Problem with Atwood furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Dutchmen
Can anyone help me with a problem with my Atwood frunace? The problem is when you turn the furnace on it comes on fine. When it reaches temperature, It shuts off. But it never comes back on, if you turn it off for an hour or so and turn it back on it comes back on. Although the furnace is still under warranty, the dealers a 2 Hour Drive, I like to try to take care of this problem myself.
I already tried a new thermostat.
JPraeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm going to suggest that you check with Atwood on this one.
Several years ago I had a new furnace put in my then house. It would do the same thing, start once then not again. In my case there was a valve the would not let gas into the burner if the pressure was too high. It required the gas company to replace the gas regulator.

I realize that I might be comparing apples and oranges, but it might be worth an email or phone call.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: TM14 Surfside
Quote:
I'm going to suggest that you check with Atwood on this one.
Several years ago I had a new furnace put in my then house. It would do the same thing, start once then not again. In my case there was a valve the would not let gas into the burner if the pressure was too high. It required the gas company to replace the gas regulator.

I realize that I might be comparing apples and oranges, but it might be worth an email or phone call.
What type of Atwood furnace is it? Did it work properly in the past or is it a new install?
Timmy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Dutchmen
Quote:
What type of Atwood furnace is it? Did it work properly in the past or is it a new install?

Hydo-flame 8500. It is a new camper. I picked it up this past March. I used the furnace for 3 day then. I haven't used it since. It worked fine then.
JPraeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

Name: mike19
Trailer: 32 dbhs FLEETWOOD
Ontario
i am having the same problem, i have a 2007 Terry Dakota 32 dbhs, mint shape, i have had the gas valve repalced, it worked fine for a year, it then did the same thing, i had a furnace guy look at it, he couldn't figure it out, i then took the furnace out and the rv place told me it was a wire connection and fixed it, it worked for a day last year, turned it on this year, and same thing, it turns on and comes to temp, and locks out, but an hour or so later it comes on. it's driving me nuts, any suggestions
mikeleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
As inconvenient as it may be to drive the 2 hours to the dealer, that's what you need to do. Once you start messing with it you are going to void your warranty. If it was an old out of warranty trailer then it might be worth a "self" fix.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I have a 2007 Bigfoot with the Atwood furnace that did the same thing. I replaced the thermostat (needed a better digital one anyhow...), then the temp overlimit switch (which is what the flashing light indicated on the circuit board--what a pain to access), then the black switch/breaker just inside the outside cover, then the entire circuit board (which the RV place tested and said seemed basically OK, but barely in spec--bought the aftermarket Dinosaur board). It still had the problem intermittently, but then I bumped a wire bundle and it started up. If I recall, I think a long stretch of swear words followed. I replaced one of the splice connectors and it has been mostly fine, though it has happened once or twice since but then corrected itself. I should probably redo all the connections.

I read every manual available and consider it an intellectual challenge to troubleshoot a problem like this. If I have the design, I figure I should be able to reason through how it works and identify the problem. Often I can, but this one really kicked my butt. I probably spent more money on it than if I had taken it in to a competent technician. But, I do have a pretty good understanding of furnace operation now--sort of mini-course if you will. If I were you, I would decide how much you enjoy the challenge. If this sort of thing isn't fun to you, then check a few connectors and then take it in. Connections and switches are common problems, and perhaps all the jostling during travel and maybe corrosion are causing our grief. Kind of suspicious, though, how exact the symptoms--it seems like their should be a very specific component or connection causing the trouble. I was not, however, able to find it anywhere on the internet.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

Name: mike19
Trailer: 32 dbhs FLEETWOOD
Ontario
thanks Derek, your reply has helped me a lot, I am a licenced electrician, I am the same, I can troubleshoot and I have a changed all the things you have, and it still happens, I diagnosed it last year and yes by shaking the wires it started and worked intermittently, I took it in and they replaced 1 connection, I put it back in and it worked for a day, now this year as mentioned it is working funny again, I WILL take your advise and I will change all the wire connections, Barring that, ELECTIRC HEAT, Thanks again for your help, it's nice to see I not alone. Mike
mikeleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Well, it makes me feel better that an electrician had trouble too. Please post if redoing connections solves the problem completely--I'd like to know for sure. These furnaces are too nice and too expensive not to use. It is one of the reasons I upgraded from our first trailer.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace