Problem with MaxxFan in a crosswind, Scamp 13, 2021 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2023, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Problem with MaxxFan in a crosswind, Scamp 13, 2021

I have a 2021 Scamp 13 with a sort of fancy MaxxFan on the roof as show in the pictures below. Recently the wind came up pretty strong from the side in a campsite where I was sleeping and the fan did not handle that well. I am used to sleeping in a lot of wind. I am guessing it was about 40 to 50 mph (gusts), not super extreme, but the fan assembly seemed to be opening a little and I was concerned it would tear off during the night. After a little while I decided to hook up the tow vehicle and move the Scamp to be facing the wind, but I would rather not have to do that. I am thinking of swapping this fan out for an older fan with a more modest profile. This is the type of fan you find on slightly older Scamps including specifically 2015. I had a Scamp with a fan like this second one before and I think it handles wind better.
Has anyone else had trouble with the MaxXFan with the overhang design (see picture below)? (I heard a story of them ripping of the roof during delivery transport.)
Any advice is appreciated. (I know that parking facing into the wind is ideal, but it is not always easy and I like to have options...) The first 2 pictures are the MaxXFan that I am having trouble with, the third picture is an older style fan that I am thinking of using to replace that MaxXFan.
Thanks very much.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2914.jpg   IMG_2907.jpg  

OldStyleFan.jpg  
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:23 AM   #2

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
current fan cover orientation?

It looks like the roof curvature falls away from the 'ball cap brim' on the fan cover. I can see that the added clearance could allow up-draft from a side breeze blowing up the roof to cause issues.
I can't tell from the images if the present cover has to be rotated into that opening orientation because of interference with the air conditioner, or if there's room to remove the cover, rotate it 90 (or 180) degrees, and re-install it. That rotation to an area over a flatter roof section might close the gap / wind funnel that is trying to lift a closed cover.

That would be my second choice, with a replacement fan and/or cover as a third or lower choice. Will the new fan have the same mounting pattern or will additional holes need to be added, possibly leaving current mounting holes open? It's the purchase cost and install labor involved that would dissuade me from choosing a replacement as a higher choice.

My first choice would be adding a vertical lip down from the current cover to the roof. Garage door lower seal or something like that, just something cheap, easy to peel and stick, and suited as a proof of concept.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:33 AM   #3

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I have a 2021 Scamp 13 with a sort of fancy MaxxFan on the roof as show in the pictures below. Recently the wind came up pretty strong from the side in a campsite where I was sleeping and the fan did not handle that well. I am used to sleeping in a lot of wind. I am guessing it was about 40 to 50 mph (gusts), not super extreme, but the fan assembly seemed to be opening a little and I was concerned it would tear off during the night. After a little while I decided to hook up the tow vehicle and move the Scamp to be facing the wind, but I would rather not have to do that. I am thinking of swapping this fan out for an older fan with a more modest profile. This is the type of fan you find on slightly older Scamps including specifically 2015. I had a Scamp with a fan like this second one before and I think it handles wind better.
Has anyone else had trouble with the MaxXFan with the overhang design (see picture below)? (I heard a story of them ripping of the roof during delivery transport.)
Any advice is appreciated. (I know that parking facing into the wind is ideal, but it is not always easy and I like to have options...) The first 2 pictures are the MaxXFan that I am having trouble with, the third picture is an older style fan that I am thinking of using to replace that MaxXFan.
Thanks very much.
Your replacement option is fine until the rain sensor doesn't work. BTDT

If you really want to scoop air add a vent cover.

I'll be putting a MaxxFan 10 speed, no remote (the remote is known to fail) above the bed in our Bigfoot when I get a chance. We had one for four years and it was wonderful.

There is no perfect vent.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:12 PM   #4

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita
Meandering
Am I not seeing the photo correctly or is the fan opening facing towards the front of the trailer? If so, is that the correct orientation? Is that how Casita installed it?

On my 2021 17 footer, the fan opening is facing the rear of the trailer--looking at the AC unit. I've been in 50 mph winds and never had an issue with the cover or the fan.
Prop_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:56 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop_Joe View Post
Am I not seeing the photo correctly or is the fan opening facing towards the front of the trailer? If so, is that the correct orientation? Is that how Casita installed it?

On my 2021 17 footer, the fan opening is facing the rear of the trailer--looking at the AC unit. I've been in 50 mph winds and never had an issue with the cover or the fan.
It opens toward the back. I think the problem is in the design. The orientation is the standard one; opening toward the rear of the Scamp. The air conditioner is mounted in front of the fan.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:02 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Your replacement option is fine until the rain sensor doesn't work. BTDT

If you really want to scoop air add a vent cover.

I'll be putting a MaxxFan 10 speed, no remote (the remote is known to fail) above the bed in our Bigfoot when I get a chance. We had one for four years and it was wonderful.

There is no perfect vent.

