Propane: 1 vs 2 tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2022, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Shopping
Michigan
Propane: 1 vs 2 tanks

I have a Scamp 13 standard with furnace ordered. Trying to decide if I need 2 propane tanks. Plan to mostly boondocks. Live in Michigan. So, it gets cold. Plan to do some late fall/early spring camping where the furnace will be needed. Thoughts/opinions/experience?
Redneckyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:17 PM   #2

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
AZ
That extra cylinder full of propane hurts nothing, and most welcome, if you are out in BFE when the first one runs out.
Yes, go with two cylinders.
My $.02
2004scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:39 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
I've never had a trailer with just one tank, it is comforting to know you have a full tank in reserve, when you have no idea of the amount left in the first one.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
One tank saves 40 pounds off the tongue and the tow weight.
Easy enough to weigh your tank pretrip...
18#= Empty/=38#= Full.

Also, most truck stops offer fills by the "gallon". nearly as convenient as a TV gas stop so you can top off the tank if you anticipate extended use.

Another point is that the furnace uses a lot of battery anyway, so that is a factor when using the Furnace.

We have never had an issue with one tank, but you must be aware of how much you've got and how much you'll likely need.

I vote "NO" to the extra tank, but it ain't a crime to have one.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I'm a big fan of forklift propane tanks. They are available in 33.5lbs and 43.5lbs sizes. I have used a 33.5lbs tank for some time now:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ank-49385.html

-They lay on their side
-They carry almost as much as two 20lbs tanks, (more, if you have the 43.5lbs tank)
-They have a fuel gauge that uses a float
-They are aluminum, and lighter than comparable fibreglass tanks, (24 and 25lbs)
-They have a quick fill port that can be filled, without removing the tank from the trailer
-It looks cool
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Point.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	145361

I'm considering adding another one, for all the reasons already mentioned. I plan to mount them in a line, across the front of the trailer, bottom to bottom. That way the quick fill ports are on either side. A custom bracket will be required.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #6

AZ
HAZARDOUS AS HE**

WHOA....HOLD UP!!!!

Just to note, a forklift/automotive cylinder is designed to provide LIQUID propane to the engine. A camper uses VAPOR ONLY.

DO NOT USE A LIQUID FEED CYLINDER ON A CAMPER FOR APPLIANCE USE.....YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF AND/OR SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!

Forklifts use liquid propane and grills/generators/etc. use propane gas (vapor). You can blow yourself up using that kind of tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I'm a big fan of forklift propane tanks. They are available in 33.5lbs and 43.5lbs sizes. I have used a 33.5lbs tank for some time now:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ank-49385.html

-They lay on their side
-They carry almost as much as two 20lbs tanks, (more, if you have the 43.5lbs tank.
-They have a fuel gauge that uses a float
-They are aluminum, and lighter than comparable fibreglass tanks
-They have a quick fill port that can be filled, without removing the tank from the trailer
-It looks cool
Attachment 145361

I'm considering adding another one, for all the reasons already mentioned. I plan to mount them in a line, across the front of the trailer, bottom to bottom. That way the quick fill ports are on either side. A custom bracket will be required.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #7

AZ
I know I jumped out there quick, but I worked with Propane some years ago, and there were casualties with someone using a LIQUID cylinder on a VAPOR ONLY application.

Now mind you, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, you can convert the VAPOR valve to the correct port on that cylinder (there are multiple bungs, and you need to use the correct one), and safely use it for a VAPOR ONLY application. But, you can't take a forklift cylinder, and just connect it to your camper like it connects to a forklift. No No No!

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you are thinking of doing this, consult your local Propane company for advisement, and safety sake. Make sure you understand exactly what you need to do, to use that type of cylinder safely.

That said, safe camping
Old 03-28-2022, 07:48 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004scamp View Post
WHOA....HOLD UP!!!!

Just to note, a forklift/automotive cylinder is designed to provide LIQUID propane to the engine. A camper uses VAPOR ONLY.

DO NOT USE A LIQUID FEED CYLINDER ON A CAMPER FOR APPLIANCE USE.....YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF AND/OR SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!

Forklifts use liquid propane and grills/generators/etc. use propane gas (vapor). You can blow yourself up using that kind of tank.
Ummm.... You might want to read the thread that I linked to. Several other people made the same comment, almost as caps lock, as yours. Though bold and italics have me impressed.

I have used an aluminum forklift tank since 2011, more than a decade. I am not discussing theory. Did you notice the picture? As noted in the linked thread, there are forklift propane tanks that are manufactured with a vapor port, as well as a liquid port. I know that both Manchester and Worthington make them that way. Note the text I have circled in the picture below.

Name:	Worthington 33lbs Forklift Propane Tank.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	145368

On edit, I found the following in a Worthington brochure:

Name:	Worthington 33lbs Forklift Propane Tank 2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	145369
I wish I could find this configuration in the 43.5lbs version. Note that it has a liquid, vapor AND a quick fill port.

On my tank, the quick fill valve was moved to the liquid port, and a vapor valve was added to the vapor port. The valve that came with the tank is for liquid and is not compatible with vapor connections. Safety first. I think next time, instead of buying a brand new vapor valve, I will salvage one off of an expired tank.

Since the Worthington tanks are shinier, I might switch to them. I recently was shopping and found a vendor for them at a similar price to what I paid in 2011, ($220 cdn). Though that has likely gone up recently. The 43.5lbs tanks are very difficult to find.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:05 PM   #9

AZ
Yes, I did read the link after I responded. Lots of great information, and should be read by everyone who owns a camper using propane!

Correct, the cylinders have LIQUID and VAPOR ports, and why I suggest if anyone does want to use this type cylinder, to make sure they understand very very well how to use them correctly.

