Propane questions..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Propane questions.....

When I bought my early 1970's Compact Junior last fall I lit the stove and everything seemed to work fine.

It's been a long cold spring here but I'm getting ready for my first camping trip with her in a couple of weeks.

I went out to light the stove but when I turned the gas on at the tank there was loud hissing and the clear odor of propane.

These are old tanks, and I'm sure newer campers use more modern hook-ups. I also suspect that I may not be able to refill these older tanks.

I tried to remove the left hand tank but the connection at the tank wouldn't come loose and I don't want to muscle it. Both tanks seem to have a lot of gas in them.

So my questions are how can I dispose of these old tanks with a lot of gas in them? And how much "new" do I need? I assume new tank(s), new regulator, not sure if I need new line. The stove did work last fall.

If I get new tanks I would probably just want one, and may want a smaller one, maybe a ten pounder.

I have a nice propane camping stove and about 15 one pound canisters on hand and may be content to use them in the future. Might like to carry a spare or battery on the tongue instead of big tanks.

First order of business though is to get rid of these.
Attached Thumbnails
propane tanks.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The Blue Rhino one can be exchanged at places that do that. I can't tell because of the black plastic cover, but the other tank looks like it as well. The outside thread is the key. If the valve has that, it is good for exchange.

But that regulator looks really old. I think that is your problem. That and the tubing you are connecting to the tank with. You should have rubber propane hoses. Get all that replaced. You should mount the regulator to something as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
appears the right tank is not connected.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Since the tank only "hissed" after you opened the valves, I think it likely that David has called it right- the problem is in the connections. It may be something as simple as needing tightening right at the tanks, though. There's nothing special about newer connections- the tank on the right clearly has the older valve on it, but nothing about that design would produce the symptoms you describe. The best way to dispose of propane is to use it. I think once you've established where (if anywhere) leaks are coming from you should correct those defects and do just that.

The right-hand tank is not of course refillable due to its older, now unapproved valve. Your choice in that department is to replace the valve or trade in the tank.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The newer tanks have a Triangular valve handle as on the left Blue Rhino tank. The right tank looks to have the old style rounded valve handle and can not be refilled. At one time Blue Rhino would take those old tanks in on trade and refit them with the new valves but I think they no longer do that. John, you do realize that the older tanks that had a female thread are left hand thread?? I have a 7 lb and a 11 lb tank, (correct name is cylinder) but they are much more expensive than the common 20 pounder, and no one has them for exchange. A Blue Rhino driver gave them to me as they don't want them. To dispose of old tanks I have to pay a fee at my local transfer station (dump), and the tanks have to be empty. If you're not going to use them, give them to someone that has a gas grill.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #6

Michigan
thanks Dave.....

Just took a closer look. Yes, the tank on the left has the exterior thread. The right tank doesn't have it.

I'll have to visit a nearby rv shop and seeing about getting things updated.

Still not sure what to do with the old unfillable tank.
Attached Thumbnails
propane close up.jpg  
Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #7

Michigan
you good people are so fast....!!!

While I'm responding to Dave I get great responses from Darwin, Bob and Francesca!

thanks to all of you.

Bob, by left hand thread do you mean the old rule "lefty loosey, righty tighty" is reversed?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
You should for safety replace the regulator, the hose from under the trailer to the regulator and the hose from the regulator to the tank.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Can those hoses be changed out by a layman or do they need to be replaced by a gas fitter?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
thanks to all of you.

Bob, by left hand thread do you mean the old rule "lefty loosey, righty tighty" is reversed?
Yes, the tank valve that has internal threads are backwards from the normal "righty tight", so it will be "righty loosey"
Old 05-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #11

New York
The triangular valve handle designates the valve as being the new required OPD valve, or "Overfill Protection Device". Those valves have both the old internal (female) left hand thread and the newer style external right hand thread. I would use up that old tank and then find a way to scrap it.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
Just took a closer look. Yes, the tank on the left has the exterior thread. The right tank doesn't have it.

I'll have to visit a nearby rv shop and seeing about getting things updated.

Still not sure what to do with the old unfillable tank.
Both tanks in your pics have the internal threads required for use by your present pigtail connection. The older one without external threads is not refillable. I advise using up the propane in it and disposing of the cylinder. In my opinion and on a cylinder this size, it's more expensive than the bottle's worth to change out the valve.

Here's a heads up:

It's my understanding that those will be accepted in trade at Blue Rhino retailers. Didn't used to be true, and there's a long story behind it. In any case, do take it on down to Home Depot/wherever and give that a try. Best way to get rid of it, in my opinion....and since Blue Rhino bottles no longer have proprietary valves, you'll end up with a (relatively) new, certified, refillable bottle that you can fill up anywhere.

But use up the propane first!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #13

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Propane lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Can those hoses be changed out by a layman or do they need to be replaced by a gas fitter?
I could do the work but I am on the left coast so it is to far to go for me. Most anyone with tools can do the job. Test for leaks using soap in a spray bottle.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As far as disposal goes we have recycling/transfer station locally where old tanks can be taken - full or empty at no fee. Where they are correctly purged of propane if you haven't been able to for what ever reason use up whats left in it.

Here in Canada when you go to refill a tank they will check the date stamp on the collar if its more than 10 years old they will not fill it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #15

New York
According to Blue Rhinos website they still exchange the old style tanks. If you are looking to exchange for a tank you want to keep and get refilled try to get one that is dated in the last couple years. Blue Rhino updates the inspection dates as necessary. I go to my local transfer station (dump) once a week and am surprised at the number of 20 lb tanks there, don't understand why they don't get traded in. Some of my tanks I get filled at my local Agway, some I exchange. Refill may be cheaper.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here in Canada when you go to refill a tank they will check the date stamp on the collar if its more than 10 years old they will not fill it.
I thought it was 12 years, maybe different in Canada. I exchange any old (or rusty and beat up) ones and refill the new ones, if possible. I have seen refill prices as low as $12 to $14, but also up to $22, exchanges usually $22 or so.
I would recommend replacing the old external lines and and regulator with one that allows switching between tanks seamlessly.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #17

New York
Paul, I believe you're right on the 12 year inspection period, but that's only from when the tank is new. After that date the next inspection period is shorter, I can't remember how long, may be 7 years. I should know this, but it's been over 20 years since I worked for a propane supplier so don't remember all the specifics.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The re-certification is for 5 years at a time. Google is our friend.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When changing hoses - You should use a thread sealer on the connections. They sell this stuff in the pluming section at Lowes and Home Depot. It will say on the small plastic container for GAS and list other applications as we'll.

Be careful with this stuff and don,t let any get on the inside of the connector where it would get inside of the hose.

They also sell a Teflon tape made for Gas lines. It is usually in a yellow container and also yellow in color.

Be sure to use soapy water to check for leaks when finished. Dish washing soap works really well. If there is even the smallest of leak, you will see bubles.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane