Problem door handle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #1

Name: Betty
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13
TX
Problem door handle

I have a 1985 13' Scamp that I bought that did not come with a key. I am about to live in a camp ground for a few months and hoped to get a key made. First, I was going to order a key from Scamp but when I called to order it, they asked for the numbers on the outside handle. There are no numbers so I gave up on that idea. I thought I would just purchase a new outside door handle with a key but I am not able to get the handle off. I've taken all the screws out, beaten the inside shaft with a hammer and the shaft barely moved. (I used WD40) I then took it to a locksmith. He couldn't hammer the shaft out either. He suggested drilling the shaft to get the handle off. Should I do that and if so, what size bit would i use?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
bojetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
When I removed my original door handle, I had to drill out the square shaft on the inside in order to remove the shaft. If you are patient, a few days applying penetrating oil daily where the square shaft goes into the latch assembly may loosen the shaft.

Another option would be to take your trailer to a good locksmith; I understand there are not all that many keys; a good locksmith should be able to help.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Scamp doors are well-known, even notorious for older ones, for the factory locks coming open and leaving you 'stuff' all over the road. DAMHIK. Save the trouble and get a new more secure lock with a dead bolt such as https://leisurervparts.com/entry-doo...or-5th-wheels/ . Be sure to set the latch so it does not tear your clothes and body as the factory one can.

ENJOY!
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #4

TX
Thank you, Dan. I'll try drilling it out. I'm not mechanical but I assume I would use a bit a little smaller than the shaft and how far in do I drill?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
do it your self

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojetty View Post
I have a 1985 13' Scamp that I bought that did not come with a key. I am about to live in a camp ground for a few months and hoped to get a key made. First, I was going to order a key from Scamp but when I called to order it, they asked for the numbers on the outside handle. There are no numbers so I gave up on that idea. I thought I would just purchase a new outside door handle with a key but I

It is standard garage door lock with most Scamps having a standard key so it should be changed anyway. Most hardware stores have both "T" and "L" handles starting at about $15. The GOOP to make it water proof sticks it to the door quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp key.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #6

TX
Thank you. I have ordered another handle with keys from Scamp. I just don't want to mess anything up when I drill the shaft out.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Go to a good locksmith that knows how to do it. A good locksmith can read the wafers within the lock and make a key from that information. Unless of course the wafers and internal springs are corroded and not moving properly. I've been a locksmith for over 30 years and that's how I made keys for a number of locks of that type.
A good locksmith never walks away from a challenge.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #8

TX
Thank you. The locksmith I took it to said without numbers, he couldn't make a key. I thought it odd.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp key

Quote:
I have a 1985 13' Scamp that I bought that did not come with a key. I am about to live in a camp ground for a few months and hoped to get a key made. First, I was going to order a key from Scamp but when I called to order it, they asked for the numbers on the outside handle. There are no numbers so I gave up on that idea. I thought I would just purchase a new outside door handle with a key but I am not able to get the handle off. I've taken all the screws out, beaten the inside shaft with a hammer and the shaft barely moved. (I used WD40) I then took it to a locksmith. He couldn't hammer the shaft out either. He suggested drilling the shaft to get the handle off. Should I do that and if so, what size bit would i use?

Now you have a number, however, do you know another Scamp owner in the area?? Try their key.

k
Old 05-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #10

TX
Thank you. No, I don't know anyone near me who has a Scamp. Casita's but no Scamps.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #11

Wisconsin
Registry
It never fails

Quote:
Thank you. No, I don't know anyone near me who has a Scamp. Casita's but no Scamps.
Every time that I could help, the problem is hundreds of miles away. I still carry the standard Scamp key with me "just in case" some one gets locked out.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Locks

[QUOTE=Bob Durrstein;779481]Scamp doors are well-known, even notorious for older ones, for the factory locks coming open and leaving you 'stuff' all over the road. DAMHIK. Save the trouble and get a new more secure lock with a dead bolt such as https://leisurervparts.com/entry-doo...or-5th-wheels/ . Be sure to set the latch so it does not tear your clothes and body as the factory one can.

Bob, friends, does anyone know if that lock is a direct fit for the older Scamps, i.e. 1993 Scamp 13'. ? ? It looks good and is reasonably priced ! David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #13

Massachusetts
It might not be a direct fit, but it certainly would be do-able. That appears to be the current lock assembly on my 2018 Scamp13. It may require some cutting of the door to install it, but with the proper template it should not be a problem. Just measure twice and cut once.

Betty, you might want to call that company and ask if it comes with a template.

(909) 428-6775
Old 05-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #14

TX
Thank you to everyone that answered me. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
It might not be a direct fit, but it certainly would be do-able. That appears to be the current lock assembly on my 2018 Scamp13. It may require some cutting of the door to install it, but with the proper template it should not be a problem. Just measure twice and cut once.

Betty, you might want to call that company and ask if it comes with a template.

(909) 428-6775

Betty , and fiberglas friends, I called that RV parts co, the guy of course had no idea if it would fit a Scamp or any fiberglas trailer. But he looked up the dimensions : 2 1/2 by 3 1/2, and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 thick. Does anyone know how that matches up with the Scamp 13' dimensions ? David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Thank you, Dan. I'll try drilling it out. I'm not mechanical but I assume I would use a bit a little smaller than the shaft and how far in do I drill?

Before drilling,is there a locksmith near you? I'd bet they could make short work out of finding a key for your lock.

In any case use a drill slighly smaller than the shaft, and drill in 1/4 to 3/8 inch, maybe 1/2 inch if needed.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Lock dimensions

Those dimensions are smaller than the Lock on my Scamp 2018. but for the price its worth a try. I'd go for it.

Although we do not know what the door on her camper lock area looks like in reference to a newer scamp.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Florida
NOT a direct fit. Reuires careful cutting of the door and replacing the (in my 1982) trailer part of the latch. Not a difficult task. Just take your time and be careful. Had to modify anyway with the rehabilitaiton of the trailer.

You can measure and make your own template or I will see if I can find one. I know the samp latch does come with a template from somewhere, but did not see it when I searche for the lock and can install it with the tools and measuring devices that I have. Nothing special.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #19

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' Scamp / 1983
Montana
I’m just chiming in to Betty - I had the same problem with my 82 13’ Scamp, and have not been able to easily remove the entire door latch mechanism for replacement. I’ve had a replacement handle for awhile, and finally dug into the project today, following the above advice to drill out the shaft.

It was no easy task. I went through several drill bits and taught the neighbors new words, but I was FINALLY able to drill through that rusted-together mess and remove the entire thing for replacement. It’s bungied together for the night and I’ll start the clean up and replacement tomorrow.

Thanks to the forum contributors for the help!
Julie in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #20

TX
Thanks Julie!! I ordered my new inside/outside door lock and it has arrived. I'm so glad you told me you were able to get that door handle off! I WD40'd mine today and my drill is ready! Tomorrow's the day. Pray for me.