Propane/CO Detector Issue - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #21

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
I had the same issue, bought a stand alone sensor to verify the detector was bad and ordered a replacement detector and put it in.

I like having the stand alone sensor so now I have backup.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #22

Name: Joel
Trailer: In the Market
Washington
From experience I can tell you that a broken bottle of Fireball (Cinnamon flavored Whiskey) will set off the alarm.
Joel in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
RamblinRick
You cant be to safe when it comes to Monoxide and Propane.
I dont know of anyone waking up dead.
We also have 2 sensors.
BTW Costco has the 10 year standalone Monoxide sensor on sale.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Alabama
Install a switch under the seat in the hot line going to the detector. If you’re certain the gas tanks valves are closed and the alarm goes off in the middle the night, you can disable the detector until you get a replacement detector .
StevenMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #25

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Do you have a dog? (Especially if that dog is fed dog food that has vegetable components)!
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #26

Name: George
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
North Carolina
These alarms will also activate if it detects low voltage meaning batteries are too low. Happened to me when x country. Manufacturer diagnosed the issue via phone and told me to put a strong charge on batteries at the next camp site with hooks ups. Solved the problem. No more beeping until recently at “end of life” (5 years). The replacement alarm instructions also mentioned the low voltage/battery activation. If you have a new camper and have eliminated gas as the source, I would suspect a low voltage activation.
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardabush View Post
I had the same issue, bought a stand alone sensor to verify the detector was bad and ordered a replacement detector and put it in.

What does it detect? Propane gas? Carbon Monoxide? Smoke? By stand alone, do you mean battery operated? i don't know of a propane gas detector that operates on batteries ( other than house battery ).
Propane gas is heavier than air so detector needs to be near the floor. CO is evenly dispersed so recommended placement is about three feet off the floor. Smoke rises so smoke detector should be closer to the ceiling.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We’ve had issues with the propane detector in our 2013 Casita on 3 different occasions
1) Battery lost a cell - low voltage
2) I cleaned / polished cabinet doors and varnished exposed MDF edges
3) Detector reached end of life
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #29

Name: Dan
Trailer: Airstream
Rhode Island
Get 2 detectors

First of all I don't own a bigfoot or Casita but a airstream, in these Bigfoot/Casita trailers where are the combo detectors mounted, the problem I see is that if this is set up high the propane detector is pretty useless, propane is heavier and sinks so the location of the detector should be within 18" off the ground, next If it was me, I would get separate detectors, a Co/fire detector on batteries located at least 5ft up (Carbon Monoxide rises with warm air) and a propane detector hard wired and placed low, Also propane detectors needs replacement every 5 plus years not sure about Co detectors.

Try this, I found this info on etrailer

What you need to do is use push the Alarm Reset button to attempt to clear the fault. If this does not work, the owner's manual states that "the detector is not functioning properly and must be replaced."
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #30

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx468 View Post
First of all I don't own a bigfoot or Casita but a airstream, in these Bigfoot/Casita trailers where are the combo detectors mounted, the problem I see is that if this is set up high the propane detector is pretty useless, propane is heavier and sinks so the location of the detector should be within 18" off the ground, next If it was me, I would get separate detectors, a Co2/fire detector on batteries located at least 5ft up (Carbon Monoxide rises with warm air) and a propane detector hard wired and placed low, Also propane detectors needs replacement every 5 plus years not sure about Co2 detectors.

