Propane hose for camp stove - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 06:49 AM   #1

Name: Craig
Trailer: U-Haul
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Propane hose for camp stove

I have read quite a few threads about attaching propane hoses to the trailer tank to feed camp stoves and grills. I believe that I understand most of what is needed but I do have a few questions.

We do most of our cooking outside of the trailer. We set up a table next to the trailer for the camp stove. For years we have taken the 20 lb propane tank off of the trailer and set it next to the stove. A pole is attached to the tank with a POL left hand thread and a lantern is screwed to the top with a 1"x20 thread typical of the disposable 1 lb tanks. The pole also has two 1"x20 male connections for attaching the camp stove. These must be high pressure connections because the camp stove has a regulator.

It would be much more convenient to leave the tank on the trailer and run a hose to the pole (which I will mount to the table). Also it would be really nice to have quick disconnect fittings. I see a Sturgis tank adapter that attaches to the tank with ACME threads, has a high pressure quick disconnect (described to use for refilling the tank) and has the ACME attachment for the trailer regulator. Can the quick disconnect be used to feed the camp stove?

In my research on this forum, it was mentioned that there are different quick disconnect fittings for high pressure and low pressure. The QD fitting on the above mentioned Sturgis tank adapter must be high pressure but I do not see any hoses or component part high pressure QD. Where can one purchase the components?

On the camp stove side, is there an adapter from male QD to female 1"x20, to screw onto the male 1"x20 outlets on the pole?

Sorry for the long description but I do not know any other way of learning but asking long detailed questions.

Craig T
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
My camp stove is a Weber baby Q and it also comes with it's own regulator. I removed it and added a quick connect in its place. Then I disconnected the propane hose from underneath the regulator on the trailer tongue and added a tee and pipes with a quick connect attached.

The grill now uses the low pressure propane out of the tanks. (Can't have two regulators working.) Bought a 10 foot hose with quick connect. Now I don't need to remove my 20 pound tank to use it with the Weber.
Attached Thumbnails
WeberQ.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #3

That looks like a very convenient setup Myron.

I was hoping to leave my camp stove stock so that if needed I could attach a 1 lb disposable tank.

With some more research I believe most of the parts needed to install a QD high pressure fitting at the tank are available from Sturgis. The QD fittings are a bit confusing. It looks like the Model 250 is for low pressure, the 5LPN is for high pressure. Can anyone confirm that I interpreted the info correctly?

A long hose is what I am looking for. About 15', high pressure, QD male on one end, QD female on the other end. 1/4 male NPT / 1/4 female NPT would work also since mating QD fittings are available. Does anyone know where a hose might be available?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Waiting on 16" Scamp
Colorado Springs
Hi pressure to grill

Hello,
I already had an appliance hi pressure hose but want to connect to the propane bottle and didn't really want to cut the hose and install a connector. Found the ME418P that allows an appliance hose to be attached without disconnecting the main line. Also nice that it can be moved elsewhere if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Exce.../dp/B00K24ADR4
mm2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Mr Heater makes propane hoses in various lengths so you can use propane appliances designed to be used with one pound propane cylinders with 20 lb tanks
I’ve had one for about 10 years and it’s still in great shape and working well !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We have a 10 lb propane tank we haul in the front box on the Escape. When I’m ready to use propane, remote away from the trailer, I get the tank, an auxiliary 10 Ft (or so) Weber hose without any regulator and put one end on the tank and the other end hooked up to our Weber, or our Camp Chef stove or the Campfire in a Can one at a time. I suppose we could get a pole with multiple taps, I am familiar with them, but usually don’t run a lantern. A few times I’ve hung my lantern off of one of those heavy duty lantern hanger poles made by Pilot Rock, and I screw the hose into the bottom of the lantern where the one pound cylinder usually hooks up. But this is rare. For being out in the evening I usually sit under the awning and turn on the led strip and dim it down. That’s plenty of light to find my cooler and a bottle opener. Just our way of doing it.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #7
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Tejas Smokers (on-line) has all the high pressure or low pressure fittings, including quick disconnects, and applicable hoses you could ever want. And that is not a misspelling; it is Tejas, not Texas.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 AM   #8

Great info folks! Just what I need. Thanks to you all.

Mike, I am hoping that I can modify the hookup to the tank to include a high pressure quick disconnect, I think it would look similar to your fitting.

Steve, Mr Heater has the exact hose I want. No custom fab needed.

Dave, for many years now I have taken the only propane tank (20 lb) off of the trailer and set it up for the lantern and stove. But my current trailer does not have any gas appliances inside. I took the stove out and no heater. My new trailer (when it arrives in 6 months or so) has a stove and heater so I want to leave the tank installed. If I can find a convenient place to store a 10 lb tank that might work.

Carl, looks like a great source for components. My understanding is that Tejas was the original name for what is now Texas.

A question for you learned folk about the assembly attached to the tank...
The regulator assembly screws onto the tank with an ACME connector. Next would be the high pressure quick disconnect, then the regulator and the connection to the trailer. I do not have my new trailer yet but the photos look like it is a 2 stage regulator. This makes the entire assembly very long when assembled in a straight line. I am concerned about the bending loads at the tank from the long assembly.

Can the regulators operate at any angle? Can they be oriented vertically? That would reduce the length extending out from the tank and reduce the bending loads.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
ask the manufacturer of your new trailer, hook up questions;perhaps they can do it for you.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #10

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
HP splitter

You can put this splitter on your tank, Leave the trailer hooked up and use the Mr Buddy hose when needed while the tank stays put.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:13 AM   #11

Does anyone know if the regulators can function properly when oriented vertically?
Old 07-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
CPW

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
Does anyone know if the regulators can function properly when oriented vertically?
Yes, they can but they have a tiny vent hole which should be protected from rain by NOT facing up.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:01 AM   #13

Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
If you tap into the high pressure side of your trailer mounted tank, make the hose length as short as possible and the low pressure line as long as required. If you fill a hose with high pressure gas you will have to bleed off a lot of gas when you disconnect it. I attached a tee which has two female quick disconnect fittings directly to the tank. One line goes to the trailer, the other to outside stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Propa...6214753&sr=8-4

Tags
propane