Propane fridge won't stay lit after the minute hold down - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
My fridge ignites just fine, but as soon as I take my finger off the knob the pilot goes out again. I held that knob down way over the 60 seconds it says to, and it is lighting up just fine. Soon as I release the knob the pilot goes completely out. I am doing it in the dark so I can see that the pilot died out. Any suggestions???
Thanks

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
hold it longer you got to get the thermostat hot enough to hold the valve open. try holding it for a few minuets and see what happens. if it normally lites in 60 sec then i don't know. But mine used to say 60 sec on it and it always took longer than that.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:26 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
if it doesn't fire up after a fairly good warm-up, meter the thermo-coupling. It should give you a milli-volt reading after the pilot flame heats it up a bit. It generates a small voltage that the gas valve depends on in order for the pilot to stay lit. The thermo-coupling is relatively cheap and easy to replace. Or you can take it to a RV dealer where he will charge you much more to diagnose it than the thermo-coupling costs. Also the placement of the thermo-coupling in the hot spot of the flame, the flame itself, gas valve, etc can also go wrong. But the thermo-coupling is a cheap do-it-yourself repair that stands a good chance of nailing it.
DwayneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I also have that problem. I have had to replace the thermo coupling on the gas furnace at home but it never even crossed my mind to check it out on the trailer fridge. Thanks for the heads up.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
meter the thermo-coupling. It should give you a milli-volt reading after the pilot flame heats it up a bit. It generates a small voltage that the gas valve depends on in order for the pilot to stay lit.
Well that explains the little gauge on mine that moves when the fridge is lit. Would it be very difficult for someone to add a gauge to theirs? It sure helps when you can't see the pilot even when it's lit.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Karalyn,

The voltage from a pilot should be a minimum of 30 milli volts, the thermocouple sensor must be in the blue part of the pilot flame and NOT in the yellow, or away from the crown of the flame...the most common cause of this issue is a bad connection where the thermocouple screws into the 100% safety valve, unscrew the thermocouple and clean with an ink pen eraser and screw it in again trying once more. If the unit has been dormant a while have someone hold the button while its lit, then have someone else at the same time tap the safety valves aluminum body with the plastic handle of a screw driver a couple of times sharply but lightly...this oft unsticks a moody safety valve.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry

Quote:
My fridge ignites just fine, but as soon as I take my finger off the knob the pilot goes out again. I held that knob down way over the 60 seconds it says to, and it is lighting up just fine. Soon as I release the knob the pilot goes completely out. I am doing it in the dark so I can see that the pilot died out. Any suggestions???
Thanks
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, propane