propane gas detector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
propane gas detector

We're picking up a new Scamp 13 in a couple months - first trailer experience for us - and plan on a week of camping on the route back home from Backus. We're trying to think ahead to equip ourselves and our TV for the trip. One question we're not clear about: should we be installing a gas detector? If so do you experienced folks have recommendations on preferred brand/model. My understanding from Scamp is that they come equipped with a CO detector, but not propane gas detection. Thanks
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
LP detectors are almost unheard of in RV's. Not one of the bigger concerns for most of us I don't think.

BUT>>> There is a gauge you can install in the lines or at the tank and, when you turn off the tank, if it doesn't hold pressure in the lines you usually have a leak somewhere.

I don't know if SCAMP doe such a leak test on new trailers but, especially if not,
as a precaution, when buying a NEW trailer, I would take a couple of wrenches and check all of the installed fittings to verify that they are tight. Except for the one behind the cook top, it shouldn't take very long.

LP Lines & fittings are very low pressure, not all that much to worry about.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you haven't seen it yet there was a thread called "Stocking your First Trailer" that you may find helpful.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If this is a new trailer, one would think that the system would have been leak-tested before you pick it up. If you're still concerned, Scamp would probably do it again while you're there. CO/oxygen depletion is the biggest danger associated with propane- that's why new trailers come with CO detectors. But that's only during combustion of course.

I do have my old Trillium's gas system leak-tested periodically...$25.00 at the local RV place. Otherwise I don't worry about it.

One's nose is a pretty good detector- that's why they put mercaptin in an otherwise odorless gas.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape has a MTI Industries propane alarm as standard feature.
Had to go out to trailer to find the info. Reading the instruction manual, I realize it is only a propane alarm and doesn't monitor CO. Have to investigate getting a dual smoke / CO alarm, or, I'll just have to bring the CO detector from the house when we go camping.
What I learned that is more important, is that it is valuable to keep all your instruction manuals and read them from time to time. I haven't tested mine in a long time, but I do have the instructions to do that, and the test will tell me if it needs to be repaired or replaced.
Another interesting tidbit is that you are NOT to use a butane lighter to "test" the unit, because it can damage the sensor.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #6

Registry
Just remember that most/many CO Detectors only have about a 4 to 5 year shelf life......
Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Just remember that most/many CO Detectors only have about a 4 to 5 year shelf life......
I have to re-read the instructions ( too cold out there right now ) to find that reference, which is common with detectors.
But, I'm going to test it first before I replace it automatically.
Found combo CO / Natural Gas detectors and multi-gas detectors on Can Tire site, but need to investigate further.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

Registry
Well, I can't speak for all brands but I know the one I put in the trailer when I first got it indicated that and the one in the house is hard wired so a little different...
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #9

Went and got the instructions.
The MTI Industries propane detector instructions do not say anything about replacing the alarm after five years ( that I can find ). What it does say is: "Malfunction Alarm. A fault in the sensors operation will activate malfunction alarm. The LED will turn Yellow and the sounder activate...return it for repair or replacement ( has a one-year warranty ).
I'm going to email them to ask about the 5-year replacement issue and will report.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Went and got the instructions.
The MTI Industries propane detector instructions do not say anything about replacing the alarm after five years ( that I can find ). What it does say is: "Malfunction Alarm. A fault in the sensors operation will activate malfunction alarm. The LED will turn Yellow and the sounder activate...return it for repair or replacement ( has a one-year warranty ).
I'm going to email them to ask about the 5-year replacement issue and will report.
Is there a best before date or anything like that on the back of yours there was on mine.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #11

Registry
Found this Blog RVUpgrades Blog: When to Replace your RV Carbon Monoxide Detector which gives a bit more info in regards to testing and the life expectance of detectors.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #12

Yup, but that's a CO detector, not a a propane gas detector. I have replaced smoke detectors which have expiry date.
I've sent an email to MTI asking the replacement question.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
New (and not so new) Owners TIP #291

Every time I get a new-to-me RV I grab a 1" 3 ring binder and fill it with at least 30- clear plastic page holders.

Then, as I gather information, manuals, pics and whatever, they go into the sleeves for future reference. I also go on-line and Google every appliance and print out any installation, parts and service manuals that pop-up.

That way I know where they are at when I need them. BTW: That always goes with us when we travel.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #14

My binder is green. What color is yours?
I have instruction manuals for stuff I no longer own.
I also have a log where I keep my to do list and notes like when I replaced battery or re-packed wheel bearings.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Amazon has a wide selection of them. Hard wired or battery op.
I have a hard time smelling gas when I'm sleeping. I don't use the pilot light on my stove. It has blown out at times with all the windows open.
I have mine installed low, lp is heavier and collects near the floor.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My binder is green. What color is yours?
I have instruction manuals for stuff I no longer own.
I also have a log where I keep my to do list and notes like when I replaced battery or re-packed wheel bearings.
Mine is Black! It has all the appliance manuals and even includes the original Scamp Brochure and order form with pricing from Scamp!

What cool is your log? - Mine is black but I also include info about the places I have camped and make notes as to where I might camp if I went back to the same area again.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
I have mine installed low, lp is heavier and collects near the floor.
There are a number of factors for installation. MTI says 4" to 20" from the floor, not near a door etc. etc.
It really pays to read the instruction manual and save it to refresh yourself later ( which is what I've been doing today ).
Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #18

My log is black and probably from the same Staples store on Marine Drive.
I also make notes on campsites, weather, recipes, fishing success ( or lack of ).
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #19

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Mine is Black! It has all the appliance manuals and even includes the original Scamp Brochure and order form with pricing from Scamp!

What cool is your log? - Mine is black but I also include info about the places I have camped and make notes as to where I might camp if I went back to the same area again.
Oh,oh love this sight more everyday...we all think so much alike! mine is white..... I include all the above. I have another(also 3 ring binder)More like a campers log book,that has pictures of our camp and maps of the campgrounds and trails.I also list cost to get there,stay there and if we will go back again.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
I have a hard time smelling gas when I'm sleeping. I don't use the pilot light on my stove. It has blown out at times with all the windows open.
If I may ask: what make/model of stove is in your Bigfoot?

I don't think I've ever heard of an RV stove that has a pilot light. Most in my experience are either match lit or have a spark (piezo) ignition.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane