Propane alarm - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Fun Finder (X139)
I bought my small trailer in April 2009.

When the propane alarm kept going off whenever I connected the trailer to house power, I disconnected it and couldn't get it to work again.

So I bought a NEW one, in May 2009. Same model as the old one.

Safe-T-Alert SURFACE Mt 12V Propane Alarm -WHITE

It cost $50.

In September 2009, my trailer battery was dying, and the new alarm kept squealing, so I disconnected it on a camping trip by separating the wires. The wires in back of the alarm were twisted together with wires from the trailer.

Now, after replacing my trailer battery and re-connecting the alarm, it doesn't work. The NEW alarm.

Does disconnecting the alarm for six months screw them up?

The trailer battery is good. I have lights without house power.

I have tried the wires (back of alarm, coming from trailer) with both combinations, although I think it's green and black together, and red and white together. But neither combination works.

Do I just buy my THIRD alarm in one year? I like that model since it fits in the same slot, under the stove to the left, between the stove and the bathroom. I need no new holes. Other alarms are thicker and don't fit in that groove as well.

Also, can I get an alarm that uses disposable batteries, like a smoke alarm? So I don't have to worry about it draining my RV battery, or disconnecting it every year? Although I did see in another forum I can take the fuse out.

Any ideas...?

paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go to the company web site and ask them.
Is it under warranty?
They need to be replaced with new ones about every 4 years.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Black wire in the trailer is Positive Hot (+)

White wire is Negative Ground (-)

Green wire is Negative grounded to the frame (-)

sounds like you crossed some wires and may have burnt the unit out or simply blew a fuse.....

When testing again you can temporarily put say a 2 amp fuse on the positive and another on the negative so you don't burn out the unit..... test your black wire (+) to see if it's still Hot

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane