Problems out after a long spell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2021, 07:06 PM   #1

Name: Debra
Trailer: Casita 2019
FL
Problems out after a long spell

Hi all...I only took a couple of trips out in my new Casita Spirit Delux before health problems and COVID hit. So, after it sat outside in the Florida sun for 1.5 years.

Before venturing out, I tended to the exterior, tires, axil etc but on first night out the hot water heater and electric do not seem to work. My phone is not charging from the outlets, frig not getting cold and water is cold. I will delve into the books and search website tomorrow but fear I am running off battery rather than provided shore power. Lights and fan working. Any ideas or suggestions wecome. Many thanks. Oh, propane stove working but not propane water heater when i had it switched on. Thanks for any advice.
Debbie in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Did you look to see if the breaker is on in the campground electric box. EDIT; also check the breakers in the trailer power panel
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:13 PM   #3

FL
Thanks. The RV Park had a switch for outside light abd that worked...and an on/off switch depending on volts used. Light switch worked and I turned on the 30 volt switch to on.

Now the breaker switches are off, i think. I have never messed with them but had to have the electrical panel replaced and there are four switches next to the fuses...all off. Took a picture but cannot upload. Should I flip all to on?

You are a life saver...and a foodsaver. And I am dangerous out on my own with so little knowledge.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #4

New York
That would be a 30 "AMP" breaker in the campground box. You should be plugged into the 30 amp plug. It is recommended that when you plug in or unplug that the breaker is off, so you will usually find it off when you get to a campsite. Yes, flip on the breakers (switches) in you trailer panel.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #5

New York
Some campgrounds have a light on the power post that is connected to the 20 amp breaker. Since you are plugged into the 30 amp plug only, you could turn off the 20 amp breaker if the light is annoying.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #6

FL
Thank you Mary and Bob...all seems well. The phone now shows it is being charged and the AC (not needed tonight even in florida ) tested on and I hear a humm from the frig. Thanks so much. I will sleep better tonight knowing this is resolved. Not sure why frig did not pick up propane for energy but that ok. Much obliged.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #7

FL
Humming sounds from fuse box and electrical panel in Casita. Do not remember that from former box. Do you know if that is normal?
Old 01-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #8

New York
I would guess the humming is normal. Some power converters have a fan to keep them cool if under heavy load. The hum may also be related to the battery being charged. So there is another question, do you know the condition of the battery. Did it go dead during the time the trailer wasn't used? If so it may be no good. Is there a meter in your trailer that shows battery charge? It may be a good idea to get the battery tested, some auto parts stores can do that.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #9

FL
The humming stopped. It was a fan.

Re the battery, I had it disconnected while the Casita was in the storage lot. Apparently the CO2 alarm keeps running and wears it down so I disconnect it when not in use. I reconnected the battery and only drove it about an hour to get to this RV spot so it got charged some and kept the lights and fan going for a while til I tried to charge the phone and realized the problem was more than the frig.

I will get it checked. Isn't there some sort of voltage meter I can buy to test it as well?

I am hoping to do some longer trips after I learn more. And, as you can see I have a lot to learn! Tent camping was easier but not as comfortable.

Very happy you were there to help tonight,!
Old 01-06-2021, 12:13 AM   #10

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Volt meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
I will get it checked. Isn't there some sort of voltage meter I can buy to test it as well?,!
The selection is endless, for a cheap tester the HF is great, you are not out much if lost or stolen. At one time they gave them away with ANY purchase.
https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ter-63759.html
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
Not sure why frig did not pick up propane for energy but that ok. Much obliged.
If your battery was low, (as in discharged, and with no 120 VAC power coming into the converter,) then your fridge wouldn't work at all, whether it was set on 12 VDC, 120 VAC, or Propane. All 3 methods of cooling the fridge are dependent on the presence of 12 VDC, (i.e. from either your battery or your converter,) to provide power to the fridge's control board. Without 12 VDC power to the control board, the fridge will not work, no matter which method you have chosen to cool it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:17 AM   #12

New York
I use a hand held battery tester that puts a 100 amp load on the battery for 10 seconds. It has a voltage meter. Gives a better idea of battery condition than just reading voltage. Any repair shop should have one, and parts stores that do battery testing.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #13

FL
Thanks. I will be venturing out later this week as nd will get something.

My battery was working as it powered the lights but maybe that was not enough because once I put the internal breaker one, the frig started up.

I have not re read my literature on hot water heater but when i turned it on it made the co2 alarm go off. So, i aired the place out, and reset co2 alarm. I could smell the gas. Stove has worked fine. There are hot showers here so i am in no hurry but need to straighten that out. Any ideas?

Lesson learned, i need to use my casita regularly, even if just overnight at local site.

I am so grateful for this site and the expertise of those more experienced than I, which is probably just about anyone. Lol.