Problems with Our Propane System - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Have had some interesting problems with propane too.

A couple hints I have not seen mentioned yet. A bit of dirt in the tank connection will do that. Now I don't have them refilled and swap them instead. And I have gotten some bad tanks. Check a lot around that connection.

That noise sure sounds like an internal noise with the regulator. I here echoing and that would be happening inside the unit.

Now one thing I do at times with noises is to get a dowel or rod like a couple feet long and then place it at various places and then listen to the end of the rod. With a direct connect like that if you are at the location of the noise you will hear it much louder and clearer. And that might tell you something.

I also have at times created a leak like not quite screwing the tank connector all the way on to make sure my soap is working and bubbling good. Some are much better than others.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #22

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Woodstock, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Thanks again, everyone. The new line (joined a foot back from the break), hoses, and regulator are in place and triple checked for leaks with both a gas sniffer and soapy water. Zero leaks and no noises! I fastened the piping in place under the trailer and resprayed the insulation foam, leaving the connection area open for future inspections. New CO/gas detector being installed today after doing new smoke alarms (2) yesterday. Ready to go camping again in December for our southern Florida trip.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #23

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Thanks again, everyone. The new line (joined a foot back from the break), hoses, and regulator are in place and triple checked for leaks with both a gas sniffer and soapy water. Zero leaks and no noises! I fastened the piping in place under the trailer and resprayed the insulation foam, leaving the connection area open for future inspections. New CO/gas detector being installed today after doing new smoke alarms (2) yesterday. Ready to go camping again in December for our southern Florida trip.

One thing I do is a pressure holding test. Basically I turn on the gas and light the stove and let it get going right. Then I turn it off and turn off the gas. Then I wait a day. Then I make sure I don't smell gas and then turn on and light the stove. It should light and stay lit for a short time. If it will not light then you probably still have a leak.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #24

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
One thing I do is a pressure holding test. Basically I turn on the gas and light the stove and let it get going right. Then I turn it off and turn off the gas. Then I wait a day. Then I make sure I don't smell gas and then turn on and light the stove. It should light and stay lit for a short time. If it will not light then you probably still have a leak.
A small leak and the bad smell goes away. Lighting the stove and no explosion could be an indication there is no leak within the camper.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #25

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Woodstock, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I did the stove test yesterday and it lit for a few seconds. Probably OK. Also, the leak was never inside, so we’re OK there, too.

Frankly, seeing the quality of workmanship we’ve had at local RV places in the past year, I’m willing to bet more on my own carefully done and checked repairs. I’m on no one’s clock but my own.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #26

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
I know you can do it, I have seen your work before.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #27

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
A small leak and the bad smell goes away. Lighting the stove and no explosion could be an indication there is no leak within the camper.

The point of doing the smell test is to make sure that there is not an explosion danger. I also open and run all my vents when doing this. If you pressurize your propane system it should stay pressurized. If it has a small leak then it will drop back to basically zero over night. But if it maintains pressure over night then it is not actually leaking.

I actually do that with my water system too. I turn my pump on with everything off and the system full of water and then turn its power off once it shuts offand come back and turn on the pump. If the pump runs there is a leak.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:24 AM   #28

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
I know you can do it, I have seen your work before.
I trust his work more than anyone, including RV mechanics. They charged us 900 dollars for work that Kevin had to redo, and then it was done right.

CindyL

Tags
propane