Propane not working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Propane not working

I cannot get my hot water heater nor my refrigerator to run on propane. Both run on AC. I have a two tank setup. I did get a heater to run directly from one of the tanks, so tanks are probably not the problem.

I did see the youtube video re cleaning nozzles, and have not done that.

Any other testing I should do?

Thanks,

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
I cannot get my hot water heater nor my refrigerator to run on propane. Both run on AC. I have a two tank setup. I did get a heater to run directly from one of the tanks, so tanks are probably not the problem.

Thanks,

-- Anne
Yes.. see The RV Doctor: What the Pro's Do - Propane System

(The go to a professional for a full propane system check)

Lots of things can be the problem.. one example...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...yle-82507.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #3

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
In many years of using propane, have only needed to clean one nozzle one time.
The fact that it is two appliances leads me to think it is more likely to be the regulator, regulators are cheap and easy to install, and they do deteriorate over time.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I agree it's probably the regulator. We had intermittent issues with all of our appliances until I tested with a manometer and found intermittent/low pressure. I removed the very cheap regulator and replaced it with a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H. Not a cheapo, but zero issues since.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/06-0441-...8aAsO5EALw_wcB
Old 04-26-2018, 11:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Before I went to expense and work of replacing the regulator I would wan to make sure at least one tank was mostly full and that's the active tank. I have run into problems with an almost empty tank causing low pressure. Another thing to do is turn the tank off and back on slowly. There is a safety valve in the tank that if the gas system (line ) is empty the gas will shut off. The cure is open the valve slowly. You may have to close and open the valve several times. Then light cook burners to make sure the gas is flowing.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #6

North Carolina
Thanks for the suggestions, all. Will follow up with the troubleshooting.

Byron, I failed to mention that one tank I tested with was recently filled, and I did open them very slowly and tried many times. When I turned the tank off and unscrewed the hose from the tank, it gave a brief hiss, so the tank was trying to send gas on its way.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #7

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
I gotta get around to changing the regulator on our Boler, it passes gas OK, but does not switch tanks properly. Oh well, another job for when we go south in the winter.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Swap tank left to right and then check your burners Then fiddle with the switch on the regulator. I trade in my tanks and sometimes I get a stubborn one and have to use it on my BBQ which never has problems. The gas valve on my Scamp always has issues at the 3 year mark because with 2 bottles and our limited use of the camper, the side that doesnt get used, the safety valve corrodes and wont let gas through. so you either have to fix that or replace the valve.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Does the furnace run? If not you may not have enough DC power. I believe all three have electronic ignition, translation none will work without enough DC power.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:

Thanks,

-- Anne
:Anne I had a similar problem one time, when I finally figured it after working my butt off cleaning everything in site, almost pulling the HWH and Fridge apart turns out I forgot to turn the Propane on.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #11

North Carolina
Propane is on (but have been guilty of similar oversights! so thank you for that suggestion). I'll try swapping tanks -- haven't tried that. I do not have a stove or furnace, just the water heater and fridge.

Any suggestions on how to check DC power? The hot water is automatic, and it certainly clicks quite a few times before giving up. (Camper is currently plugged in.)

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
I had a similar problem. I would almost guarantee it is the regulator at the propane tanks. They do fail. About $50 for a new one.

CharlieJ
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #13

North Carolina
Success!

Bought and installed a new regulator with help from an Uncle who could tap screw holes. (Otherwise duct tape or zip ties would have beeen the mounting preference.). Hot water works fine. Will try the refrigerator shortly. Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, did use yellow tape and liquid detergent. Learned that from other postings.

Thanks, all.

—Anne
Old 05-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Bought and installed a new regulator ...
So going back to my first reply in this thread and the link to

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...yle-82507.html

Hopefully you got it installed properly. Mine did not come with any instructions but I researched it and was careful to make sure that it was NOT installed the way the old one was (with the vent horizontal) since that is why it failed prematurely.

I also found that even though the regulator is supposed to be adjusted at the factory, mine was out of specifications on the high side. So IMHO, even with a new one that seems to work OK, a manometer test is required. And the pressure drop test will ensure that you have no leaks, even those that might be missed by the soapy water method.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane