Priming hand pump faucet on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Judy
Trailer: 2001 Scamp
California
Priming hand pump faucet on Scamp

Hi,

I am sure this is on here somewhere but, I haven't come across this question. How do you prime the hand pump for the faucet on the Scamp? It's not in the manual.
Thanks!!
JudyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
The pumps on the sinks of these trailers are self-priming. If yours doesn't prime, then its either due for a re-build, or (more likely) a replacement. It means the gaskets inside have worn to the point that they won't seal any more.Sometimes it is possible to do the "finger-over-the-spout" bit, but if that doesn't work, or it doesn't hold prime after that... well... then it's time to get the tools out.There may be some crud in the bottom of the chamber causing the ball valve to seat improperly.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

California
Thanks Kevin. Can you elaborate on the "finger over the spout" deal. My husband can't remember if you do it on the upstroke or what...We were de-winterizing so pulling the anti-freeze out of the bottom of the water tank before refilling to rinse. (No anti-freeze needed out here in CA.!)
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
my experience is that some model umps used a steel ball (like coleman) and it would rust ruining the seal or corroding to the point it falls out. you can try sucking on the end of the faucet (NOT recomemded if it has antifreeze!) to get the prime but also does not guarantee that it will hold either.

you can use a shop vac and just creat a seal around the hose and the faucet with your hand. Most likely you will have to replace the faucet if it has no prime at all after you use the vacuum.
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

California
Thanks for the advise. We will give those ideas a try.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #6

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Arizona
I was all excited to use the hand pump for my very first time dry camping and was so disappointed when it didn't work. It didn't compare to my trailer coming unhitched on the trip, though ;/ . I was so happy to find this thread and the advice about the wet n' dry Shop vac and I'm happy to report that IT WORKED ! Thank you ! And now I feel so handy.
realgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Sarah K View Post
you can try sucking on the end of the faucet (NOT recomemded if it has antifreeze!) to get the prime but also does not guarantee that it will hold either.
I wouldn't recommend it either, but RV anti-freeze won't hurt you... might taste nasty though. And, you DID use RV anti-freeze... didn't you?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyL View Post
Thanks Kevin. Can you elaborate on the "finger over the spout" deal. My husband can't remember if you do it on the upstroke or what...We were de-winterizing so pulling the anti-freeze out of the bottom of the water tank before refilling to rinse. (No anti-freeze needed out here in CA.!)
LOL oh fir crisake,,,,lol ,,,ok,,, that just struck me funny.

try it one way,,,if it doesn;t work,,,,try it the other way.

Tags
scamp