Problem in high winds - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
Posts: 50
Problem in high winds

After sustained winds of 30mph and gusts up to 50mph (so my weather app said), I found my front jack cone almost off its block. I've stabilized it for now, and I'll hitch it to the car and reset it when the winds have died down tomorrow. I will not use the block, which does, however give me a level surface on which to put the cone.

Has anyone come up with a good solution for high winds? I did the best I could to point my nose into the prevailing wind, but as you can see, I was off a bit. I do have some partial shielding from a hill on the upwind side.

rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,823
Registry
We were at Myrtle Beach where the trees grow sideways in the wind.
Our 13Scamp was pushed about a foot or more over the few days that we were there. The wind kept blowing out our water heater pilot so we had to tie a folding chair to the bumper as a wind break!
We had a good time anyway...


Wheel chocks may help.

BTW... The forty foot motor homes on either side of us didn't seem affected at all, but they did seem to cause a venturi effect and enhance our "wind tunnel
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: graham
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Alabama
Posts: 21
We were camped in the Guadalupe Mt last year in March. Forecast was 50 mph winds gusting to 70mph. We left the Escape 19 connected to the truck.

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,891
Registry
Heavy rubber wheel chocks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:57 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
Posts: 16
If that yellow pad in your picture is smooth plastic, I would try something more grippy under your jack stand. I've been using the "Camco 44600 Universal Flex Pads", they are heavy and more textured so the stand doesn't slide as easily.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #6
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,542
Registry
I would have to add that I don’t think Bob Dylan was correct! “The answer, my friend, is NOT blowin’ in the wind.”
Very likely everything that has been suggested would help......staying connected, good wheel chocks, and a less slippery jack pad. And then Floyd’s comment comes into play. Have a good time anyway. ��
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Posts: 320
Registry
i stopped using the cone a few years ago after it separated from the jack on 2 different occasions. i'm now using just the plain old flat jack foot with a stack of a few square plastic pads. i like that the foot can stay attached all the time so i don't need to search for it..

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
Member
 
Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
Posts: 50
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. This is my solution for now. BTW, both my wheels were chocked! At least with this setup, if the trailer moves, it will just roll; it won't fall off the cone. I call it my "rock-chocked" wheel. Heh, heh. I'm a University of Kansas graduate, so Rock Chalk!

goalie39 and CPW: I'll check out that Camco pad and other "less slippery" pads.

P.C.: I don't have a flat jack foot. My unit came with the wheel. I will look into this possibility, though. This is my second cone. I noticed on my first one that it had an end-of-life date on it (Feb 2020), so I replaced it earlier this year.

Jon: I'll look into different wheel chocks. My are the wooden ones used for airplanes. They didn't appear to have failed in any way in this case.

guyill: I might rehook the trailer to the car after I've run some errands in town. I think it will be "level enough."

floyd: Wow! I'm not using my water heater, but I'm sure I would have the same problem. The wind woke me up at 5:30am, which was when I jumped up and repositioned the Casita. It's facing nose into the wind more accurately now, so I hope I'm not scooting around like you were.

rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
LarryB.'s Avatar
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Posts: 142
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie39 View Post
If that yellow pad in your picture is smooth plastic, I would try something more grippy under your jack stand. ....
Try using a rubber paver. You can get them at Lowes or Menards.

I bought several to use as levelers. Use a utility knife to split a couple of them in half (16" x 8") and stack them up as necessary.

Then, if I have leftovers, I spread them out under the steps to function as a doormat.

Finally, when I visit the dump site, I stack them all up under the curb-side wheel to facilitate the flow out of the grey tank.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
Member
 
Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
Try using a rubber paver. You can get them at Lowes or Menards.

I bought several to use as levelers. Use a utility knife to split them in half (16" x 8") and stack them up as necessary.

Then, if I have leftovers, I spread them out under the steps to function as a doormat.
Great solution!
rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
jon carpenter's Avatar
 
Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Posts: 104
When we bought our used Casita several years ago it came with a tongue wheel and this orange tung-n-chock. It has served us well and have had no problems. It is stored with the four chocks when in transit. Had no reason to change to a flat plate...so far.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1980.jpg  
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #12
Member
 
Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
When we bought our used Casita several years ago it came with a tongue wheel and this orange tung-n-chock. It has served us well and have had no problems. It is stored with the four chocks when in transit. Had no reason to change to a flat plate...so far.
Interesting. Haven't seen one of those before.
rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
tua
Senior Member
 
tua's Avatar
 
Name: Manley
Trailer: Happier Camper
Everywhere, USA
Posts: 200
Questions

May we know where you are? Winds have been one of our worries since extremes of (wind, rain and storms) were pretty nonexistent where we came from.

The first time we experienced high winds was at the South Dakota rally last year. A tornado was passing through so wind speed was variable and everyone went to the concrete bathroom for shelter (except us, since we didn't know any better). We rode the rocky winds. Wheels chocked, front tongue wheel not chocked, not hooked to the truck. A few trailers moved a bit.

The second time was in Utah in February - just under 30 mph winds. Same scenario as above, wheels chocked, front tongue wheel not chocked, not hooked to the truck. All trailers ok.

Third time was not wind but the 5.7 Utah earthquake in a crowded RV park in March. I happened to be standing in the doorway of the trailer with the door open. I watched our truck next to me bounce and rock side to side and almost flip but the trailer did not bounce and rock as much as the truck. Trailer was fully chocked, including the tongue wheel (although the tongue wheel was turned side to side instead of front to back as in your picture, not sure if that would make a difference). The only thought on why the truck rocked and bounced more may be because the truck has springs and the trailer has a torsion axle? Surveying the aftermath, most all of the other trailers and 5th wheelers in the park (we were the only fiberglass and also the smallest) had their tongues off their blocks. Our trailer did not move.

