pricing of used Scamp and Casita RVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: in the process of buying a Casita 17 Liberty Delux
Ohio
pricing of used Scamp and Casita RVs

Hi everybody,

I'm Dave and I'm new to this community. My wife and I are long term campers. We are in the process of upgrading from our Rockwood hard side pop-up to a Scamp or Casita. When I look at the campers for sale on this web site, it appears that everyone is basing asking prices on the NADA suggested list price. If you mouse over that label on the NADA site, a pop-up window explains that that is the estimated price of a brand new trailer when the trailer was manufactured. The NADA estimated value is somewhere between the Low Retain and Average Retail. Are I correct that the asking prices for used Casita/Scamp rvs are much higher than estimated by NADA? Are selling prices generally more in line with the NADA estimated prices (between low retail and average retail?)

I've attached a link from NADA for a 2015 Scamp for an example.

2015 Scamp Scamp-16 Deluxe Package Prices and Used Values | NADAguides
Dave8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
NADA I doubt is any help in pricing of Fiberglass trailers. It's really supply and demand. And demand wins as supply is limited. I never bothered to look at NADA when either buying or selling, and when I was buying I was happy just to have the first chance the two times I got that first chance. And I bought both times for what they were asking or else someone else would have been ready. Besides the ability to pull with a smaller vehicle, fiberglass holds it's value because its life expectancy is so much greater than the typical trailer. And they never go in or out of style looking the same for 40+ years.

If you want one be ready to pay what they are asking in most cases unless it is in the Fall or an off time. Follow the prices for a while and you will get a good feel of what each model goes for.

I looked at that 2015 NADA you posted and the suggested price new I think would be the actual cost as there is no dealer markup and most or all are sold direct from the manufacturer. I sold a 2007 Scamp 16 for hundreds more than the average retail of that 2015 last year.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You have to ask where NADA gets their data. Since 90% or more of used molded fiberglass trailers change hands between private parties with no official reporting of any kind, my suspicion is that they simply apply depreciation formulas derived from conventional RVs.

Since the large majority of molded fiberglass trailers sell within a few days (hours, sometimes), it's a fairly safe bet most sell for the full asking price, or at least close. By that measuring stick, NADA is way off.

Molded fiberglass trailers depreciate much more slowly than conventional RVs. Limited production of new ones is certainly one reason. Egg trailers constitute less than 1% of total new RV sales in any given year. Their greater resistance to leaks and leak-related damage is another. Also, there's the "cute" factor and vintage appeal (minus the vintage issues).

Best way to get a handle on real-world values is to review classified ads and archives here and at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. As new ads appear you will start to notice which ones sell quickly and which languish a while, typically indicating they are either inconveniently located or overpriced for their condition.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Best bet is to head to the fiberglass rv for sale website and look at sold listings. While they don't list actual selling price, figure they sold for asking price or close. May be a few outliers, if so just ignore them. And realize a lot of used trailers have many options. Scamp in particular, the base trailer doesn't even include a refrigerator, black or gray water tank, heat, AC, etc. so most of the Scamps you see used have thousands of dollars of options.

Some buy used not to save a lot of money but to skip the 6 to 9 month wait time for a new one. Then you have shipping cost or the cost to pickup. Depending where you live and the brand you buy, shipping can be significant.

Figure for the first few years, a well maintained molded trailer will have zero depreciation. Now the 30 year old ones are selling way above original MRSP.

While this can be disappointing when buying used you will appreciate it when you are selling. While the value of my TV continues to drop like a rock our trailer maintains its value
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
location location

If you are looking for a used scamp in say... Florida. And especially if you are looking for a 13ft expect to pay a whole lot more than NADA. So much more I just ordered a new Scamp 13 and had it delivered half way.

If you look up in Wisconsin you are more likely to find some reasonably priced used ones.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
This is the hardest time of year to find a deal..and yes , older campers sell above what they were new often.
Bright side is...you can't lose really if you decide to sell at the right time....they really hold their value.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
As others have mentioned, when it comes to molded fiberglass trailers, NADA isn't a very good source for determining value.

It's whatever a seller is willing to sell for, and a buyer is willing to pay, and that's heavily dictated by supply and demand.

Reminds me of a stop I made at a gas station in Wyoming over a year ago on a camping trip. Fellow walks up, compliments me on the trailer, asks if he can see inside. I let him poke his head in, he tells me he wants to buy it. He offers me 32K on the spot. That's more than what I was into it for. I've not the slightest interest in selling, but I'm constantly amazed at how well the trailer holds its value.

In this market, I've no doubt that if we put it up for sale, it'd go in less than a day.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Makes one wonder what a new big dog in the field, Airstream, will do to prices.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
What will Airstream do to prices?

That's a great question. They potentially could add a lot of units, But Airstream is in the business of selling premium trailers, and judging from their Basecamp offering, (high 30s to $40k?), no one expects them to offer discount pricing. I think they may expand the market and demand for fiberglass enough that there will be little if any decline in prices. Airstream also includes dealer markup. Also, The Nest appears to be a pretty innovative product, compared to what has been happening.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
For sale posts on fiberglassrv.com is one good source for FG asking prices in general but for Casitas by far the best is casitaforum.com. BUT be aware that 13s and 16s come up only occasionally. I've been told that well over 90% of Casita production are 17s.
Walt

Tags
casita, scamp