Look at attached image and try resetting the detector
The propane detector in a Casita is located in the proper location , down near floor level
Old 09-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #31

Name: Beth K
Arizona
Yep, I found out that if my big dog slept with his butt near the detector, the alarm might go off!
vanstaats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #32

Name: Dan
Trailer: Airstream
Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The propane detector in a Casita is located in the proper location , down near floor level
But if it’s a combo unit the co detector should be at least 5 ft up. Carbon monoxide rises in warm air. That’s why I suggested getting separate units.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #33

Name: Nancy
Trailer: 2019 Casita 17’ Spirit Deluxe
North Carolina
I also have a 2019 Casita Spirit Deluxe and had the same thing occur with the CO alarm. I know this sounds insane, but I have linked it to when your house battery is just about dead or very low. If you run your fridge and/or hot water heater on DC along with other items in the trailer, it runs the battery down pretty quick. I was off-grid in Canada last summer after picking up my trailer and had the CO detector going off until I switched my fridge and hot water heater onto propane and charged my battery via solar. I think when the house battery gets low, the detector goes crazy. I have gotten good now at using the 12volt battery monitor that Casita supplies. Make sure to check your battery often and keep it charged up. BTW I have the AGM battery upgrade from Casita. So unless you have shore power, charge your house battery via solar, generator, or plug it into your vehicle and run your vehicle for 20 minutes or so. Should fix the CO alarm issue. And BTW, you don’t need a new detector!!!!! This is a low battery issue.
Skyedog in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #34

My detectors said I could place them anywhere because CO blends with the air and the detector will work anywhere. The following came from a search.

Carbon monoxide blends with your home’s air and does not rise.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #35

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
My detectors said I could place them anywhere because CO blends with the air and the detector will work anywhere. The following came from a search.

Carbon monoxide blends with your home’s air and does not rise.
The way it was explained to me

Air and CO have almost the same weight .
The refrigerator , water heater and furnace burners are closer to the floor than they are to the ceiling , so the CO would most likely concentrate down at bed level long before it would at 5 or 6 feet . ( Assuming there is not any forced circulation of the air in the trailer
Since I sleep at bed level and would most likely succumb to CO while sleeping , I don’t have an issue with placing a CO detector down at a lower elevation.
I would add a second CO detector long before I would remove the existing CO detector
I think Darwin pretty well nailed it !!
Old 09-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyedog in NC View Post
Should fix the CO2 alarm issue. And BTW, you don’t need a new detector!!!!! This is a low battery issue.

CO2 is carbon dioxide, the stuff you exhale.

The detector needs to alarm in the presence of carbon monoxide ( CO ).
Carbon monoxide is not heavier or lighter than air. It spreads evenly. The reason for mounting the detector about three feet off the floor is that's about where your nose is when sleeping.
Propane gas, however is heavier than air, which is why the detector is mounted near the floor.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #37

North Carolina
My bad—you are correct!!! Thanks for catching my error. Yes, CO it is.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #38

I have posted this B 4 several years ago.

1. Several years ago, over on the Chesapeake Bay a family of 4 were boating. Something went wrong with the exhaust behind the boat and CO came Over the Back of the boat and traveled down into the cabin area where 2 children were sleeping. When they docked they were able to wake on of their children and the other had died of CO poisoning. So much for the argument that CO rises with the heat.

Number 2.
Several years ago in Louisa County, VA a lady got up B 4 her Husband and child, lit the stove and the camper blew up. It turns out that a very small leak of propane will lose the BAD SMELL over time so your nose will not detect it. They were badly burned and lived. Now think about this: All propane devices are closed, the gas line is CHARGED with propane and you turn off the tank valve. (Lines are still charged meaning they are pressurized) Your detector goes off but you are safe because the tank is off, Question - Would a SLOW leak in a CHARGED line be a danger? Air out the camper and do not disconnect your detector.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #39

North Carolina
Yup, you got it. Happens in Casitas for sure.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #40

Name: David
Trailer: uhaul- Jayco
California
If you a comfortable soldering the actual sensor on the circuit board can be replaced for about $10. That is the part that goes bad after several years. If the LED is yellow and not green it is likely the sensor- I just did this on mine. If you search for "Flammable gas sensor TGS2610" on ebay you will find the one that fit my Safe T Alert. Though you may want to check if yours is the same by removing the two screws on the back under the sticker to confirm.
Theguide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, propane