Problem in high winds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #21

Name: graham
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Alabama
Just want to say that it is recommended to take the wheel off the front jack when traveling so that it doesn’t hit the ground or pavement when going through a dip or over a hump. This is most likely to occur going into a driveway. The wheel typically sticks down 5 or 6 inches more than a flat foot (6 inch diameter wheel).

Graham
Opelika Al
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #22

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
We store the wheel with the chocks in the truck when we are hooked up. Always close by when ready to make camp.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #23
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We always chock both tires on front and back and make sure they are tight.
Yes, agreed! Chock both sides of all wheels seems to help.

What is the consensus about rubber chocks versus plastic chocks?
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Since the jack wheel is used to make moving the trailer easier, it follows that if you don't want the trailer to move, you remove the wheel.

Mine is in a box somewhere in the carport. Dozens of other jack wheels have been left on "free tarps" at rallies.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #25

Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Since the jack wheel is used to make moving the trailer easier, it follows that if you don't want the trailer to move, you remove the wheel.

Mine is in a box somewhere in the carport. Dozens of other jack wheels have been left on "free tarps" at rallies.
This is actually the configuration that has not moved. We still have high winds today, and everything is stable. Of course, I remove it en route.
rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #26

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Yes, agreed! Chock both sides of all wheels seems to help.

What is the consensus about rubber chocks versus plastic chocks?
I use wooden airplane chocks gifted to me by my brother, a pilot.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #27

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When my brother in law had a fold down trailer be got in a big straight line wind that turned the trailers out 90 degrees. He told us about the experience an said it would not happen again. The next time we went out he had made a stabilizer for the jack and gave me one too. It was a piece of 2 by 12 that was square so I suppose 11 1/4 on all sides. ….
Iowa Dave
I was thinking of trying to anchor down, but the surface is rocky.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #28

Kansas
Quote:
We carry a large wooden block of wood about 10X10X8 high I think it is a piece of a RR tie. We never put the wheel under the tongue when camping. The tongue kind of gets into a groove in the block when you use it. We've never had any sliding and we've been in some horrible wind in Utah. ….
Sounds like a good solution.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
We carry a large wooden block of wood about 10X10X8 high I think it is a piece of a RR tie.
We do the same. I didn't invest in a power tongue jack, so a hefty block of wood saves quite a few turns of the crank raising and lowering the coupler.

I've pondered adapting the jack so I could operate it and the stabilizers with an 18V drill. Like most of my thinking, it's just a concept. Once I get our home remodel and a couple of other items wrapped up I can really start making a mess of things with the trailer again (rubs hands in anticipation)!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsooby View Post
I should have clarified my post. When we drove rebar stakes in the ground it was in a state forest area or a primitive state campground where there was no underground utilities. That’s why ground anchors are spooky even in nice soil. When tent and awning guys put up festival tents in cities there are many times where they can only anchor to barrels of sand above ground due to shallow bury on fiber optic, electric lines and utilities of that type. Even a 16 inch stake can get you in a lot of trouble and there’s nobody to call before you drive the stakes.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsooby View Post
I heard of one campground that had anchors in concrete for the trailers to hook into. IDK if that would make me feel safer, or less safe because they were needed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #32

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
We have a bowl type container and a wheel under the jack. That is a grippy, unsliding combo.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #33

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardabush View Post
We have a bowl type container and a wheel under the jack. That is a grippy, unsliding combo.
Sounds secure. I'd have to search around for that because I don't think I've seen one before.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #34

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I've never had a wind problem so this thread raised an interesting issue.
I chock my wheels both ways but almost never lower my stabilizers. But I would lower them in high winds. I carry two sets of legos and two Camco tri levelers. With those I can level the trailer while staying hitched in just about any site I'd care to use.
One configuration I've often found useful when the site is nose low is with the trilevels under the tv rear wheels.

Walt
Old 06-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #35

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
… One configuration I've often found useful when the site is nose low is with the trilevels under the tv rear wheels.

Walt
Good idea. I've had this problem before.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #36

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have a Camco trailer jack wheel dock. It looks a bit like a plastic dog water bowl but has a hole in the bottom for drainage. You lower the wheel into it and it does not roll out of it.

I have not had it shift on the ground, even when on pavement. But I have not used it in high winds on the open plains areas. It such a circumstance it would be wise to leave the trailer hitched to your vehicle as the vehicle is a very heavy anchor weight that both holds down the trailer tongue and keeps it from shifting sideways at the tongue.

Here is a photo in this link of the trailer jack wheel dock. It is widely available from many internet sources.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...sories/8499378
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #37

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
High winds is another one of those things I've never worried about. We were in winds strong enough to send everybody's patio rug South. My wife opened the door and ended up on the ground. The only thing that happened to the trailer was the fridge propane flame blew out.

We've been in some pretty strong winds a few times. I don't know what the wing velocity was but predicted was 60-65 mph.
we've gone to death valley every year in feb. for the past 10 years. We,ve gone Big Bend TX a few time and experienced winds strong enough to rip up tents.

Worry and do things is up to you. Me I'm not going to worry about high winds.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #38

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It does depend. I've only been in winds once that actually made me think I might get blown over. Southern Utah in a small motorhome. It was probably just a feeling, but it really felt as though the tires on one side of the vehicle lifted slightly during a couple gusts. Otherwise I worry about things ripping off my camper but not the camper itself moving. Crazy to hear that they do move, though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #39

Name: Levi
Trailer: Casita
Texas
High winds

Last year in Lajitas a small border town we were caught in a once in 300 year wind storm . Wind gust over 90 mph. I had installed bal c stabilizers front and rear . Our 17 ft Casita stood still while the wind had knocked a few large campers off there blocks and tore up 2 pop up campers. Front and rear stabilizers is what I suggest.
rdteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #40
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdteeler View Post
Last year in Lajitas a small border town we were caught in a once in 300 year wind storm . Wind gust over 90 mph. I had installed bal c stabilizers front and rear . Our 17 ft Casita stood still while the wind had knocked a few large campers off there blocks and tore up 2 pop up campers. Front and rear stabilizers is what I suggest.
Ok good to know 90 mph wind results!
Were you hooked to the TV?
tua is offline   Reply With Quote