Enjoy,

Perry
I don't use a rain sensor. I just operate it manually. I don't really want to scoop air. I want a trailer that is a bit more robust in strong winds and where I don't have to worry about the fan getting damaged by wind.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:05 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB View Post
It looks like the roof curvature falls away from the 'ball cap brim' on the fan cover. I can see that the added clearance could allow up-draft from a side breeze blowing up the roof to cause issues.
I can't tell from the images if the present cover has to be rotated into that opening orientation because of interference with the air conditioner, or if there's room to remove the cover, rotate it 90 (or 180) degrees, and re-install it. That rotation to an area over a flatter roof section might close the gap / wind funnel that is trying to lift a closed cover.

That would be my second choice, with a replacement fan and/or cover as a third or lower choice. Will the new fan have the same mounting pattern or will additional holes need to be added, possibly leaving current mounting holes open? It's the purchase cost and install labor involved that would dissuade me from choosing a replacement as a higher choice.

My first choice would be adding a vertical lip down from the current cover to the roof. Garage door lower seal or something like that, just something cheap, easy to peel and stick, and suited as a proof of concept.
It can't really be rotated. It opens toward the rear of the Scamp. Like you say, the curvature of the Scamp leads to a large gap toward the aft end and maybe that is a big part of the problem?
Old 05-27-2023, 10:11 PM   #8

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
I don't use a rain sensor. I just operate it manually. I don't really want to scoop air. I want a trailer that is a bit more robust in strong winds and where I don't have to worry about the fan getting damaged by wind.
So if you forget to close the cover, and it rains when you're away, you'll wish you had that MaxxFan back. BTDT.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:09 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
.....the curvature of the Scamp leads to a large gap toward the aft end and maybe that is a big part of the problem?
I strongly suspect so. Wind coming from either side, or especially from the rear, will be deflected by the trailer. Some will be deflected around, some up and over. It's the up and over component that can strike the underside of that overhang. You've seen the mattress-tied-to-the-car-roof scenario? Same thing.
Closing off as much of that overhang as is feasible will significantly mitigate the upward lift that I suspect is the root of your concern.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:26 PM   #10

Meandering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB View Post
Hey, that's a great idea!

A 1/8" or 1/16" thick sheet of kydex would be quite easy to cut & mold to the shape and curvature of the fan cover and roof.

A few thin strips of VHB could be used to test the fit & function and afterward the lip could be easily pop-riveted in place.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:26 AM   #11

Massachusetts
If you use something narrow, having an 'edge', leave a gap, maybe as much as 3/8 inch, between it and the fiberglass roof surface. The last thing you'd want is the inherent 'wind' buffeting during towing to flex the fan cover enough to allow an edged add-on to repeatedly flap on the camper shell.
One or the other: Something soft and with a wider contact area can be positioned to remain in contact with the shell. Something narrow with an edge has to be positioned to NEVER contact the shell.

I don't think it's necessary to create a vacuum tight seal, just blocking most of the side or tail wind from getting under when camped is enough.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:17 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
The max man has to prop rods to open and close the fan. Where is the third picture only has one. I would believe he would have universe problem, and 50 mile an hour winds with only one property as opposed to the two before losing the cover.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:23 AM   #13

Massachusetts
So,... that's another reason to keep the Maxx and to work on limiting up-draft opportunities with the existing cover???
Old 05-31-2023, 10:06 AM   #14

Meandering
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
The max man has to prop rods to open and close the fan. Where is the third picture only has one. I would believe he would have universe problem, and 50 mile an hour winds with only one property as opposed to the two before losing the cover.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:43 AM   #15

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
California
I got tired of wind, noise, and most important Pineneedles and leaves falling into the screen of my fan. I bought a max air vent cover that allows me to keep my vent open in rain, wind, and all that mother nature can throw at me and not a bit of it gets inside my Vent screen. You are about $31 away from fixing your problem. Go here: MAXXAIR 00-933066 Original Vent Cover-White https://a.co/d/2gzKBph
doctoruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Was the MaxxFan cover open or closed?
When closed, do you cinch it down and lock it by pushing up in the knob?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:32 PM   #17

Meandering
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoruv View Post
I got tired of wind, noise, and most important Pineneedles and leaves falling into the screen of my fan. I bought a max air vent cover that allows me to keep my vent open in rain, wind, and all that mother nature can throw at me and not a bit of it gets inside my Vent screen. You are about $31 away from fixing your problem. Go here: MAXXAIR 00-933066 Original Vent Cover-White https://a.co/d/2gzKBph
I looked at doing this as well but read this in the installation instructions:

Not recommended for High-Powered Fans like MAXXFAN, MAXXFAN Plus Fans, ShurFlo Fan or Fantastic Fan. Use instead the NEW FANMATE®

They also show the vent cover being installed on a non fan-equipped opening.

The pdf installation manual is too big to upload here, but it's the same one on the ama.zon link, above.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:35 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Was the MaxxFan cover open or closed?
When closed, do you cinch it down and lock it by pushing up in the knob?
It was closed. But I didn't know about locking it. Maybe that is my problem? I am not sure the one I have does lock though. Maybe there are there two types?
Old 05-31-2023, 10:40 PM   #19

California
Just to be clear, I am talking about wanting a fan that is secure in a strong crosswind when it is closed and not in use. Having a secure Scamp when it is cold and windy and there is no thought of opening or using the fan. I don't imagine that having two rods or one rod makes that much difference when the fan is closed (though I could be wrong about that).

Tags
scamp