Problem w/ scamp rear bumper jack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Problem w/ scamp rear bumper jack

I'm having trouble get the jacks to release...... I thought that you pulled the release toward middle of camper
Does this sound correct
Maybe rusted solid??

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I hope that you aren't using the stabilizers as "Jacks" they aren't designed for that and can jam if overloaded. If you can somehow lift the weight off you might have better luck with the release. Try lowering the front until the weight is off the stabilizers first.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
No weight on them
i'm trying to get them to drop down as stabilizers
Can't figure out if they are stuck or rusted in up position

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Yes, you pull them to the center to lower the stablizer. If you can't pull it out, go to the end of the bumper. You will see the end of the stablizer tube. To release tap on the inner tube with a punch or other metalic device. If working properly you should be able to take your stalblizer rod, push on the tube and the stablizer should drop down on it's own.
Eddie
Sorry tap on the outer tube.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Extended after travel

I find that some times the jacks will extend when traveling. I have to release the tap that's part way down the stabilizer and push the foot back in. The foot gets caught against the fiberglass and won't let the stabilizers extend enough to release.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I find that some times the jacks will extend when traveling. I have to release the tap that's part way down the stabilizer and push the foot back in. The foot gets caught against the fiberglass and won't let the stabilizers extend enough to release.
Same experience here, especially when traveling on rough roads. When the stabilizers extend, the foot stops against the bike rack receiver, sometimes it takes a few bangs with the bar that I use to set them. Some day I'll have to come up with some sort of a hook to prevent this from happening.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have had that problem with my curb side stab. I lubed it with white lithium grease and the mechanism got happier. The other one has always worked just fine. Easy to do and perhaps will help greatly as did for me.

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Both of mine were toast (rusted) when I got my 88'. I replaced them with the cheapest delivered ones I could find, buy-it-now off fleabay. Sometimes even the new ones can be difficult to get loose from the stowed position. In those cases I grab the foot and snatch it out pulling the upper part loose in the process.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
I'm having trouble get the jacks to release...... I thought that you pulled the release toward middle of camper
Does this sound correct
Maybe rusted solid??

They do get rusty, and stick.
Once you get them down, unbolt them, check if bent or damaged.
Take them apart, de-rust, paint, lubricate ....although that just attracts dirt, so better to keep dry.

But, You may want to shell out for a pair of BAL single leg screw jacks.
They, unfortunately do not fit up to the bumper as is. they require another cross member, like a 1 x 2 rectangular tube, which can be welded or bolted to the frame members just ahead of the bumper. Big advantage is they have a much wider range of adjustment than the kick stands.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #10

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
I also installed the BAL screw jacks. Big improvement! Installation is relatively easy IF you have a factory installed two inch receiver because it has a support cross member installed in the perfect location to lag screw on the new jacks.
Rick
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp