Propane blockage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Propane blockage

My 1980 15' Trillium has developed a blockage in the line from the regulator to the stove burner and, it appears, to the refrigerator. It started losing pressure and now is essentially completely blocked. The top half of the regulator seems ok, if you remove the spring and push on the diaphragm it releases pressure. I tried to take the outlet hose off but its pretty tight and starts to twist up the hose.
Has anyone else experienced this, or had any luck removing/replacing the regulator? I have a trip coming up and need to figure this out. Thanks, Tom
Thomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Tom, I had this problem earlier this year. First noticed that the stove would not light. Then tried the fridge and it would not light. I suspected a blockage in the propane line. First to eliminate the possibility that the propane tank safety valve was not working correctly, tried using a different propane tank, but no luck. Next checked whether the lines running FROM the regulator to the stove were blocked by disconnecting at the output side of the regulator and at the stove and then blowing air through. Determined that this was not blocked. I then replaced the regulator (amazon) even though it was only 2 years old. This fixed the problem.

I suspect the blockage was caused by impurities accumulated in an old propane tank passing into the regulator.

Based on my notes below, in hindsight would have been easier to simply replace the regulator.

Notes: To disconnect the propane lines at the stove and at the regulator, two wrenches must be used. Also, in the process of checking for blockage in the propane hose at the output side of the regulator, I broke the brass fitting on the end of the hose. The broken fitting appeared to have a very old crack in it (much of the cracked surface had oxidized). I found a replacement hose that was an exact match. Used LP sealant to put everything back together and leak tested everything. Also running an LP detector...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If you replace the regulator I would also replace the rubber hoses between the tank and regulator and between the regulator and the trailer .
On my 1999 Scamp the rubber hoses had deteriorated and were partially blocked .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #4

Michigan
Registry
Ditto what Steve Dunham said. Here's what I used in my Trillium 4500:

Marshall Excelsior Lp Hose 24" High Pressure MER610-24
Camco 59313 Vertical Two Stage Propane Regulator
Camco 59344 Two Stage Regulator Cover
Parker Brass Pipe Fitting, 90 Degree Street Elbow, 1/4" NPT Male X 1/4" NPT Female
Camco 59843 20" Pigtail Propane Hose Connectors - Acme x 1/4" Male NPT
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #5

Registry
Propane blockage

Camco regulator arrived today. The old one is attached to the trailer so hoping when I take it off I can get that apart ok. I agree line should be replaced but not sure I can get to that before my next trip - if all goes well and has no leakage. Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
Great Tom. Yes, I had to disconnect the regulator from the camper in order to unscrew the "output" hose because the nut on the hose did not turn freely.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

Registry
I have taken the line apart and hooked the new regulator directly to the 3/8"? flexible hose. There was some moisture in it but I got gas flow to the stove and refrig. But the regulator I got screws directly onto the propane bottle so I dont have the extra length of the pigtail to the old regulator, hence the orig hose is too short, its 2', needs to be at least 3' . Its a good idea to replace it anyway but I'm a bit confused on terminology, is it correct that the old hose is a 3/8" female flare swivel x 3/8" male NPT?
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The newer propane regulators seem to be problematic. In 4 years I have replaced 2 regulators and 2 hoses. The first time I went from a very old regulator that went with the trailer when I bought it.I replaced the old regulator and the hoses to my new obd propane bottles. 3 years later I had to replace the regulator again. Moisture in the propane fuel coroded the safety check balls in the regulator. The newer style regulators have these little balls that move and plug the line if the flow gets too much. Like if you break a line or something. Corosion was easily seen if you remove the flexable propane bottle line from the regulator.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Tom, here's the part list I posted previously:

Marshall Excelsior Lp Hose 24" High Pressure MER610-24
Camco 59313 Vertical Two Stage Propane Regulator
Camco 59344 Two Stage Regulator Cover
Parker Brass Pipe Fitting, 90 Degree Street Elbow, 1/4" NPT Male X 1/4" NPT Female
Camco 59843 20" Pigtail Propane Hose Connectors - Acme x 1/4" Male NPT

In the above part list, the hose from regulator ouput to the camper is Marshall Excelsior Lp Hose 24" High Pressure MER610-24, and its two connectors are 3/8" NPT male and 3/8" female flare swivel
Old 07-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #10

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The newer propane regulators seem to be problematic.
Sure would like to know this brand, or do you think it's all brands?
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40bpm View Post
Sure would like to know this brand, or do you think it's all brands?
Hi: 40bpm... Chyna brands?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks for the help, its up and running with a bigger flame on the stove top and the fridge now lights. I havent purchased the 90 degree elbow from the regulator yet but it is needed since the end of the regulator assembly crowds the front of the trailer ( my propane tie down doesnt allow much maneuverability for the angle of the outlet).
In searching for parts I found the old style mounted regulators ( it seems to be a universal bracket) are still available and if I did it over I might try to stay with the original setup.

Tags
propane