Priming & Painting replacement floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Priming & Painting replacement floor

Having taken out front couch to replace floor and having rear bench seats out as part of preparing to replace flooring and make some repairs I'm now trying to decide what to use as a primer and paint for the wood and fiberglass under the couch and seat and the sub floor.

I'm not painting the seats themselves just the floor throughout and walls under the seats. Need to cover the fiberglass and wood. Looking at Kilz or Zinsser primer, lean toward oil based primer and paint. Know what I would use for wood, or for fiberglass. Hoping there is one that is good for both.

Just want to provide a good seal for the wood and a clean and cleanable surface under the seats. Floor is going to get Allure flooring after painting the sub floor.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I would clean it and apply a garage floor epoxy. It is av available in several colors, but my choice would be light grey or white.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #3

Name: Scott
Trailer: Surfside tm14
Alberta
How did you replace your floor,i am just getting ready to replace mine also.
Rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv tech View Post
How did you replace your floor,i am just getting ready to replace mine also.
With wood, sweat and swearing! Let me do some digging through notes, PM's folks sent me with advice and some threads. For now you might check this photo album. Fiberglass RV - RogerDat's Album: Refurbish

This is a composite picture of replacing the front section. Top image is after I cut out the old floor, leaving a bit of the FG tabbing behind to attach the new floor onto. Cutting was done with an oscillating tool using good curved and short straight blade to work around the edges.

Bottom image is frame painted, floor propped up so I can shoot some construction adhesive onto the frame (seals as well as cushions/adhesive) in preparation to then drop the wood floor down.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I would clean it and apply a garage floor epoxy. It is av available in several colors, but my choice would be light grey or white.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Have used that but only on concrete, typically etched to prep surface, what does one do to use this paint over FG and old painted wood?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #6

Michigan
Link to the thread from my floor replacement project - You can PM me with questions if you wish.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...val-65985.html

The rear floor had very little damage. There were a couple of spots about the size of my thumb that were soft, sanded them out to good wood and used FG resin and mat to fill them in. Did replace a short section of tabbed wood rail that bench seat anchors to. Little soft, thought about using an epoxy rot stop and just decided to cut that piece off, trace and replace.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The single part epoxy and the two part epoxy are both compatible with wood.
I have used the single part (clear) from Home Depot quite a bit and it penetrated well and forms a good surface and good finish.
The acrylic epoxy just need a clean surface to work well. I have used it particularly to seal the sides of plywood to keep it sealed and tight.
For the floor on my 16' Scamp I used two part laminating epoxy and glass fiber fabric on both sides and the edges before I installed it to make sure it was sealed ans as waterproof as I could make it. I the bonded the fiber glassed floor to the shell with strips of fiberglass fabric and the same epoxy.
The single part garage floor epoxy (clear also seems to give a pretty good finish if built up properly. It seems to soak in well enough to seal especially when two or more coats are used.
I have not used this over fiberglass or painted wood, but epoxy sticks to pretty much everything that is clean and free of oil and grease. If you rough it up it will probably work OK.
If you use the stuff they make gloss and satin finish. I had some mixed to touch up a Kubota deck and forgot to make certain that they did not add the flattener so I have a satin mower deck. It has held up pretty good though!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

Michigan
I used a coat or two of FG resin on the underside and around edges of board just brushed it on and let it harden. Debated using epoxy to attach but reading indicated not all FG resin was compatible with all epoxy products so.... went with thickened FG resin aka "peanut butter", there is a YouTube video on making it in that thread I linked to. Worked ok (so far knock on wood) not hard to make, picked up the silica at West Marine but have seen it at local boat shops too. Chopped FG I had to cut my own or order it. Cut my own worked by if had it to do again I would order it.

Will look into that acrylic epoxy paint. I was originally thinking Kilz/Zinsser primer and an oil based porch floor paint. At least for the older wood. New wood might be a good enough foundation to warrant the extra expense of superior coating.

Tags
paint, painting