Myself, I know how to work around Propane & Natural gas, but.....the average person out there would not see the danger of just hooking up a forklift type cylinder connection to a camper, the same way it hooks to the forklift. Nearly watched a man die when he hooked a forklift cylinder through the liquid port to his mobile home for heat, because we could not get to him right away to fill his big tank. He had just turned the valve on, and was walking around his home to light it, when we pulled in his drive with the bobtail.
As soon as we got out of the truck, you could smell the vapor odor, and that is when he told us what he was doing. Needless to say, his home got much colder real quick to get the fumes out before he could light his furnace again!

So....that is why I responded the way I did, as someone can get hurt real quick, if they do not understand how to do it right.
Sounds and looks like you are an old pro with using these cylinders, and yes they are very handy to use, when used correctly.

Safe camping
Old 03-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Sounds and looks like you are an old pro with using these cylinders, and yes they are very handy to use, when used correctly.

Safe camping
Not a pro. Not with propane cylinders anyway. I’ve just spent so much time thinking outside the box that I can't find the box anymore.

Sorry if I was rude.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:56 AM   #11

Name: steve and teresa
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout #6
Michigan
Dual tank use two 10lb

I wanted to reduce the weight on my Scamp 16 tongue , but still wanted dual tanks for redundancy and switch over. I took the two twenty pounders off and replaced with two ten pounders.
They are same height so no modification to the tie downs is needed. I added a spacer at the tank bases to keep them properly separated.
Attached Thumbnails
20220329_040129.jpg  
Scamp 16 side dinette Layout #6 2005
Ford Flex 2019
Steve.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:23 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pricey little buggers, those small tanks! I’d like to do that, but for a different reason: one for the trailer, one for the outdoor kitchen.

One tank or two, your real cold weather limitation will be battery power to run the furnace. What size battery are you getting, and how will you recharge during your cold weather outings? How long do you plan to stay out?

You might go a week or two off a single LP tank, assuming judicious furnace use, but your battery will be dead after a couple of days.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:18 AM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
I've never had a trailer with just one tank, it is comforting to know you have a full tank in reserve, when you have no idea of the amount left in the first one.
Propane gauges are notoriously inaccurate. For this reason I use a fiberglass tank that allows me to view contents after dark with a flashlight shined on the tank. I highly recommend fiberglass tanks for this reason. These tanks had problems and recalls early on when I got my first one, but manufacturing faults have been corrected.
If I used a propane furnace I would likely want two tanks when camping in cold weather. We rely on electricity and/or adequate blankets for warmth. I only use my propane for my stove and often cook over an open fire. Therefore I generally get between 240 to 300 days of camping with 20 ponds of propane.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:27 AM   #14

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
When I switched to two 100Ah 12V deep cycle LiFePO4 batteries, I got rid of the two 20 lb propane tanks and switched to one 30 lb propane tank. Would love to swap out that noisy propane heater for a quiet and more economical Propex propane furnace. Then my 30 lb tank would last forever.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We've only ever had one tank on our boler.
Had it filled once on a 3 month holiday.
I wouldnt bother with a second tank
for our style of travel/camping.
The 30# on our small 5th wheel (now sold)
aged out so we just used s 20lber and it never
came close to running out
Old 03-29-2022, 08:17 AM   #16

Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Yes, I did read the link after I responded. Lots of great information, and should be read by everyone who owns a camper using propane!

Correct, the cylinders have LIQUID and VAPOR ports, and why I suggest if anyone does want to use this type cylinder, to make sure they understand very very well how to use them correctly.

Myself, I know how to work around Propane & Natural gas, but.....the average person out there would not see the danger of just hooking up a forklift type cylinder connection to a camper, the same way it hooks to the forklift. Nearly watched a man die when he hooked a forklift cylinder through the liquid port to his mobile home for heat, because we could not get to him right away to fill his big tank. He had just turned the valve on, and was walking around his home to light it, when we pulled in his drive with the bobtail.
As soon as we got out of the truck, you could smell the vapor odor, and that is when he told us what he was doing. Needless to say, his home got much colder real quick to get the fumes out before he could light his furnace again!

So....that is why I responded the way I did, as someone can get hurt real quick, if they do not understand how to do it right.

Safe camping
Yes, well said. Propane is the one petroleum product I never hauled/handled - except on a RV. Hauled gasoline, diesel, kerosene, jet-a, jp-8, av-gas, natural gas condensate, all the different grades of heating oil, road oil, and liquid asphalt.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Propane gauges are notoriously inaccurate.
That depends on the gauge technology. The really bad ones are based on tank pressure which only goes down when you are completely empty. Manchester makes a 20lbs tank with a float gauge.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #18
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
propane 2 tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Pricey little buggers, those small tanks! I’d like to do that, but for a different reason: one for the trailer, one for the outdoor kitchen.

One tank or two, your real cold weather limitation will be battery power to run the furnace. What size battery are you getting, and how will you recharge during your cold weather outings? How long do you plan to stay out?

You might go a week or two off a single LP tank, assuming judicious furnace use, but your battery will be dead after a couple of days.
WHen I ordered my Scamp, I didn’t know about batteries, so I think I got the smaller one. How about if I get a 2nd one, will it fit on the trailer front alongside the first? I have 2-20 lb. propane tanks. Will a 2nd battery add too much weight to the hitch?
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:59 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Shopping
Michigan
I have the group 27 battery ordered and plan to order the solar package
Redneckyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
That depends on the gauge technology. The really bad ones are based on tank pressure which only goes down when you are completely empty. Manchester makes a 20lbs tank with a float gauge.
It isn't a tank!! It is a propane DOT cylinder.

Tags
propane