Propane Consumption - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Propane Consumption

Need some expert help.

I used a 30 lb propane tank (mounted externally) to run my 6.5 cu ft refrigerator. It lasted just under a month. In this same time period, I used the furnace twice to warm up the camper for 10 -15 minutes twice. And I left the teapot on full for about 10 hours.

It seems like it should have lasted longer. My understanding is a 20 lb tank should last a month and a 30 lb tank should last about 6 weeks running a fridge of this size.

Am I right or wrong?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Need some expert help.

I used a 30 lb propane tank (mounted externally) to run my 6.5 cu ft refrigerator. It lasted just under a month. In this same time period, I used the furnace twice to warm up the camper for 10 -15 minutes twice. And I left the teapot on full for about 10 hours.

It seems like it should have lasted longer. My understanding is a 20 lb tank should last a month and a 30 lb tank should last about 6 weeks running a fridge of this size.

Am I right or wrong?
Thats a pretty decent sized fridge - so its consumption rate is going to be much greater than what many of us here experience with the smaller fridges. Also what was the weather like when you were running the fridge for a month like? Warm? its going to eat more propane in warm weather than cool weather.

Another thought is whats the BTU rating on the burner on the stove you ran for 10 hours at full power? - I know that each one on mine is different.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A 20 pound tank of propane contains about 433,000 btu's of energy. Once you know how much your appliances consume, it's simple math. My furnace uses 12,000 BTU's per hour, the water heater consumes 8,800 BTU's/ hour, and my 'fridge uses 1,000 BTU's per hour. I didn't check my stove BTU rating.

Doing the math, the 'fridge should run about 18 days on one 20 pound tank of propane.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #4

Connecticut
It seems a 30 pound ( or perhaps less if not filled completely) with the other uses is about what I consumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I once got a full tank of propane!... only once!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
anecdotal..not scientific, but when I am living off grid using propane for cooking and fridge only (My heater runs of its own tank and my hot water comes from a teapot...) a 20 pounder lasts me about a month. I have an old and small fridge.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Propane Consumption

The big question here is if a propane tank at 50% capacity is half full or half empty? LOL!

Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
No water heater use? Those tend to use quite a bit.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #9

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I once got a full tank of propane!... only once!

I checked behind the barn and found more than a dozen tanks. Most were old and out of date. Lots had the wrong valves. I too them to Home Depot swapped them all for new tanks with new valves and then took them to be topped off. It is nice to have full tanks. Even so I was burning through 20 lb tanks fast last winter.

I have two 30's I'm using on an external two stage regulator and hose. These tanks are old and the date and weight a have been painted over. I will try and swap these for 29 lb tanks when they run out, or else scrap them. I plan to buy two 40 lb tanks or maybe three for use this winter. I am debating getting propane delivery and renting a much bigger tank.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
II am debating getting propane delivery and renting a much bigger tank.
Long ago in my trailer park days, people coveted the 100 lb tanks as that was the largest size that could be transported (legally) by the average Joe to take and get filled. I suppose they now also have to have the new valve. I was given a really large permanent tank by a neighbor years ago, and it still had propane in it! I have not looked into getting it filled, or if it is even still fillable. It has been painted (silver) but shows significant rust pits underneath the paint. It may end up at the scrap yard or as somebody's grill/smoker some day.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #11

Connecticut
I would like a 100 lb cylinder but then how do you transport it vertically except on a trailer? Then to fill it , it has to be weighed. Getting if is easier than back on. I'd rather have a 20+ gallon fixed tank with overfill protection.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #12

North Florida
Quote:
I would like a 100 lb cylinder but then how do you transport it vertically except on a trailer?
I never had one myself and never hauled one, but did help others get them on and off a truck. I don't know why it has to be moved vertical though?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #13

Connecticut
All propane cylinders have to be carried vertically. If they vent. You want gas coming out not liquid which expands 200 times in volume. Lay it down inside a car ? A big no-no

Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #14

North Florida
Quote:
All propane cylinders have to be carried vertically. If they vent. You want gas coming out not liquid which expands 200 times in volume. Lay it down inside a car ? A big no-no
Are you really talking about hauling a 100 lb propane bottle in a car?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I am a bit surprised to find this is true. See the following URL for more information: http://www.mutualpropane.ab.ca/Porta...eCylinders.pdf

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
They don't sell horizontal propane tanks in Canada? I see this PDF Dan referenced is a Canadian document. What about big moho's that have horizontal propane tanks? Hummm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
They don't sell horizontal propane tanks in Canada? I see this PDF Dan referenced is a Canadian document. What about big moho's that have horizontal propane tanks? Hummm.
While horizontal tanks exist (I have used a portable horizontal tank with a fork lift) they, like vertical tanks should be transported in their operating orientation for the reason Night Sailor stated. You do not want the vent to dump liquid propane, particularly in an enclosed vehicle.

The motorhome tanks are designed for permanent mounting, and I believe are regulated differently than portable tanks. Some permanent tanks (although not the motorhome versions) have both gas & liquid outlets.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes the do but all the vents and knobs etc are not on the very end but on the long side of tank so they vent from the top not the end.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
My slide-in camper for a pickup truck had 2 horizontal 20 tanks; think they all still do. Had to haul them in/out to refill.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #20

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
My slide-in camper for a pickup truck had 2 horizontal 20 tanks; think they all still do. Had to haul them in/out to refill.
Yes. I owned for several years a 12' Real Lite, side entry, cabover camper. It had 2 horizontal 20# tanks with an auto switchover valve/regulator. I had to take each tank out separately for refill. They had the valve/controls in the normal place (at the end) but each one had a 'saddle' bracket welded to the side for horizontal stability. Pretty sure that the internal pickup tube was for horizontal use even tho they were filled from a vertical position. Each used a regular POL fitting for filling/delivery connection. We made the Alaska Highway trip with that camper in '93 & I had at least 1 tank filled in Canada (Lethbridge, AB ??)with no problem (rules may have been different then??). Glad I never had to replace either of those tanks as I'm sure they'd have been more expensive than a standard vertical 20# 'bottle'. At most propane dealers they still use a 'quick spin hand wheel' POL type valve for refilling tanks, even the ones with QC-1 valves & the OPD device.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane