization, normally a bypass to the heater is installed. I am guessing from your description, you haven't done that.

This is generally NOT a big deal for such a short period of time if city water is available to continually fill the heater....but the thing you need to consider is that it is possible any park you stay in may have frozen water pipes in the sites as well. The park I am managing right now has this issue. You should not run your water heater unless your system is pressurized and there is water in the heater. Much damage can occur to the heater.

My suggestion is to remember your car camping days and bring jugs AND have some way to drain your grey water waste as soon as you create it. Use the campground facilities for bathroom and shower tasks. Make hot water on the stove, and if you have an air pot or large thermos, use that to store small qtys of hot water for instant hand washing etc.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I agree with Gina D. on all she had to say, ok everyone makes good points.

One suggestion I would make would be go to some resale shops or on line places like eBay or CL and look for a big ( 30 cup) coffee pot(or buy a new one)fill it with water, set it so the spigot hangs over the sink, plug it up and you have lots of hot water for hands,dishes or instant coco. Lots of times when we are out camping DH doesn't want to light the water heater so I just run water thru my 12 coffee maker for dishes or hand washing.My coffee maker will keep the water in the pot hot for about an hour before it shuts off.

Have a safe and fun trip.......Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
I agree with Gina D. on all she had to say, ok everyone makes good points.

One suggestion I would make would be go to some resale shops or on line places like eBay or CL and look for a big ( 30 cup) coffee pot(or buy a new one)fill it with water, set it so the spigot hangs over the sink, plug it up and you have lots of hot water for hands,dishes or instant coco. Lots of times when we are out camping DH doesn't want to light the water heater so I just run water thru my 12 coffee maker for dishes or hand washing.My coffee maker will keep the water in the pot hot for about an hour before it shuts off.

Have a safe and fun trip.......Happy Camping
We use a 50 cup electric coffee maker as our water heater when deer hunting . It works well if one conserves hot water and allows for the slow recovery rate