I have heard there are some trailer parks that have in ground tie downs. Wouldn't it be nice if they all did?
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
Member
 
Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
May we know where you are? Winds have been one of our worries since extremes of (wind, rain and storms) were pretty nonexistent where we came from.

The first time we experienced high winds was at the South Dakota rally last year. A tornado was passing through so wind speed was variable and everyone went to the concrete bathroom for shelter (except us, since we didn't know any better). We rode the rocky winds. Wheels chocked, front tongue wheel not chocked, not hooked to the truck. A few trailers moved a bit.

The second time was in Utah in February - just under 30 mph winds. Same scenario as above, wheels chocked, front tongue wheel not chocked, not hooked to the truck. All trailers ok.

Third time was not wind but the 5.7 Utah earthquake in a crowded RV park in March. I happened to be standing in the doorway of the trailer with the door open. I watched our truck next to me bounce and rock side to side and almost flip but the trailer did not bounce and rock as much as the truck. Trailer was fully chocked, including the tongue wheel (although the tongue wheel was turned side to side instead of front to back as in your picture, not sure if that would make a difference). The only thought on why the truck rocked and bounced more may be because the truck has springs and the trailer has a torsion axle? Surveying the aftermath, most all of the other trailers and 5th wheelers in the park (we were the only fiberglass and also the smallest) had their tongues off their blocks. Our trailer did not move.

I have heard there are some trailer parks that have in ground tie downs. Would it be nice if the all did?
I am in the Apache Sitgreaves National Forest in Arizona at just over 9000ft. You've gone through much more than I have. Haven't had to ride out an earthquake yet.
rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #15
Member
 
Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
Posts: 67
Good wheel chocks on both sides plus the stabilizers have always worked for me.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,110
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
When we bought our used Casita several years ago it came with a tongue wheel and this orange tung-n-chock. It has served us well and have had no problems. It is stored with the four chocks when in transit. Had no reason to change to a flat plate...so far.
What a great idea will have to look for this item thanks for showing it
__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #17
Member
 
Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASITA BANANA View Post
Good wheel chocks on both sides plus the stabilizers have always worked for me.
Yep, they were all in place.
rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsooby View Post
After sustained winds of 30mph and gusts up to 50mph (so my weather app said), I found my front jack cone almost off its block. I've stabilized it for now, and I'll hitch it to the car and reset it when the winds have died down tomorrow. I will not use the block, which does, however give me a level surface on which to put the cone.

Has anyone come up with a good solution for high winds? I did the best I could to point my nose into the prevailing wind, but as you can see, I was off a bit. I do have some partial shielding from a hill on the upwind side.

We carry a large wooden block of wood about 10X10X8 high I think it is a piece of a RR tie. We never put the wheel under the tongue when camping. The tongue kind of gets into a groove in the block when you use it. We've never had any sliding and we've been in some horrible wind in Utah. We actually took the picnic table ,one of the steel ones and laid it on its side a few inches from the trailer in case we blew over. Thought at least maybe we wouldn't go all the way over if we rolled. The tongue never moved on the block and it never has in 13 years. We always chock both tires on front and back and make sure they are tight.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:23 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Posts: 757
When my brother in law had a fold down trailer be got in a big straight line wind that turned the trailers out 90 degrees. He told us about the experience an said it would not happen again. The next time we went out he had made a stabilizer for the jack and gave me one too. It was a piece of 2 by 12 that was square so I suppose 11 1/4 on all sides. The he boxed in the top side with smaller Pieces of four by four all lagged together. The jack post went in the center. He had anti slip notches cut on the bottom. In two opposite corners he had 5/8 holes drilled. Those were for two 1/2 inch by about 16 inch rebar stakes with a nut welded on the top. We only drove those in if a storm was on the way. Or If we were staying out for the week. No more spinning in the night. I have seen people put in earth anchors a few times too.
I’ve never had a real problem with our Escape and if bad weather is predicted I stay hooked up to the tow rig.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Catalina
Maine
Posts: 8
Winds and trailer movement

We have a "small older 5th wheel", and no it is not fiberglass but I enjoy following your forum. Started about 4 years ago before we bought.

We were caught in a tornado warning and heavy thunderstorm activity just beyond Columbus, OH in April of 2018 in a campground for the night on the Indiana line I believe and we did not unhook from our 3/4 ton truck. Luckily that site was somewhat downhill as I almost always have to unhook for leveling. The wind blew extremely strong and that camper shook all night long.

There was one other night on our 52 day trip that year that we did not unhook also in New Mexico or Arizona when they were getting strong winds and there was little protection. Other campers at that place recommended remaining being hooked up after I questioned why the 3 or 4 other rigs in that facility were all parked 90 degrees to what management normally allowed. Got a good sandblasting that evening.

I would recommend staying hooked if real heavy winds were predicted.
boatnics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tornadoes / High Winds TonyJanet General Chat 43 04-11-2018 10:19 AM
High winds eBay cover...can I wrap with clothesline? CampyTime Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 13 02-23-2014 05:33 PM
High winds with a scamp. PleinAirGal General Chat 9 04-09-2013 09:40 PM
Older Women Escape Winter Winds Donna D. General Chat 10 02-12-2012 04:36 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.